My pregnant cat gave birth to a dead premature baby but not the others, help?!?!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they aren't getting anything, they'll be restless and squalling, and won't feel as strong when you pick them up. If they're warm and mostly quiet and wiggle when you hold them, and have a nice round tummy, everything is probably ok. But you should have a postal/kitchen scale to make sure they're gaining weight properly. You can usually find one for under $20.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll check for weight gain today. I'm going to get some formula anyways incase they're gaining weight but not enough weight

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are mom and kittens today? Still only 2? Are they nursing well?

We’d love a picture whenyou get a chance!
Hi! So it was 3 in total. Mama has lost alot of weight, my dad insists on keeping them outside, I put her inside last night and she got too attached and kept on trying to get inside and ended up dropping little baby from around 10 inches of the ground i think...seems fine. Mamas also got diarrhea and isn't really eating so I'm planning to go to the vet tomorrow and get replacement because I don't think she can have milk without food. Babies look abit tiny not going to lie, they're all about 70-78 grams from what i weighed yesterday wich I believe is under, perhaps a week premature? Queen herself is tiny she was the smallest in the litter so could be that, i mean they're crawling, meowing, nursing and all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The diarrhea may be from eating the placentas and from hormones. It should subside soon.

They really need to be in a safe place inside. Can she and her kittens stay in your room for now?

The babies are definitely premature by birth weight if they are under 90 grams. I hope they will steadily gain.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Under 90 grams is not an indicator of being premature, they can be smaller for a variety of reasons.

they are also highly unlikely to be a week premature, kittens born prior to day 60 are unlikely to survive.

Mum and kittens need to be brought inside or she will soon be pregnant again, cats can get pregnant within days of birthing and do not need to be in heat as they’re induced ovulaters.

if mum continues not eating and having diarrhoea she needs to see a vet urgently.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright so I argued with my parents for hours on end to put them inside, they still refused. i moved their nest into a mini dog home with blankets and covered it with a blanket from the outside as well. I also sprinkled some coffee ground around since I know she doesn't mind it but other cats will do. Mama stopped having dirrhea and is eating alot again and babies are nursing all well. They're so tiny it's a bit concerning and they're also not gaining desired 10grams a day, was gonna get KMR but the vets were closed for Christmas so I'm going asap when they're open but shes feeding them adequately I'm just buying it for extra support

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry your parents feel this way. I know it’s distressing to you.

How much are the kittens gaining?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry your parents feel this way. I know it’s distressing to you.

How much are the kittens gaining?
Id say around 5 grams a day

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also is it normal for a kittens poop to be yellow?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat leaves her newborn kittens whenever I'm around. She doesn't run away or anything, she just starts walking around or eating. Could it be she's trusting me to look after them for a short period of time or something? She hangs out with them when I'm around ofcourse but she does often leave when i come visit them. Just wanting to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you're the babysitter :thumbsup:. Also, as they get older she'll leave them alone more, even when you aren't around. That's normal; in the wild she'd have to go out hunting.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I need some advice… they are now 10 days old and the biggest kitten weighs about 160grams….err should I get KMR? Can I feed them normal cat milk (ik it lacks nutrients but mama is still feeding it’d be extra support only). Ik i said id get kmr but they seemed to gain weight but idk…

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to get KMR and begin supplementing 3-4 times a day, 3-5mLs per kitten each feeding if they’ll take it, more if they want it. They are underweight for their age.

They need to weigh 8 ounces each (or close) at 14 days, and if your biggest is only 160 grams at 10 days (5.6 ounces), they are all behind. They should weigh 8 ounces at 14 days; 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces at 4 weeks (one pound).

With a mom, they will likely not take a bottle, so use a syringe. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

It’s okay for mom to take short breaks, but she may not have enough milk.

Get KMR, get busy every 3 hours, and be very careful they do not aspirate into their lungs.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to get KMR and begin supplementing 3-4 times a day, 3-5mLs per kitten each feeding if they’ll take it, more if they want it. They are underweight for their age.

They need to weigh 8 ounces each (or close) at 14 days, and if your biggest is only 160 grams at 10 days (5.6 ounces), they are all behind. They should weigh 8 ounces at 14 days; 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces at 4 weeks (one pound).

With a mom, they will likely not take a bottle, so use a syringe. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

It’s okay for mom to take short breaks, but she may not have enough milk.

Get KMR, get busy every 3 hours, and be very careful they do not aspirate into their lungs.
Thanks! Do i need to get the teet/nib or just a syringe?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also since mama is still feeding, do I need to feed them every 2-3 hours? I’m not trying to take over I’m trying to give them support

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I explained in my post, if they are not gaining enough (6-10 grams daily each, or more), they need to be supplemented. It sounds like they are all underweight from your description of your biggest,

So I would suggest supplementing them. It does not sound like they are growing well. And yes, you need a can of powdered KMR. The PetAg KMR for kittens is $10/can at Walmart but lasts a good while.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think I missed your last post. Syringe is best unless you order Miracle Nipples. Syringe in the side of the mouth, slowly, let them breathe and swallow before the next push, unless they are actively suckling on their own (which is ideal). Watch the video.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And yes, supplement whatever they will take every 3-4 hours - perhaps just 3-4 times a day at this point. See how they are doing and gaining after a day or two. If doing well, keep it up. It means they need it. Play it by ear.