My Orange Half-Coon with a Loving Nature and Intense Curiosity is Feeling Unwell Today

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, it's been awhile. I hope you and your furry confidants are all happy and healthy. My 2 kitties are my best buds. Today I noticed that Reginald started shaking his head and licking his mouth as if he was irritated by something, or in pain. He will occasionally moisten his paw and then pat his face with it. He's been his mostly playful self, but maybe a bit of lethargy and I noticed a split second of him losing balance uncharacteristically. He's indoor/outdoor, and I'm sorry for letting him out, I know it's not exactly the optimum level of responsibility.

He's just now started to dry wheeze. He's got his normal appetite. He enjoyed a firm brushing against both sides of his face so I'm not sure that he has a dental issue. He's not scratching his ears, so probably not ear mites. He did have a very loose stool earlier, which he will produce every several weeks or so and has since I adopted him 5 years ago. (he's about 6 years old). Vet said he was in tip top shape in October. He's due for a visit in July but Im trying to get him in on Tuesday. He's not in agony but something is not right. he's not grooming himself as much. He's drinking a lot of water at the moment.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys might have related specifically to these symptoms.

The next cat I adopt will be a indoor only cat, I promise!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reginald started shaking his head and licking his mouth as if he was irritated by something, or in pain. He will occasionally moisten his paw and then pat his face with it.
I can only comment on why my cat does this, which is probably a unique scenario specific to him.

I rescued him from outside at a young age, and while he had been abandoned outside, he developed a serious bacterial respiratory infection. This infection has bounced back throughout his entire life (he's now 10). My vet always told me it's possible that these things can stick with cats forever.

He grooms his face a LOT, in the way you describe (which is how cats normally groom their faces, BTW), because he sneezes and sometimes gets nasal discharge. Also shakes his head a lot for the same reason. And he licks upward towards his nose to clear the discharge away.

I treat him with zeniquin every once in a while, which helps, until the symptoms return.

He's just now started to dry wheeze.
My cat also does the same thing when his respiratory infection resurfaces. It's not frequent (the sneezing is a lot more frequent), but he does sometimes cough/wheeze.

The next cat I adopt will be a indoor only cat, I promise!
No judgment here, but is there a reason you couldn't make this cat an indoor cat? Did you try and it just did not work out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only comment on why my cat does this, which is probably a unique scenario specific to him.

I rescued him from outside at a young age, and while he had been abandoned outside, he developed a serious bacterial respiratory infection. This infection has bounced back throughout his entire life (he's now 10). My vet always told me it's possible that these things can stick with cats forever.

He grooms his face a LOT, in the way you describe (which is how cats normally groom their faces, BTW), because he sneezes and sometimes gets nasal discharge. Also shakes his head a lot for the same reason. And he licks upward towards his nose to clear the discharge away.

I treat him with zeniquin every once in a while, which helps, until the symptoms return.

My cat also does the same thing when his respiratory infection resurfaces. It's not frequent (the sneezing is a lot more frequent), but he does sometimes cough/wheeze.

No judgment here, but is there a reason you couldn't make this cat an indoor cat? Did you try and it just did not work out?
Thank you, he'd stand at the door and cry, follow me and cry and never let up. I keep him fully indoors from October-March and he only goes outside between 8AM-6PM, and not in bad weather.

He doesn't wander and likes to hunt things in the tall vegetation next to the house.

I assumed it was an infection of some kind...he paws at the right side of his face though...so maybe it is a tooth infection.

Of course this happens over Memorial Day weekend and the vet is closed tomorrow. So if he has the same symptoms tomorrow, I'll have to seriously consider driving to the animal hospital and pay their price.

Or wait another day and hope that the vet can fit him into their schedule.

Thanks for your information.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assumed it was an inf toection of some kind...he paws at the right side of his face though...so maybe it is a tooth infection.

Of course this happens over Memorial Day weekend and the vet is closed tomorrow. So if he has the same symptoms tomorrow, I'll have to seriously consider driving to the animal hospital and pay their price.
Is he sneezing at all?

I hesitate to offer the advice of "don't be so worried about it" because I am not a vet. But I can just provide the one anecdote that I have about my cat, who is the first cat I ever owned. He's had this condition for 10 years and is very healthy otherwise. It's more of a nuisance thus far... I'm sure he doesn't like sneezing out snot, because his grooming instinct goes through the roof, and he's constantly grooming his face when he is sneezing... but he also gets snot on things in my home sometimes, which is annoying for me.

His respiratory infection was basically diagnosed as unknown bacterial. It would have taken a ton of expensive tests to fully figure it out, and even then it wouldn't be 100% possible to figure out, nor 100% curable. And how it was explained to me, the specific bacteria causing the infection can change over time.

I don't truly understand the science, but in my cat's case, it had to do with him contracting an infection when he was under one year of age, as he was lost outside, and it damaged him enough to make infections never 100% curable. That's how multiple vets explained it to me.

I give him zeniquin (broad-spectrum antibiotic) about once a year, which is about the interval after which his symptoms come back. It helps him pretty quickly.

Sneezing is his main symptom. Coughing and wheezing are less common, but they do happen.

Again, I am in no place to say "don't panic," becauae I have no idea what your cat may have. I'm just saying that in my cat's case, this has been a lifelong problem that has only minorly impacted his quality of life. He's never lost any energy, play drive, or appetite from this chronic infection. Of course, I treat it whenever it seems like he needs treatment. But take that for what it's worth.

Also, just throwing this out there... your cat's indoor/outdoor situation definitely sounds like something that can be worked on and solved. Have you started a thread dedicated to this issue, specifically? There are a ton of knowledgeable people on this forum who can give you advice about your cat's whining/crying to go outside. The fact that he always comes back makes me feel like it's not an insurmountable problem.

Especially because he is sick, I would maybe make another attempt to keep him inside while you figure out this problem.

Last edited:

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I brought him to the vet, who was unable to determine anything at all other than he's otherwise perfectly healthy.

Day 6 of this and he still has the behavior. Starting to think it's an allergy, but there's nothing new or different in his food.

Guess I'll just keep monitoring it.

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's also been indoors full time...and I might just make it a permanent thing. I love him and would be devastated if he got hurt or killed.

You shoudve seen him tuck his head into me at the vet cuz he was so scared. Such a precious little guy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, they really looked at his mouth? Did they do blood tests?

He could have eaten/drank something bad outside, or the manufacturer of his food could have changed an ingredient due to supply chain issues although this doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, it seems more like he ingested something.

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, they really looked at his mouth? Did they do blood tests?

He could have eaten/drank something bad outside, or the manufacturer of his food could have changed an ingredient due to supply chain issues although this doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, it seems more like he ingested something.
He looked at his mouth pretty thoroughly. Said he didn't see any signs of inflammation. Blood pressure and heart rate normal. Nothing in ears. No mucous discharge. No blood tests. I suppose that might have to be the next step if this continues much longer.

He did sneeze again this morning. Also has some smelly gas...