My raw fed cat has been pukey lately

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind. She doesn't shed a ton and licks quite often and rarely has hairballs. I do notice hair in her feces (gross that I check, I know). I only checked since she started puking I was looking for worms etc...My cat does seem very anxious lately too, probably because she's not feeling well.
It's definitely worth keeping in mind! Edwina, for example, rarely barfs up an actual hairball but there are sometimes small amounts of loose fur when she vomits. (Trust me, I understand all too well about checking!)

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it does help any but want to share my recent experience on raw-cat-puke issue.

- one of my cat started to puke raw.
- she was fine with canned chicken/turkey/lamb/duck but puke homemade raw (chicken, chicken and turkey mix, chicken and duck mix) (with own supplement or with alnutrin)(with bone or without bone)
- her sister was fine with raw, means no bad batch food

Met regular vet and nothing found. Was told that since I figured out she cannot eat raw but fine with canned, keep feeding canned.

I had consultation with holistic vet. His diagnosis was - spleen imbalance causing liver imbalance, and food coming back from front instead of going down. Was told that kitty is having too much ying or yang in stomach (forgot which one), therefore giving warm (not temperature warm but traditional Chinese medicine has cool/neutral/warm protein types) protein is not good. Give it a try with Turkey because it is neutral. I made Turkey only batch and - voila! No more puke.

I guess what I wanted to share is - if you are open to holistic approach maybe there are some other insight. Endoscopy sounds really scary. Hope your kitty will start feeling better very soon!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Bengal is 8 years old?
I could assume that with all the testing you've done, they've checked liver and kidney values? It's always a concern when they get older. Both issues are simply a part of aging and are not curable, but they can be managed with diet and supplement tweaks to give them more time. I've had cats that lived with kidney issues for 3-4 years after diagnosis.

I've also noticed that when my cats get pukey, it's usually because they've just had a bit too much bone or eggshell. It doesn't cause blockage in the usual sense, but it can cause constipation in the form of hard, dry stools. Once they manage to get it out of their system, they stop puking.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had consultation with holistic vet. His diagnosis was - spleen imbalance causing liver imbalance, and food coming back from front instead of going down. Was told that kitty is having too much ying or yang in stomach (forgot which one), therefore giving warm (not temperature warm but traditional Chinese medicine has cool/neutral/warm protein types) protein is not good. Give it a try with Turkey because it is neutral. I made Turkey only batch and - voila! No more puke.
That is so interesting CHIKITTIES CHIKITTIES ! I may try making more non-chicken food for our cats to see if that helps Edwina. It's weird: she seems to go through spells with more barfing, also for no apparent reason. (And it's so hard to figure her out because she has those nervous things that get her worked up so she barfs... and then so many other "things" going on, like eating lint!) I do feed the cats a fair bit of chicken so maybe it's just too hot for her!? 🔥 🐔 (Primal marks their foods with warm and neutral so I know pork is neutral... we do feed quite a bit of that. I think they mark turkey as warm but if your vet says it's neutral, I'm more than happy to consider it so!)

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is not as simple as puke = hot but staying neutral maybe a safe bet? I see different cool/neutral/warm chart on internet, I even saw one place where Turkey has * mark, on footnote said could be either cool or warm .... or something really confusing :headscratch: Pila is taking Chinese herb, and both Pila and Saf started Probiotic and Digestive enzyme per Vet recommendation. In our case, I finally decided to face the fact that damage already made (kitties started their life with dry food, ate tons of asparagus, may also be genetic, who knows?), catching (hopefully very) early stage of IBD.

Eating lint :lol: Silly kitty!! Yes Doc said Pork is also good. I bought some, plan to make pork batch sometime soon.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this post, CHIKITTIES CHIKITTIES ! Yes, I looked online and got a bit confused about what's what... but it just made me think (all the more) that I need to diversify the cats' homemade food a bit more. I do probably make more with chicken than I ought to. (Another common thread in Edwina's barfing is that she tends to do it after EZ Complete, which is more likely to be made with chicken. Then again, one of the most recent ones had clumps of lint in it... our cats will eat just about anything off the floor!)

I'm glad to hear your vet says pork is good. 😺 Ireland really loves pork and the prices are almost always good. 🐖