My one year old male has a UTI

angel davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am really worried about my one year old male, he was diagnosed with a uti a couple of days ago.. and said they spotted crystals in his urine. the vet put him on a antibiotic called baytril. now he is going to the litter box like ever min.. he squats and uses the floor alot ... i thought maybe the med would be kicking in my now.. he is eating and drinking just fine.. if anyone has any advice please let me know thanks .

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear that he is in pain. So he has both an urinary tract INFECTION (which is what the Baytril is for) and crystals? What kind of crystals (most likely struvite)? How are the crystals being addressed?

With the infection, it is best to do a culture & sensitivity to determine the type of bacteria and the best antibiotic for it. If the Baytril does not seem to be working, I would call your vet and discuss it. He may need a different type of antibiotic.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet give you special food?  Have you called the vet to tell them what you're seeing and that the problem doesn't appear any better?  Also, you might ask for a pain med, but NOT metacam!!  Also, don't let the vet give him the Convenia (2-wk) antibiotic shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angel davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply y'all. i have called the vet , she said its most likely the steroid shot cronozone  they gave him for his skin, they gave him a shot also to break the crystals down..  i just hope he gets better real soon he's my baby cakes i love him dearly i hate to see him like this =(  nope they did not give me no specail food. she recommended i put him on Purina one urinary  health. then a

gain it's only been a couple of days

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat looks a lot like my Ricochet, who also developed UTI problems not too long ago.

It took several rounds of antibiotics before Ricochet's UTI cleared up for good (I don't recall what antibiotics they were now - sorry). He also was on steroids for about a week. I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend putting your cat on a special diet. I put Ricochet on a combination of Science Diet urinary tract formula & Purina One urinary health: I did it that way cuz he wasn't too crazy about the Purina formula by itself, and the Science Diet costs a small fortune, so I just mix the two together and he's been doing fine since then (I also have 10 other cats to feed, and it's easier just to feed ALL of them the same thing than to feed them all separately). You can also feed canned food to your cat, which has a higher water content and is more beneficial if your cat doesn't drink enough water.  Make sure he's drinking plenty of water, too. The steroids will make him drink more and help flush out his system...

Keep an eye on him, and if there isn't any improvement, I would consider taking him to another vet. I had to take Ricochet to three different vets before getting any results. I hope your cat is feeling better soon!

angel davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow he does look like your kitty!! they gave him a cortisone shot.  recommended perinea one. could it possibly be the shot of the side effects that's doing this to him? wow i am sure glad your baby is better! it's hard when their sick.. i am trying not to get to stressed cause i herd cats can feed off your emotions..

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of a shot that breaks down crystals. Do you remember what it's called? And what is going on with his skin that required a cortisone shot?

angel davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 he is   allergic   to fleas .. i cannot remember what the other shot was called.. it's not even on the re...  how would cranberry nectar work? would it help him out a lil?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cranberries contain benzoic and salicylic acids, both of which are toxic to cats. I really would recommend talking to your vet if you feel the current meds are not working rather than adding anything else at this point.

angel davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info he seems to be feeling a lot better. tonight.

Last edited: