My older cat keeps bullying my kitten

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear all,
I have 3 year old ragdoll (male), and just got a kitten for a week now (also male) šŸ¤ We had a slow introduction.. at the begining everything looked OK, but the more they spend time together, the more my older cat keeps chasing and bullying the little kitten. The kitten started to hiss lately, but my older cat does not stop.. i leave them in seperate floors during night, but I would like to ask you how I should manage the situation, i can not understand if they are playing only or it is a fight.. (older cat does not hiss, but jumps on the kitten very often, kitten hisses afterwards)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its over enthusiastic play, as adults dont attack kittens below 6 months of age with intent to injure -- and certainly if the 3 year old somehow had that intent as to a young kitten, the kitten would be badly hurt. This is more common with even younger adult cats, but 3 is still young enough for some cats to be stupid over enthusiastic about playing with a kitten. Should work out on its own, and relatively quickly too. If the kitten is really young, then a little more thought about whether the situation is ok might be warranted.

Feel free to post a video if you have continuing concerns. Easier to host it somewhere else and just put the link here.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would only add that almost any mature cat will spend a certain amount of time teaching a kitten their manners...and kittens tend to resent this. What you are describing is either that, or what A ArtNJ spoke about, or probably a bit of both.

Michelle919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I know this is an older thread but I came here due to having the same exact problem. I too have an almost 3 yo ragdoll male and have recently adopted a 4mo female. I did the slow introduction, kept them separated for almost a week and they seem fine 75% of the time. They will eat together and sit together at the window, but my male often chases her and pins her down and bites her. He will even do this when she is sleeping! I cant imagine it is a hard bite because she always comes back back. He just seems to be a bully.

I'm wondering if the behavior got any better or stopped, and if so... any advice?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I know this is an older thread but I came here due to having the same exact problem. I too have an almost 3 yo ragdoll male and have recently adopted a 4mo female. I did the slow introduction, kept them separated for almost a week and they seem fine 75% of the time. They will eat together and sit together at the window, but my male often chases her and pins her down and bites her. He will even do this when she is sleeping! I cant imagine it is a hard bite because she always comes back back. He just seems to be a bully.

I'm wondering if the behavior got any better or stopped, and if so... any advice?
Its fine, biting is part of play. If she isn't even whining, its not a hard bite. If she is whining, its like awe man, cant we play tag or take turns? Not pain. A 3 yo would be capable of quickly killing a kitten with a real bite, but adults never attack kittens for real. Its true this likely isn't equal play, (some adults allow equal play, some dont) but thats ok, its a common situation. Play will become more equal in time.