My outdoor cat is still in my neighborhood but won’t come home. Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. I’ve got some very bad news...

S’mores isn’t gonna make it.

It’s sad. I never got to meet him. But the shelter is not at all surprised. We just found out that their mother was 8 months old when she got pregnant. This led to the kittens having health complications. She gave birth to 3 kittens. One didn’t make it out of birth. The others, S’mores and his sister, initially were thought to be just fine and underweight. But we now know it’s worse than that, and neither him or his sister will survive...

It really hurts. They’re gonna wait for his body to be ready to naturally go on its own. No euthanasia or anything. There’s nothing they can do to save him. I really am disappointed I never got to meet him. Hold him. Have him lick me. Hear his mew. It’s reality though. And even though I never met S’mores, I loved him as if he was my own cat.

Rest In Peace S’mores.

Attachments

Last edited:

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
However, where there is terrible news, there is also some good.

The shelter has 2 kittens available to adopt and will have another litter as soon as next week. They’ll be sending us pictures, and my parents suggested we adopt 2. That would be great, and the shelter said one of them would love to have a playmate like Cupid. Also funny enough, this is the same shelter we adopted Cupid at in 2014.

They will not fill the hole S’mores left, but it will still be great.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also let me know if you guys want to see our options when we get them. I’m gonna have a hard time deciding. I have a feeling I’m gonna be the Rule 63 version of a Crazy Cat Lady for my entire life lmao. I’m gonna play some Fortnite to take my mind off of things. It’s been an emotional past few days.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
CyberAlexMM CyberAlexMM I am sooo sorry about S'mores. 🤗 My heart goes out to you. I have dealth with plenty of loss with indoor and outdoor cat and it never get any easier. There is a condition known as Fading Kitten Syndrome where it is not fully understand why the kitten is not striving, but getting sicker. I have lost kittens I thought were doing well than they take a turn for the worse. It is better to let to humanely pass away, than suffer. S'mores and his sister is going over the Rainbow Bridge where they will be at peace. When you are ready, please visit the shelter and adopt a new kitten. Don't rush into it if you are not ready.

Keep looking for Cupid and as I mentioned before and don't lose hope. I am so sorry all this is happening to you. Stay strong.🙂

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear this. 2020 has been such a lame year for everyone, and not just with the virus and whatnot. I'm so, so glad that you are able to adopt two more, but I am so deeply sorry to hear about S'mores.
:alright:
Thanks. He’ll be missed deeply.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
CyberAlexMM CyberAlexMM I am sooo sorry about S'mores. 🤗 My heart goes out to you. I have dealth with plenty of loss with indoor and outdoor cat and it never get any easier. There is a condition known as Fading Kitten Syndrome where it is not fully understand why the kitten is not striving, but getting sicker. I have lost kittens I thought were doing well than they take a turn for the worse. It is better to let to humanely pass away, than suffer. S'mores and his sister is going over the Rainbow Bridge where they will be at peace. When you are ready, please visit the shelter and adopt a new kitten. Don't rush into it if you are not ready.

Keep looking for Cupid and as I mentioned before and don't lose hope. I am so sorry all this is happening to you. Stay strong.🙂
Thank you. We’re gonna miss him. But at the same time I’m excited to see who we have to pick from.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my Mom called the woman at the shelter and said we’d like to adopt kittens. Me and my sister agreed that we were ready to adopt a cat or 2, and my parents were on board with it. The longest I’ve ever gone without a cat is 8 months (January-September 2014), between the cat my family had since I was born, Pompey, and Cupid.

We are going to see the one I talked about earlier. His name is Lemon. We don’t have a picture, but judging by his name, I’m guessing he’s a yellowish color. He’s already neutered and is ready to find his new home. I’m excited to see if he’s the perfect fit for us. Me and my family will talk about the name later.

Today was quite weird. Me and my Mom were trying to secure an Xbox Series X (we failed tho, Rip), we got the news about S’mores, and we made the decision to look into other cats. I’m so excited to head off to sleep.

Last edited:

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also think I should explain why Pompey was named the way he was and this also kinda ties in to the search for Cupid. My Dad is a 9th grade Latin teacher at the same high school he graduated from, and the same one me and my sister go to now. Since he started teaching there, he’s given himself the nickname Caesar, as that’s the ancient Roman figure he knows the most about. Just to give you a sense of how he is, my Mom is listed as Calpurnia in his phone. It’s also why I’m named Alex. Partially because my Mom liked the name, and my Dad liked it because, well, Alexander the Great.

In the Julius Caesar stories, two of Caesar’s allies are named Pompey and Crassus. When my Dad started teaching, he adopted two cats. He didn’t like their names, so he renamed them Pompey and Crassus. Pompey lived to the ripe old age of 17. He was a few weeks away from 18 so we always say he was 18 when he died.

Crassus however, I never met. That’s because despite being brothers, Pompey and Crassus were very different. Pompey was a hunter, and loved cuddles no matter what, but Crassus was a hunter and only liked cuddles if he wanted them in that moment. So sometime in either 1999 or 2000, Crassus disappeared for about a month. He came back, but then he went out again, and never came back.

My head has been giving me thoughts that maybe this could be what’s going on with Cupid. Even though he’s more like Pompey in terms of personality, it’s still popped in my head every now and then. Most of the time I’m thinking he’s fine, but it occasionally happens.

Here‘s a picture of Pompey. I’ll find one of Crassus in a photo album later, but I have this one saved on my iPad now, so I’ll upload it. I think this was taken around 2011 or 2012.

Attachments

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so I’m going to tell the story of how we got them.

We initially went in looking for one cat, Lemon. We arrived at the shelter and it was entirely different from when we adopted Cupid. A whole new layout with an even bigger cat room. They took us over to Lemon’s little apartment. We watched as he contemplated jumping down. He eventually did, and we started playing with him.

While we were doing this, another kitten took notice that there were people ready to play, and started scratching on the glass. My sister heard it, and saw him. She cheered him on like “Yeah, you can do it kitten!” Eventually, the woman who works at the shelter asked if we wanted to let him out. We said yes. She let him out, and the kitten started checking Lemon out. My Dad looked at the glass and saw that the kitten’s name was Fluffy.

We already have something at home we call Fluffy, a stuffed animal, so that name would be confusing. Lemon and Fluffy started looking at each other, and started to play with a ball. Me and my sister asked my parents if we could get that one too, and they said yes.

While they did that, we as a family tried to come up with a new name. I thought Garfield because when I first saw him, for some reason, I thought “Oh yeah, that one looks like Garfield.” Then my Mom suggested Mochi. We all liked it, and from then on, Fluffy no more, and had become Mochi.

My Mom filled out the paperwork. We put them in their carriers and went home. I am currently sitting on the couch as they wrestle each other. I have a feeling that they’ll eventually be best buddies.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I’m going to tell the story of how we got them.

We initially went in looking for one cat, Lemon. We arrived at the shelter and it was entirely different from when we adopted Cupid. A whole new layout with an even bigger cat room. They took us over to Lemon’s little apartment. We watched as he contemplated jumping down. He eventually did, and we started playing with him.

While we were doing this, another kitten took notice that there were people ready to play, and started scratching on the glass. My sister heard it, and saw him. She cheered him on like “Yeah, you can do it kitten!” Eventually, the woman who works at the shelter asked if we wanted to let him out. We said yes. She let him out, and the kitten started checking Lemon out. My Dad looked at the glass and saw that the kitten’s name was Fluffy.

We already have something at home we call Fluffy, a stuffed animal, so that name would be confusing. Lemon and Fluffy started looking at each other, and started to play with a ball. Me and my sister asked my parents if we could get that one too, and they said yes.

While they did that, we as a family tried to come up with a new name. I thought Garfield because when I first saw him, for some reason, I thought “Oh yeah, that one looks like Garfield.” Then my Mom suggested Mochi. We all liked it, and from then on, Fluffy no more, and had become Mochi.

My Mom filled out the paperwork. We put them in their carriers and went home. I am currently sitting on the couch as they wrestle each other. I have a feeling that they’ll eventually be best buddies.
Awwwwhhhhh, that is so sweet. Thank you for sharing. I believe that our pets pick us, but we believe it is the other way around.

Kittens are so much fun. They are comedy gold! You will never have a dull moment around them. Congrats on Lemon and Mochi becoming a part of your family. I hope Cupid comes back and becomes their big brother.😺😸😺

Wishing you all the best.😊