My one year old cat seems obese but barely eats

micatsa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lulu, my american shorthair is very quiet and loves to be alone, asking for pets only sometimes. She plays excessively when she's in the mood and if not she sleeps on her hammock, for hours.

They were free fed for almost 5 months before we slowly shifted to scheduled feeding. But even now Lulu don't eat at one of the scheduled times and chooses to sleep. When she does eat, it's not finished.

She's been spayed as soon as it was possible. At that time we weren't aware that she was pregnant and it was aborted (we cried for her because she already had her mother instincts).

Even before that she had always been a fluffy cat but it wasn't her fur it's her body. I want to assume it's healthy but there could be underlying illness and the local vets are closed because of covid. Could it be the effects of abortion, spay, or?? Because she have two more sisters and they're fine. Her mother is also healthy. There's excess flap of skin hanging from her tummy which is supposedly normal.

Should I be worried?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you maybe share what they're eating, how often, and what she weighs?

What does she look like from above, what might her Body Condition Score be, can you feel her ribs when you try from the sides?

Also, how old is she and when was the spaying?

Sorry for so many questions!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Answers to the above questions might help. But, you could also use this body condition chart (see file below) to compare to Lulu - and, maybe even share a pic of her with us.

The excess skin hanging down from the lower portion of her belly is normal - most cats have it by Lulu's age - it is called a primordial pouch. Unfortunately, the body chart I am sharing with you doesn't bother to reflect it - just like most other charts. Since it is almost standard on most cats, you would think they would include it in their charts!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As was stated, the primordial pouch is very normal in a cat her age. If the spay/abort was not done correctly, or if an infection set in, I think that you would see worse symptoms. As I read you post, you are talking about lethargy and reduced appetite?