My pregnant cat gave birth to a dead premature baby but not the others, help?!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this might be a glitch in translation. . .but no needles! Just the syringe. A 1ml syringe will work but it'll be a bit tedious to refill. A 3ml or 5ml is what I've always used.
Huh no I meant a syringe. Sorry it was late

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this might be a glitch in translation. . .but no needles! Just the syringe. A 1ml syringe will work but it'll be a bit tedious to refill. A 3ml or 5ml is what I've always used.
I bought a 3ml originally and tried to feed them yesterday and pushed Too hard…it freaked me out and Idk if they have a gag reflex at this age or not so I’m worried.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s either im pushing too grntly that nothing is coming out or pushing too hard they might aspirate…and…the 1ml syringe is coming potentially on febuary. Fml.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, aspirating the milk is a danger, and syringes can be hard to control if you're not used to it. Can you get a large plastic medicine dropper? I find them in the baby section, in a kit like this:
Screenshot_20220116-234029_Gallery.jpg

I don't use the spoon thing, but oh well it's cheap. Or maybe the store you go to will have a dropper on its own. Anyway I find that droppers are easier to control. Make sure it's plastic though, because you definitely don't want glass breaking in their mouths.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright uh new problem.. the syringe didn't come yet and 2 kittens lost abit of weight.. not only that but my baby girl kitten sleeps with her eyes open and twitches ALOT. could it be a seizure?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean if I hold her she stretches and it stops so it could be sleep right?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ngl I'm hella stressed because these kittens really aren't in their weight range at all they're so underweight but they're healthy.. im just scared of fading kitten syndrome...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a dropper. If you do not have one, purchase something on the baby aisle that has a dropper. Feed the kittens with the dropper. It’s safer than a syringe anyway until they get bigger.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I bathe kittens if mama is still with them? They are covered in poop and aren’t using the litter yet, mama isn’t doing a good job at grooming. they SMELL. if i bath them will she stop recognising them?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I bathe kittens if mama is still with them? They are covered in poop and aren’t using the litter yet, mama isn’t doing a good job at grooming. they SMELL. if i bath them will she stop recognising them?
How old are these kittens?
Mostly depends on the mom's character. If she's very affectionate to her kittens, there should be no problem.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are these kittens?
Mostly depends on the mom's character. If she's very affectionate to her kittens, there should be no problem.
4 weeks old tomorrow. Mama is um…not so motherly..she’ll feed them and sleep with them but only for a bit, majority of the day she’s forgetting about em

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Four weeks isn't too much of a problem. If mom stops having interest in them after you bathed them, they won't be suffering too much, at least for what concerns feeding, they are already in the weaning process.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Four weeks isn't too much of a problem. If mom stops having interest in them after you bathed them, they won't be suffering too much, at least for what concerns feeding, they are already in the weaning process.
They’re not really touching food and they are hella underweight (biggest is currently 300 grams). They’re thriving but still..that’s why I’m scared, i got kmr and syringes tho so ig it’ll be fine?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this sounds like a problem here...
If the hygiene of these kitten is priority, I think you can't do otherwise, and in case you'll be ready with KMR and syringes, and meanwhile you can try to propose some baby cat food and see if they take it.

The younger of my two cats was about 6 weeks old when I rescued her and was 500 grams, so not much heavier than yours.
I'm sure you'll make it.
Anyway, wait for someone else here to chime in. They could have a different view on the matter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try cleaning them with a warm damp wash cloth first. It may do the trick.

Also try introducing pate kitten food mixed with kitten formula on a flat plate. The sooner they begin to suckle on a slurry the sooner they will begin to gain weight. They are very underweight for their age.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try cleaning them with a warm damp wash cloth first. It may do the trick.

Also try introducing pate kitten food mixed with kitten formula on a flat plate. The sooner they begin to suckle on a slurry the sooner they will begin to gain weight. They are very underweight for their age.
They started eating wet food except the girl. She's scaring me. Shes 230g and a MONTH old. She suckles on mamas milk and plays but still, yikes....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some who were 250g at 8 weeks (they were bottle babies being raised by someone who didn't know what they were doing), and they grew up to be big and strong. It's obviously not ideal, but as long as she's active and nursing well she'll probably survive. Maybe with the others eating solid food she'll get more milk and grow faster.

The babies who are eating solids should gain steadily now. Make sure they get as much as they want to eat. You can add the kitten milk to their food (either liquid or powdered, whatever they like best) for extra nutrition.

Be sure to talk to the vet about de-worming soon. If they don't start gaining a lot now they probably need de-worming sooner rather than later.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had some who were 250g at 8 weeks (they were bottle babies being raised by someone who didn't know what they were doing), and they grew up to be big and strong. It's obviously not ideal, but as long as she's active and nursing well she'll probably survive. Maybe with the others eating solid food she'll get more milk and grow faster.

The babies who are eating solids should gain steadily now. Make sure they get as much as they want to eat. You can add the kitten milk to their food (either liquid or powdered, whatever they like best) for extra nutrition.

Be sure to talk to the vet about de-worming soon. If they don't start gaining a lot now they probably need de-worming sooner rather than later.
The 2 boys love wet can food and i got the girl to est some boiled egg. Ofc that was only a booster for some weight gain, I’ll try to intoduce kitten wet food to her again but she dislikes it

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Basically...my cat has 3 kittens, earlier i noticed them playing and she was kneeling down whipping her tail side to side, basically as if she saw pray, i was then petting one of them and she attacked my sock, she then sat down and i pet her a bit and she got abit agressive, and then she attacked her kittens, she attacked the boy by holding and kicking him and he ran away, then she did the same for the girl as if her own kitten was a toy and the girl ran when her mom let go, she then wouldn't let anyone touch her for a bit, her ears were back theu weren't pinned they were a bit back and she was hitting her tail while sitting. now she's back to normal, any theories?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old are the kittens? At some point, mom will start actively pushing them away, and it can sometimes look very rough. They are almost never injured by it, but it looks really bad.