My parents won't bring my cat to the vet after her tail fell off

tangytree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday my cat's tail fell off. I think she might've gotten it bitten off by our neighbor's dogs when I was inside. I cried while telling my mom that she lost her tail but she just joked about it saying that she would heal eventually. I don't think she was actively bleeding when I saw her. I don't know where she is right now and I'm really scared but I feel like it's best to ask for advice before doing anything. I'd like to bring her to the vet but I'm only 13 so I don't have the money or car to go there. My parents don't really care about her since she's an outdoor cat and they won't bring her to the vet even if I beg them to. Please help, I don't want to lose her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the entire tail fall off at the base, or further down? Your cat really needs to be seen by a vet, and possibly needs antibiotics and pain medicine.

Losing a tail can sometimes cause other problems with elimination, though it is also possible for cats to live normally without a tail.

Is your cat inside now where you can examine the wound? Please keep her indoors for now until this gets resolved and you can determine the severity or if she might heal on her own.

I’m so sorry that your mom is not sympathetic to the cat’s plight at this time. You might call around to cat shelters to see if one might help you with this in some way, such as a volunteer picking up the cat and taking it for vet care.

Please do keep us posted!

tangytree tangytree

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ditto about how much of the tail? Is this stray or a cat that your family actually owns? If the former, you could as mentioned above, call rescue centers and ask for help, as I am unsure what they might say about intervening if the cat currently has an owner. It might mean letting go of ownership, but that would be best if it means the cat gets looked at and treated.

The only other thing you could do is reach out to an adult relative that might be willing to talk to your mom and/or help you out about getting some help for the cat.

You will also need to find her if you can get someone to help out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tangytree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the entire tail fall off at the base, or further down? Your cat really needs to be seen by a vet, and possibly needs antibiotics and pain medicine.

Losing a tail can sometimes cause other problems with elimination, though it is also possible for cats to live normally without a tail.

Is your cat inside now where you can examine the wound? Please keep her indoors for now until this gets resolved and you can determine the severity or if she might heal on her own.

I’m so sorry that your mom is not sympathetic to the cat’s plight at this time. You might call around to cat shelters to see if one might help you with this in some way, such as a volunteer picking up the cat and taking it for vet care.

Please do keep us posted!

tangytree tangytree
About 3/4 of her tail fell off.
I'm not allowed to keep her indoors, are there any alternatives to that?
She wasn't crying when I first noticed her but I'm sure she's in pain. I'll try to call my local animal shelters, hopefully I'll get a good reply.
Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tangytree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ditto about how much of the tail? Is this stray or a cat that your family actually owns? If the former, you could as mentioned above, call rescue centers and ask for help, as I am unsure what they might say about intervening if the cat currently has an owner. It might mean letting go of ownership, but that would be best if it means the cat gets looked at and treated.

The only other thing you could do is reach out to an adult relative that might be willing to talk to your mom and/or help you out about getting some help for the cat.

You will also need to find her if you can get someone to help out.
She's my cat, her mom gave birth near my house and decided to live here. I've messaged my cousin who is studying to become a veterinarian for advice but my parents didn't let me treat her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:vibes: I hope someone can help. Dog bites almost always cause infection, so an antibiotic would most surely be needed. If she will let you get close, you could apply coconut oil to the wound. This seems to help with healing sometimes.

Please keep us updated.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About 3/4 of her tail fell off.
I'm not allowed to keep her indoors, are there any alternatives to that?
She wasn't crying when I first noticed her but I'm sure she's in pain. I'll try to call my local animal shelters, hopefully I'll get a good reply.
Thank you.
I would call cat rescues, not animal shelters.

In my area anyway, which is not "backwards" in most respects, animal control would likely seize the cat and the likelihood of the cat being euthanized would be concerningly high.

Best wishes.

Bill

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think she was actively bleeding when I saw her.
Hello - I think you're doing a wonderful job of figuring things out, and I'm another who is keeping my fingers crossed that your cousin may have something that helps. I am also thinking that your statement that it wasn't actively bleeding at that point leaves some hope in the situation :vibes::crossfingers::redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of my ferals lost half his tail. I could never get near him, other than about three feet at feeding time. He broke my heart. He also healed, eventually. I am hoping that your girl will as well. Meanwhile, I'm REALLY hoping that your cousin will be able to, somehow, help.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Famtastic! If dealt w/ in time it ought to heal. Our black cat, Jiggs, adopted us on Halloween 🎃, and lost half his tail in a raccoon fight when he slipped out one night. By way of saying: IF THIS LOOSE DOG IS STILL AROUND, best to find a way to keep kitty in. Perhaps a Catio? What I’d say to the parents is: “Taking care of this cat responsibly will teach me to be responsible. Mom, Dad, I’ll even get a part time job to look after them, just please, let her stay inside!”