My Next Maine Coon Stud!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've got my first male and female. Since I'm going for ethics here, I'm only breeding females twice a year, which means I need at least two males (and I'll get more males per female). Now it's time to expand the gene pool! I've been looking at two males, though a third has just been born that I'm first in line just by virtue of being a breeder, and being something of a friend to this breeder. Two are from Europe and will need transport. The newborn is not just in the USA, but in my state, 3-4 hours away. All are kittens, which, I know, I should stop looking at, but no adult or older kitten I've seen has had both good features and a desirable coloring. I did find one very nice boy, but he is white with black spots, which tend to make a lot of spot coloring babies, and it doesn't seem like there's much of a market for them. So, I have 4 options, the fourth of which being to wait for another older male.

Alaska's breeder is the one with a newborn, who has me at the front of the line on an option to see how this kitten matures. He is bred from Alaska's mom and a stunning red with white male with no relation to Alaska's father, with the kind of outstanding ruff I've been looking for. Mom's ruff is no slacker either! My adorable, feisty new girl kitten's breeder uses one of his sons as a stud (Jesse, at JinxysDen), and her standards are very high. He isn't related to Diamond, though. She was sired by JinxysDen's Russian male, Chili Pepper. The only male from ArtCityClaws' new litter is a red, but, again, was just born yesterday, so I could get an option to watch him grow. I will get a photo of him tomorrow, and ads it to the thread. Still, a bit can be learned about features from pictures taken when the kitten is <2 weeks old. Alaska's chin stuck out like a sore thumb at that age (and I have photos to prove it!) and normalized as he went towards 1-2 months, only to resume its prominence as an adult. If needed, since this boy is so young, I can show you each kittens' parents as a point of reference. Since his father is completely American (though you can't tell from looking at him) and mom is only 50% European, he'll only be 25% European, but honestly, I care more about quality than what nationality is on the pedigree. I'm about making something new, beyond European and American both.

The second kitten is from Siberia, Russia. His father is a carrier for HCM, though it is not active. I can at least appreciate them telling me this. She has agreed, at no extra cost, to test the kitten for the HCM gene, as I will have none of that in my cattery. So, in this hypothetical, let's assume he comes up negative, as that's the only way I'm buying him. I am demanding paperwork as well, as proof. I've seen paperwork from the same area, and have an eye for forgeries. I'll ensure it's all legitimate. He is between 2 and 3 months.

Screenshot_2018-07-21-19-20-36_20180721203217665.jpg
Screenshot_2018-07-21-19-20-41.jpg
Screenshot_2018-07-20-00-43-24.jpg

Screenshot_2018-07-20-00-43-37.jpg

The third kitten is French. They're supposedly a premier breeder and this is the pairing of their two most award winning cats. I show a bit of skepticism because the male appears to be lacking in the coat department. This kitten is the most expensive by $1,000 USD, so the real question is, "Is he worth it over the two cheaper babies"? He is 2.5 months old. His cattery prides themselves on males weighing 27 to 29 pounds. I have been wanting a black stud, as I find black Maine Coons to be really beautiful. But is he worth the price? Is he fluffy enough? I also worry about those lynx tips, though both of his parents have very nice ones. He may just be too young for them to shine just yet?

Irresistor-1.jpg
Irresistor-3.jpg
Irresistor-2.jpg

The fourth option, obviously, is to wait for an older male who's proven his meddle.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I don't understand why you need to shop for an additional male at this time? I know it's really fun to shop for new cats and make future plans, but wouldn't it be a better idea to wait until after you have had more experience with showing your cats, more experience seeing and handling other peoples' cats (not just looking at photos) both at shows and visiting catteries, and after you have raised at least one litter of your own and have some experience with your own kittens as they develop?

All too soon, you are going to have a houseful and it's very, very easy for breeders to become overwhelmed with numbers, especially when we are talking about multiple males, and multiple litters of kittens at one time. I know I sound like a cranky old lady here and you've already heard this from me, but I strongly advise taking it very slow with expanding your numbers.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's just that I let my females have two litters max per year, and I'd like for them to be sired by different males. That's all. Plus, I only breed females through age 5 for their health, so if I wanna see what they're all capable of making, especially the beautiful girl I have now. I need to diversify my litters.

I understand concerns about the number of cats, especially since I do rescue as well! I come from parents who have a house of 20 cats so maybe it's just what I'm used to. I have inventions planned to allow males free roam of the house, and, once my husband has been an independent contractor for two years, at the end of this year, we can buy one of the 2-3 story homes we're looking at which are much larger than my parents' place, and I hope to have fewer cats than her. Not to mention, I made a post here once asking how many people have, and I got lots of 15+ cat answers. As long as everyone is inside, vetted/healthy, happy, given enough attention (I'm disabled, as in, been on a cane since 23 disabled, and home all of the time, usually alone) have their needs supplied, get along, and can't breed unless they are breeders and even then, they only mate when you specifically decide they will (as in, a specific pair, and I've told @1CatOverTheLine a little about my plans for an invention that makes this possible, is better than anything on the market for this purpose, and makes a free home roaming life for males a reality). Besides, after this, my husband said "Last one before we get the house!“

Last edited:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And now, because I asked about a cat they no longer have, a Russian breeder is trying to get me to purchase this HCM n/n boy. I'd be suspicious of her pushiness, but she sent multiple videos. His coat doesn't seem right, and I don't think he's that great looking, though I appreciate he looks decent... just not outstanding.

received_288696888357044.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-07-22-04-24-02.png
Screenshot_2018-07-22-04-23-57.png
Screenshot_2018-07-22-04-24-15.png

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not going to lecture you about jumping in over your head - that is your business. I do want to remind you though, that some males of breeding age will get testy or downright mean if not allowed to breed regularly. I had this happen. I didn't have a girl for this boy and wanted to grand him before using him. I decided to neuter him when he snapped (like a dog) at 2 judges because of frustration. I didn't need him that badly in my program to have a flaw in temperament like that.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always use stud service if you want to diversify your litters. You don't need to own all the males you ever use.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess. Alaska is losing his looks as he grows up. I could just breed my female to the cats of others.

... The best laid plans of mice and men. Might as well not even register as a cattery.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess. Alaska is losing his looks as he grows up. I could just breed my female to the cats of others.

... The best laid plans of mice and men. Might as well not even register as a cattery.
. All the more reason to proceed slowly. Learn more about the breed, talk to more experienced people in the breed to learn what to expect and how to judge what a kitten will look like as an adult. Don’t give up, just go slowly.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find this situtation confusing. Isn’t it best practices to keep the stud isolated, for eveyone’s mental and physical health? Also, isn’t a breeder encouraged to have as close to ten cats or fewer at a time as possible, to discourage illness, especially FIP? It seems like MistyDawn MistyDawn also operates some kind of rescue, if I’m reading that correctly. Are the Maine Coons in a seperate enclosure of some kind, like their own little screen house or something? Or are the rescues?

I have enjoyed reading your posts, Misty, and I feel like maybe you would be happier and feel more free to move forward with your breeding project if you had a smaller total number of cats (Maine Coons & rescues & pets combined) to concentrate on. I don’t breed cats myself, but the breeder I know has a very specific setup involving a stud room. I have also read one of the CFA pages on cattery best practices (just google CFA cattery best practices, they have several articles), which shows a good cattery layout and also emphasizes isolating the nursing queens etc. I know you mentioned buying a new house, but can you rearrange your current house to make the situtation more sympathetic to Alaska and Diamond? Can you find permanent homes for your rescues so you can concentrate on your breeding program? How many pet cats (ie, not breeding cats or rescues) do you have?

Anyway, I admire your determination and hope things go the way you are dreaming of. Maybe you could ask the people you meet at cat shows how they set up their cats’ living areas...I’m sure you’ll get a variety of interesting answers. I would also be interested to hear how people on this forum set up their physical cattery. Good luck Misty!!