My outdoor cat is sick. Emotional support needed please

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would definitely not let him out. He will definitely go out looking for a girlfriend and get hurt again. Are there unaltered females nearby? Years ago I had an unaltered male in the house, and yes, he was sort of on the prowl all the time, but on a much lower key.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Haru was neutered and recovered nicely. I kept him inside for an additional month because I heard that, it could take time for his hormones to adjust. Well today was day he went back outside. I have to admit. I’m very sad. With my last feral that I spayed (Kisa) she was hesitant to go back outside and it took time for her to adjust. Now she comes and goes as she pleases everyday. I was kinda hoping it would be the same with Haru. Especially since he was in for a longer recovery period than Kisa was.
He didn’t appear to have a hard time inside. After the surgery he adjusted and was actually super affectionate. Constantly wanting affection and cuddles, would sit on my chest cause he was always intrigued by my phone or whatever I was watching on my IPad. Just purring constantly. I would also bring in his bff Kisa (the cat I mentioned above) during the day while I was at work so he wouldn’t be alone and they could play. He seemed happy. They would play and groom one another constantly.
When I let him out there was no hesitation. He just ran off. I’m not sure where. It makes me sad. What if he really didn’t like being inside and now I’ll never see him again ): I know I did the right thing. But you know. I love him. So much. I want him to be happy and okay and fed. I hope he comes back. (It’s also only been like 2 hours since I’ve seen him so it’s possible I’m being dramatic as usual, but still) but yeah. This was his update

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He may be exploring, but will probably come back to the house. He may be hanging out closer than you think.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Haru was neutered and recovered nicely. I kept him inside for an additional month because I heard that, it could take time for his hormones to adjust. Well today was day he went back outside. I have to admit. I’m very sad. With my last feral that I spayed (Kisa) she was hesitant to go back outside and it took time for her to adjust. Now she comes and goes as she pleases everyday. I was kinda hoping it would be the same with Haru. Especially since he was in for a longer recovery period than Kisa was.
He didn’t appear to have a hard time inside. After the surgery he adjusted and was actually super affectionate. Constantly wanting affection and cuddles, would sit on my chest cause he was always intrigued by my phone or whatever I was watching on my IPad. Just purring constantly. I would also bring in his bff Kisa (the cat I mentioned above) during the day while I was at work so he wouldn’t be alone and they could play. He seemed happy. They would play and groom one another constantly.
When I let him out there was no hesitation. He just ran off. I’m not sure where. It makes me sad. What if he really didn’t like being inside and now I’ll never see him again ): I know I did the right thing. But you know. I love him. So much. I want him to be happy and okay and fed. I hope he comes back. (It’s also only been like 2 hours since I’ve seen him so it’s possible I’m being dramatic as usual, but still) but yeah. This was his update
I would not have let him back out. He clearly liked being inside and was tame, if you couldn't keep him permanently you could have found an indoor home for him instead. Each cat that I have tnr, who seemed tame and I did not keep them inside for other reasons I have regretted it. 2 I took in when they became ill and had to watch them die/euthanize knowing if I had gone the xtra mile and kept them, had them adopted they would have lived a safer, happier life. 2 who were not tame, one who bit me, are both now inside and very happy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's used to the area, he'll be back. I have 3 inside, I'll never let them roam again, I've lost too many to the road. But I also have 4 outside. A mama and her kittens. One left to spay ( next week) and I'll have them done. I've already lost 2 sisters of these to the road too. It's a heartbreak I can do without.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He came back y’all 🤦🏻‍♀️ Lol. I went out to check to see if he was around the area. Called out his name and there he was on my neighbors fence (he used to always do this before whenever I would look for him) He was out for a total of 5 ish hours. He didn’t follow me back inside but he let me carry him in. Then just plopped on my bed to sleep lol. This is similar to our routine from before he was neutered. I’d bring him in for wet food or treats. He’d take a nap then let me know when he wanted out. He seems very happy.
I appreciate everyone who reached out and responded. And trust me. I understand the fear that comes with letting him outside. one of my indoors who desperately always wants to go outside is no longer allowed to cause he would always return injured. but then I had a cat prior for 12 years. He was indoor/outdoor all that time and was very happy. So I’ll keep not on how he is and go from there. It’s also a little comforting that he stayed by my house (everyday or every other day) for almost two years prior to being neutered. So we’ll see how things go.