my parents refuse to take my cat to the vet

awidener

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi im sixteen and my cats are around 9, ive had them the majority of my life and they mean so much to me. for the past few years one of my cats has been showing signs of fleas, her body is covered in bites and she has cyst on her back, shes constantly itching and she scratches so hard she bleeds. i told my mom she has fleas and she doesnt believe me, but now my moms dog has fleas and she only got my dog good medicine and didnt care the cats who are still scratching to to death. my other cat isnt affected by it but i try to keep them separated so my cat doesnt catch what she has. now my sick cat has gone from 10lbs to around 5lbs and she has hurt her leg and cant walk and she still refuses to take her to the vet and i dont know what to do because i dont have a job nor enough money to help get her treated.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This must be so hard for you, maybe you could mention that there are charities that would help with the cost of vet treatment like the PDSA or RSPCA even maybe a local cat protection group. Flea treatment is much cheaper online. Hope you can get this sorted.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your Cat has fleas you can try giving her a bath using dawn dish soap and that should get rid of the fleas on her. The problem is if she's had fleas for a long time they are most likely in the house too and will re-infest her eventually, and could spread to your other Cat and even you.

If your mom refuses to take your Cat to the vet then unfortunately you really don't have a lot of options since you're still a minor. If you report her for animal cruelty it's likely nothing will happen, and even if it is investigated the most likely result would be all of the animals in the house being taken away.

Do you have a friend or relative that would take her to the vet for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awidener

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi im sixteen and my cats are around 9, ive had them the majority of my life and they mean so much to me. for the past few years one of my cats has been showing signs of fleas, her body is covered in bites and she has cyst on her back, shes constantly itching and she scratches so hard she bleeds. i told my mom she has fleas and she doesnt believe me, but now my moms dog has fleas and she only got my dog good medicine and didnt care the cats who are still scratching to to death. my other cat isnt affected by it but i try to keep them separated so my cat doesnt catch what she has. now my sick cat has gone from 10lbs to around 5lbs and she has hurt her leg and cant walk and she still refuses to take her to the vet and i dont know what to do because i dont have a job nor enough money to help get her treated.
update:i think her hip is broken and shes in a lot of pain and i feel so bad because im watching her die and i cant help her

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a neighbor that you can ask for help? A classmate with a driver's license? Can you call the nearest ASPCA or Humane Society shelter and ask for help it advice?

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I would call animal control or ASPCA to see what your options are. You're a minor and shouldn't be held responsible. If you think it's safe to do so (if your mom won't take it out on you) then she needs a good talking to. Worst case, your cats could be taken from your household. If you're not sure what to do or who to call, call a local vet. They will give you free advice and point you to who to call.

awidener

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a neighbor that you can ask for help? A classmate with a driver's license? Can you call the nearest ASPCA or Humane Society shelter and ask for help it advice?
my grandma and i are going to try to take her to the vet asap tomorrow morning

Last edited by a moderator:

awidener

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! they didnt find anything broken which the dr didnt understand but theyre thinking its either cancer or a brain tumor so we're giving her the meds but we most likely will have her put to sleep on wednesday to keep her from being in too much pain :((

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
they didnt find anything broken which the dr didnt understand but theyre thinking its either cancer or a brain tumor so we're giving her the meds but we most likely will have her put to sleep on wednesday to keep her from being in too much pain :((
I'm so sorry to hear the news but thank you for the update. I hope she will be pain free soon, you have my heartfelt sympathies. :hugs:

LindaE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! they didnt find anything broken which the dr didnt understand but theyre thinking its either cancer or a brain tumor so we're giving her the meds but we most likely will have her put to sleep on wednesday to keep her from being in too much pain :((
So sorry to hear that. I know how painful it is. Hugs to you and your kitty.