My poor feral is sick..

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
iCloud

This is a video of a kitty I just got TNR'd today. The video is from about a month ago when I first started seeing him, as you can see its like he's having issues with his mouth. He won't eat dry food, only wet and he struggles to eat that and since the video its gotten worse. When I brought him to animal control today to get fixed they said they would check him out, it seemed to me like it might be calicivirus because I had another cat that had to be put down last year and he was sort of acting the same way. They said it doesn't seem like calicivirus and it may be something else, just not sure what. Every time I see him you can tell his mouth is hurting him and he had a lot of snot coming out of the his nose this week. They said they listened to his lungs and they sounded fine. My question is..could it possibly be a injury to his mouth? Or is there anything I could give him that may make him feel better? They said if he gets worse to bring him in but I just don't see how they didn't see what I did. They had over 10 cats to TNR today so I'm thinking they were just busy and rushed it. I know they sell drops you can add to water to help with nasal problems but he even has issues drinking water..I once saw him sit there and try to drink for over 5 minutes and he was just struggling the whole time..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me, I wouldn't let him out of the trap and I would take him to another vet. It could be a tooth issue. Also did they check for FIV and FELV? I would want to know about that too. If you let him out of the trap, it will be very very difficult to retrap. Keep him inside and try another vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would as well. I know that this is more pressure on you but if you release him, if it is not already too late, it will be hard to get him back and this sounds serious....either for him alone, or even for the other cats if he is contagious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I wouldn't let him out of the trap and I would take him to another vet. It could be a tooth issue. Also did they check for FIV and FELV? I would want to know about that too. If you let him out of the trap, it will be very very difficult to retrap. Keep him inside and try another vet.
I wish I could, I just don't have the money to do anything like that right now..I volunteer there to help with TNR, so I know all they do is fix them, clean out their ears if needed and give them flea meds, get a rabies shot and ear tip. They don't check for anything, they'll clean up if they have a sore but thats all really. He's really friendly, so I'm hoping if I do need to catch him in the future it will be easy to trap him or just put him in a carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have a new person over the TNR division so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.. I was under the impression that if he's friendly, they can try to adopt him out. But since I had to work today my bf dropped him off this morning and we made sure to say a few times thats he's sick and needs to be looked at. The only other option I have right now is to hope a rescue could take him or pay for it myself which is just not a option right now..bringing him to the emergency vet or a regular one will cost me hundreds.