My Pregnant cat got wax on her fur

Lucysmom21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im gonna jump right into this, I have a wax melt on my night stand and my cat Lucy usual sits up there and hangs out. About 30 minutes ago she was sitting there and was swaying her tail around and accidentally dipped the end of her tail into the hot wax melt.. once that happened she started running around (obviously because it was hot..) and seemed to get a little bits on her tummy and hind side of her leg. I did quick research and tried using a comb to pick it out. I feel confident I got it out of the fur that was on her side and hind leg but her poor tail has a decent amount at the end of her tail. I tried to comb it out but it’s coated the whole end of it and she won’t let me break it apart..I thought maybe dipping it in some warm water would help break it apart. I think it did a little bit but didn’t do much for me. I noticed she started to lick the areas where the wax was and other places possibly just casually cleaning herself but basically I’m super worried it’s going to harm her and her soon to be kittens..I plan to call the vet tomorrow to get there advice.. I feel absolutely TERRIBLE. Any other advice?
:sniffle:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wax probably won't harm her if she's licking it or grooming herself.

To get it off, you might try baby oil or mineral oil on a cotton pad. Or maybe it might work the same as a mat where you can put olive oil as close to the skin as possible and give it a day or two to fall out on its own. If neither of these work, I recommend taking her to a professional groomer. I'm sure they've encountered something like this before. You may even want to call around to see if any of them have home remedies to try first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucysmom21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I’m going to call her vet tomorrow and see what they say as well. I will ask them about the baby oil!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucysmom21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is Virgin Olive oil okay to use?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, virgin olive oil is okay, but she will get very oily. I’m concerned about whether her skin is burned in places. It sounds like it might be with the licking you describe. I really support an in-person consultation with the vet so he can look at her possible burns and get any remaining wax out of her fur. Have you put away the candle that was burning? When is she due?