My poor little guy has pink eye

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son Adam, who is almost 2 and a half, has come down with the nastiest case of pink eye. He's just miserable. His eyes are all red, gunky, and swollen. I just talked to the nurse and they're phoning in a prescription, but he just looks so pathetic it breaks my heart. I hate it when my kids get sick. I feel so bad for them.

Dawn

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Dawn! How awful for him!!! He is so young to to have that! I wonder where he got it from!
Keep us posted on how he is doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully the medicine seems to be helping. His eyes are still red and swollen, but there's no more yellow gunk coming out of them. Of course, it's a fun time trying to get eye ointment in a 2 year old. He keeps closing his eyes right when the drop of ointment is going in, it gets caught on his lashes, and I have to start all over. 4 more days to go!

I bet he caught it at the gym. I work out at 24 hour Fitness, and they have a play area for the kids. There are so many kids there so I wouldn't be suprised if that was it. Or maybe Sunday School at church.

I was disappointed because we were going to go to the Arlington Nature Center with my MOPS group today, but can't because pink eye is so contagious. Bummer. Stuck in the house with two preschoolers and nothing to do.

Well, at least he's doing better.

Dawn

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't post to this before because I thought your 'little guy' was your cat!!!! I didn't have any helpful suggestions, so I didn't read it. just now I popped in to suggest that you post in health/nutrition so that you would get more replies & i realized you were talking about your son!

I can't believe how dense I am.

you must be going bonkers!

I've had pink eye before & it's no picnic.

glad to hear he's feeling better!

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we must call it something different over here. What is pinkeye? Is it Conjunctivitis? Anyway, whatever he is I hope he's better very soon!

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dan, yes I believe pink eye is conjunctivitis.

Dawn, I am sorry to hear about your son. While pink eye can't be fun for someone at any age, it must be hard making your son understand what is going on and to put an ointment in his eyes. Eep. Is it a pasty creamy ointment or liquid drops? My friend got pinkeye when she was 16 nd the doctor gave her this creamy stuff in a tube.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's creamy stuff in a tube. The nurse thought it would be easier than drops. I don't know because this is pretty difficult! The hardest part is that we can't go anywhere, and being stuck in the house with two bored children is not fun!

Thanks for your well wishes!

Dawn

debbiea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you wash the :censor::censor::censor::censor: door handle and all other objects he has touched before the med. started or others in household will get it...esp. yourself!!! Pinkeye is spread very easily by touch. All humans touch things then without thinking touch/itch their eyes...To help sooth his eye(s) put lukewarm (wet) washcloth on his affected eye(s) for 15-20 min. a few times a day..It will help him to feel a little better. And as long as he is getting med. and there is no drainage from the affected eyes he can go out in public, just remember to wash hands freq. ( This advice is from a former school nurse...this what I told the moms at my three elementary buildings when pinkeye was going around.)

Hope this helps!!!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dawn!

I'm in the same boat as Airprincess! I finally tuned into this thread because I had to know how you were dealing with a cat with pink eye.

Then I find out it's your son!

I hope it is clearing up. Hopefully he is not transferring it to his other eye. It's hard trying to explain not rubbing the eye to a 2-year-old.

My son was plagued with ear infections as a young child. I hate it when they are sick.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a chore, for both your son and yourself! Well, at least it'll be over "soon." I never had conjunctivitis myself, but I've heard about it over the years. Best wishes to your little guy! I hope he's feeling better pronto!

By the way, what is "MOPS"?

=^..^=

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I recall from those days, MOPS= Mothers of PreSchoolers

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right, it's Mothers of Preschoolers. It's a great group of Christian mothers, and we're off for the summer.
But we're still having small group social activities, and that's what we missed yesterday. But that's ok, because Adam is doing better today and all the gunk is gone. I think it's safe for him to be around his friends again.

I love being a stay-at-home mom, but I'm one of those people that has to be on the go all the time, and it sure is hard to be home with two bored kids!

Thanks for all your concern about my little guy. I think it's funny that so many of you thought my little guy would be my cat. :laughing: I guess it's because I spend most of my time with other mommies! I'll try to be more specific in the future.

Dawn

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm glad your son is improving! And thanks (you and Deb 25) for the "MOPS" translation!

=^..^=

P.S.: Now, just to get this straight, you say your cat used to be active in MOPS until you got conjunctivitis and the cat had to stay home and take care of you?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joe:

If one birthday caused this much mental deterioration, you'll be drooling by next year!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joe,
As long as you keep me laughing, your secret's safe with me.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ha-ha....now I too know the secret!!! :laughing:

My lips are sealed! *zips lips*