My persian sneezes A LOT, is this normal?

gitonaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old grey persian named Maribou that I just adopted from the humane society. She sneezes a lot. I have a check up scheduled for her next week, but I need to know if this is normal or should I be concerned? She is my first persian any advice that I can get would be helpful.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sneezing is usually not normal. Of course Persians are a different story. I just aquired one. I am not an expert on the breed and I do know they have nose and eye problems. I took mine to the vet because he was sneezing. He ended up having a little cold. Course this has been a terrible season here for allergies. One little trick I did learn is that if they get conjested you can use a few drops of the little noses pediatric nose drops. Just until it clears up.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi Gitonaz and welcome to the forums!

I agree with Sandie. Persistant sneezing is not normal for cats.

Sneezing is basically the body's reaction to nasal irritation. Some sneezing once in a while is nothing to worry about, it could be any of the things that make us sneeze.

However, sneezing that persists for days could indicate a respiratory disease (usually viral but could also be bacterial).

I guess if she's a peke-faced Persian, she might be more prone to nose and eye problems. I don't think the doll-faced Persians are. If you're not sure which kind she is, check the article about Persian cats.

Please tell us how she is and what the vet said. Oh and bless her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitonaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info Maribou has a URI and is now on antibiotics. We discovered that she has endured some abuse in the past and she is set for her first grooming on Dec 21. She will look beautiful for Christmas. Again thank you for the advice.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you took her to the vet. If you have any more questions or want amy info, please let me know. I am not an expert on the breed yet, but I will be. This is my first persian. I do show my cats though so I have learned a lot about grooming and weepy eyes!!! Hope she fells better soon!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sneezing seems to be a common problem with cats, i just had to get medicind from my vet also for Merlins sneezing, and his breathing was a bit raspy. The medicine seems to have helped alot! Though he hates having those pills shoved down his throat...poor guy.