My Precious Baby Boy Went Missing

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today at 3 am is the last time anyone in the house has seen my 13 year old cat Grey. He was drinking water from the bathroom sink faucet. Usually, he would stay in my room all day until night, then we'd let him roam the rest of the house when we went to bed. In the early mornings, I get up for work, and he is always at the door waiting to come in to eat and drink/take his naps. Well today, he was not at the door. We checked the house before leaving for work and no signs of him. Came home for lunch and he was still missing. It is now almost 8 pm and we have hung up posters around the neighborhood, went to a couple of houses asking if anyone has seen him, went through the alley and called for him...nothing. Called the pound, they have not picked up a cat that fits his description. I am very sad and not sure where to go from here...it is also going to be a very cold night...supposed to get down to 13 degrees F.

I hope you are safe and warm wherever you may be. :(

grey.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is he chipped, and your info updated?
Use pawboost, Nextdoor . com, put posters everywhere they'll let you (grocery stores, gas stations etc), use petharbor, HelpingLostPets, your local lost pets facebook page, keep talking to people--someone may have taken him in, ask if you can check garages or sheds, maybe even play an audio of your voice, or music outside.
Keep checking the shelter(s) daily.
I'm sending you all of my thoughts and prayers!

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was there any way for him to get out of the house? He could be sick and hiding somewhere inside. Check all your closets, especially the linen closet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you sure he is outside? I've had a cat disappear for 3 days, me frantic all over the neighborhood, and the cat trotted out of the back room when I had lost hope!

Now, if he is out, cats are MASTERS at finding warm, snuggly spots that we would never dream of. And he has a good, thick coat, so that is excellent. You can try putting his litter box on the porch. Cats can smell themselves like that over a LONG distance. When searching, concentrate your efforts at dawn and dusk, the most active time for cats. Carry a flashlight. Check in small, dark hideyholes, but don't forget to look UP, in case he got frightened and climbed.

Check you local radio stations. Many of them have a community service spot where lost and found animals can be listed.

Above all, do NOT give up hope. We've seen animals come home safe and sound after MONTHS! And consider getting him microchipped, and register that chip IMMEDIATELY!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to the pound. The person you spoke to may or may not have looked to see if he was there. Sometimes they don't and tell you your pet isn't there when he is. It's easier for them. And of course descriptions are in the eye of the beholder.

Go to the pound as often as you can until you find him. Check with local rescues as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check every closet you have, thoroughly. Every room, every inch. Cats are amazing at hiding, and if he's sick you want to find him quickly.

If you decide he got out, go to the shelters yourself to check for him. Never trust shelter employees to describe him well enough.

And let us know what happens! We hate to be left hanging.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one go down a broken bit in the cold air intake and wander in the heat ducks for awhile. After that I was on the look out for hidden openings. I found one under the cabinet doors in the frame next to the floor. The hole led to the wall not the cabinet.

Other places these holes might be under sinks behind the pipes, in the backs of closets, under built in shelves (Linen closets), behind appliances - kit can go where you can't, some don't know how to get back out again. Check the basement for holes. Some basements have cinder blocks with holes in them. Check your attic in case kit did find a way into the wall and went up.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to check under the bed! My cat likes to tear open the bottom of the boxspring and hide inside if she's particularly upset. She's also squeezed in a dresser drawer through an unnoticeable (to me) loose spot on the back cover of the dresser. I've lost her in my closet multiple times. I always think I checked everything thoroughly and assume she must have escaped the house somehow, yet every time she ends up walking out of the closet. I don't know how she hides so well in such a tiny area.

CaptainKirk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a very sad situation, and I hope you find closure for your loved one. The
cat is probably in the house.
Cats, like their owners, are very loving creatures, and they hide things very well.
We give them unconditional love, and they give it back to us as well.
They are good at hiding illnesses from their owners.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is so pretty!!! Assuming he didn't escape your house - I only have a 1300 sq ft house, but there have been a couple of times that I searched the damned place what felt like a thousand times - to no avail. And, yet somehow Feeby would appear miraculously hours and hours later, but I don't know to this day where she was. I hope he is inside your house and he comes out soon!!!