My pregnant cat is making me feel guilty

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I'm new to these forums and have really enjoyed reading about others experiences.
I have a 1.5 yr old beauty queen named Olive who is pretty close to having her first litter. I don't know exactly when she's due but she's showing signs that it will be soon.
She wants to go outside very badly and I've been afraid to let her out. The last time I let her out was a week ago and she attacked my neighbors male cat. (She's never done that before)
She howls at the door night and day and I'm feeling like I'm abusing her by not letting her out!
The last thing I want is for her to run off and have her kittens outdoors. I also don't enjoy stressing her out by holding her hostage inside lol

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stay strong and not give into the guilt. You are doing right by her. You don’t want her to give birth unprotected outside. You need to be there for her in case anything unpredictable happens w/ the birth. Are you planning to get her spade after this so she doesn’t have more kittens? (And ditto kittens?). Having lots of comfortable boxes around and maybe an open closet helps…mommas move around a lot before deciding where to give birth. What a lovely kitty she is! Good luck! Also I’d follow any advice given by SArthur2, who will probably chime in soon…seems to have first rate advice on all things kitten! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I plan on getting her spayed after this litter. I have set up 6 different nesting areas and she has inspected them all. I have a feeling she will ignore them all and choose either the bathtub or go under my bed.
I'm trying my best to be patient but I feel like I'm the pregnant one and I'm so over it lol. I just want this to happen NOW so life can go back to normal lol.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re on standby with the cigars! Be sure to send us all baby photos! Hang in there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am approaching this from the opposite point of view, having only had outdoor feral litters. Believe me, you don't want to have to go look for those kittens or your girl. There is no guarantee that you will find the birthing place, that she will not move them, or that the male cat will not involve himself in this scenario...and not for the better. If this all goes wrong, you will also be in the position of having to start outdoor trapping for all of them.

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am approaching this from the opposite point of view, having only had outdoor feral litters. Believe me, you don't want to have to go look for those kittens or your girl. There is no guarantee that you will find the birthing place, that she will not move them, or that the male cat will not involve himself in this scenario...and not for the better. If this all goes wrong, you will also be in the position of having to start outdoor trapping for all of them.
Yikes!! That's the last thing I want. Ok, she stays inside!! I'll keep doing the tough-love thing and try to distract her when she starts yowling and scratching at the door.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is hard; I have rescued females in heat once in a great while, so I know what you are talking about with the howling and desire to get out. Just stand firm on this. Locating a litter outside is on that list of "what I never want to do again in my life".

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Buy several plug-in Feliway diffusers and put them in every room. They are not cheap but in my experience they work! They emit calming pheromones to help cats to relax.

Pregnant cats emit strong hormones (similar to those of heat hormones) and intact males from everywhere pick up on these hormones and come to call.

Your cat knows males are out there, and she wants to go out and fight these males off to protect her unborn kittens. It’s instinctual. It’s how she got pregnant in the first place, except that when she was in heat, she let the males approach her.

Do not let her out for all the reasons stated already. Hopefully the diffusers will help, and in the meantime, buy some ear plugs for sleeping.

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will definitely look into getting some diffusers, thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once plugged in, it may take a few days, but you should see a difference in her behavior. She should really calm down.

Keep us posted!

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm positive that today is definitely the day she might absolutely have her kittens. Maybe.
According to everything I've read online, she should have given birth last year. I'm being very patient.

Robert Lee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me know when the babies have arrived I and Bushy are happy for you. How wonderfully odd life can be Bushy leaves this world and another Bushy will arrive. Thank you your idea is really helping.

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's happening!! Her water broke a few minutes ago (all over my piano but I don't care!!)
I'm so excited I can hardly stand it lol. I'm sure it'll take a while but it's finally happening!! :hyper::woohoo:

Robert Lee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's happening!! Her water broke a few minutes ago (all over my piano but I don't care!!)
I'm so excited I can hardly stand it lol. I'm sure it'll take a while but it's finally happening!! :hyper::woohoo:
She is so lucky to have you she is in good hands.

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no kittens yet, and she's been panting like crazy for the last 4 hours. She's been making some grunting noises and I can't tell if it's because she's trying to push or if it's just from more frequent contractions.
I'm so paranoid lol I want this to go perfectly for her.

Tibbs&Olive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will post a couple of pics when things aren't so icky