My (not yet a year old) cat is extremly fat and I have no idea why

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stray cat so I dont know how old she is but she looks to be about 6 or 7 months... her stomach is really fat but she is a really small cat so its not over weight I don't think. When I feel of her stomach it's hard to feel movement(as if pregnant) because she is constanly purring. But something I DO feel underneath her skin is very strange that I've never felt in a cat before.. It has this, worm-like feel to it as if a worm is inside of her but it doesnt go anywhere, it is always in the same place, and there may be more, she wont be still long enough to let me search for more. She is very clingy to me as if she has been with me forever, although its only been about 3 or 4 weeks, if that even. I have examined her fecies every time she "goes", but it always looks normal, never runny or wormy, always solid.. Any honest opinions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At her age she is almost certainly pregnant. That's probably why she's fat. . .you should get her in to the vet for proper prenatal care. She will also need vaccines and de-worming, but the vet may want to wait until after the kittens for that. If she's less than 6 weeks along you won't be able to feel the kittens moving yet. If by some miracle she isn't pregnant (highly doubtful; all unspayed cats with access to a tomcat get pregnant between January and March), she'll still need shots, spaying, and de-worming.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does not sound normal. I really think you need to have her examined by a vet to make sure that it's not an enlarged organ you feel. She could of course be pregnant but it may also be something else. As mentioned she will need to get shots and stuff anyway. If she is early in her pregnancy I would highly recommend that you get her spayed asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both, I will be sure and take her to our vet when we go for our yearly checkups with my other animals, I think our next coming up appointment is early in April so it won't be too much longer.... Does anyone know if a pregnant cat's teats are Always enlarged and rosy? Because Clove's are not.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she look fat or it is just her belly looking like a water balloon? Does it feel mushy or firm?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their nipples will start to pink up about 3 weeks into the pregnancy. Has she been kept inside since you took her in?

Other reasons I have seen for a bloated tummy are worms, FIP, and liver cancer. The last 2 are bad :(. But unlikely in a very young cat. But you should definitely have her in for a checkup.

Last edited:

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
her stomach is firm and fat all the way around

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
indoors and out, indoors whenn I'm home, outdoors in a big dog pen when I'm gone