My pregnant cat gave birth to a dead premature baby but not the others, help?!?!

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat this morning was having contractions and crying and she gave birth to a dead premature baby (I'm guessing that kitten was around 5-6 weeks developed only..), she hasn't given birth to any others and she's acting compeletely normal... She's eating, moving, sleeping, hasn't gone to the bathroom I don't think, shes climbing places but isn't particularly energetic. Her belly still feels hard and I'm scared there might still ve kittens. Can cats give birth to a stillborn halfway through pregnancy then carry the rest full term?

Also one thing I have noticed is that she is accepting affection more..

Oh also I saw a heartbeat in her stomach I'm not sure if it's a nerve or an alive fetus???

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats can give birth to one or more still born kittens and carry the others to term, but she really needs to be taken to a vet. She could have another stillborn kitten in the birth canal or womb. She could have an infection that caused her to miscarry.

The vet will be able to give her an ultrasound and tell how many kittens she has and whether they are healthy or not.

Please don't wait too long as these kind of problems can quickly become life threatening.

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat this morning was having contractions and crying and she gave birth to a dead premature baby (I'm guessing that kitten was around 5-6 weeks developed only..), she hasn't given birth to any others and she's acting compeletely normal... She's eating, moving, sleeping, hasn't gone to the bathroom I don't think, shes climbing places but isn't particularly energetic. Her belly still feels hard and I'm scared there might still ve kittens. Can cats give birth to a stillborn halfway through pregnancy then carry the rest full term?

Also one thing I have noticed is that she is accepting affection more..

Oh also I saw a heartbeat in her stomach I'm not sure if it's a nerve or an alive fetus???
Its yes to your questions. Its fully possible she is still preg, and with any luck, she will bring forward the others healthy in their due time.

But as the others said. IF you have access to any decent vet, do consult himher asap. She may have complications.
You even hint she isnt entirely OK; you write she isnt particularly energic, you notice she wants more affection than usual.... Something may be not OK...

Hope for the best, but do safequard and take her to a vet asap. Let the vet decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a bit of time she's been following bugs crawling around which is more energy she's shown than before giving birth so that's a good thing right?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a good sign. Just watch her carefully for a while if you can't take her to a vet. As long as she is eating/drinking/using the litterbox normally and is not hiding, she should be fine. if she stops eating or starts acting differently, such as hiding, she may have an infection and needs to get in right away.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok my cat is pregnant I think, she doesn’t look it though idk abdomen looks a bit too low or maybe it’s just one kitten because she pushed out a stillborn premature like a week ago… any gusesses on how many kittens or far along she is? I see kicking when she’s laying down 16FB0C8A-39F3-4EDA-8C0B-F111A961744D.jpeg
16FB0C8A-39F3-4EDA-8C0B-F111A961744D.jpeg

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one here can guess how far along she is, you’ll need to think about the dates she was allowed outside.

Did you see the vet as advised previously? Any time a litter is aborted or any other issue arise it’s important to see a vet.
It’s pretty unusual to partially abort and still carry the rest but not unheard of, an ultrasound will tell you if any remaining kittens are inside and their condition. They don’t always get expelled after passing away so a check is vital.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty today? How is her food intake, especially calcium rich foods? A high quality kitten food and/or KMR will help her to keep her calcium levels up. Adequate calcium is very important for good, strong contractions. She needs lots of extra calories to not only nourish the developing kitten bodies but she needs to add on fat in preparation of nursing little ones for the next 5-6 weeks after delivery.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much calcium causes problems, including sometimes depleting supply, and should not be randomly given during pregnancy unless you know her calcium levels via blood test. A balanced diet will give all she needs.

kittens will need to nurse longer than 5-6 weeks, they need to stay with mom for 12-14 weeks and the majority will nurse them that entire time and often months after when kittens are kept.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much calcium calcium causes problems, including sometimes depleting supply, and should not be randomly given during pregnancy unless you know her calcium levels via blood test. A balanced diet will give all she needs.

kittens will need to nurse longer than 5-6 weeks, they need to stay with mom for 12-14 weeks and the majority will nurse them that entire time and often months after when kittens are kept.
You are wise to mention that calcium supplements should NOT be given to a pregnant cat unless prescribed by a reputable vet who has done lab work. A high-quality kitten food will have the calcium needed and delivers it in a more bioavailable form plus higher quality foods tend to offer meat-based proteins. The extra carbohydrates from grains and legumes are not an optimal way for pregnant cats to get their proteins and calories.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty today? How is her food intake, especially calcium rich foods? A high quality kitten food and/or KMR will help her to keep her calcium levels up. Adequate calcium is very important for good, strong contractions. She needs lots of extra calories to not only nourish the developing kitten bodies but she needs to add on fat in preparation of nursing little ones for the next 5-6 weeks after delivery.
Oh yeah she's been eating ALOT! I've been giving her a verity of wet and dry food as well as other foods like abit of boiled eggs and boiled chicken

I don't give my cat any suppliments either it's just food and water and planning to give her some goat milk soon

Good timing, she gave birth to a healthy little baby

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She had a kitten this morning? That's good news! How is she now, has her labour finished? Cat labours are usually short. If she strains to push for any length of time or seems to be uncomfortable it's time for the ER vet. Did she pass deliver afterbirth too?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had a kitten this morning? That's good news! How is she now, has her labour finished? Cat labours are usually short. If she strains to push for any length of time or seems to be uncomfortable it's time for the ER vet. Did she pass deliver afterbirth too?
All good! Just gave birth to baby 2, starting to think the nest might be too small

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently gave birth, her babies are suckling but I'm not seeing any milk on their faces, when I'm taking them off the tit, when im slightly squeezing her nipple, ect. Do they suckle if there's no milk?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it was recent, they could just be getting colostrum at this stage. Do they seem at least partially satiated when they come off? I believe the suckling action helps the mom produce more milk. There's not a ton at the very beginning, so you might not see any extra when you squeeze etc.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are mom and kittens today? Still only 2? Are they nursing well?

We’d love a picture when you get a chance!

Last edited: