My newly adopted cat does not meow

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Stormi. She’s a rescue which I adopted 3 weeks ago tomorrow. She’s about 2 years old and we’ve had a rough start. She ended up having bronchitis and a tooth infection. So two visits to the vet since I’ve had her. What a start.

Anyway, she's very shy and still runs when she sees us walking her way but is making progress. She does take treats from my hand and let’s us pet her (when she wants). She’s very sweet but so frightened.

We have not heard her meow at all. Not once. Not even when scared. She just makes little grunting noises here and there.

Is this normal?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is very normal for a cat who is not sure of herself yet. Three weeks is not long in a cat's world, she has been through a lot. Cats do not usually meow to each other, other than calling for a mate or a mother to her kittens. Meowing is something they learn gets them attention from their caregivers. Yours does not want attention right now. That will come in time, taking treats from you is a great step forward, she will gain confidence and join in your family soon. seh is absolutely gorgeous!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 5 cats. 3 of them do not meow. Only Graham is the most talkative and complaining of all. LOL. I have not heard my Barley meow since I adopted him, and Bourbon does not meow too - just a thrill and some other noises from time to time. Each of my cats communicate with me in their own ways. Example, if my Bourbon wants to eat, she swats me. No meow. My Barley follows me like a shadow when he wants something like food, treats.

so I think your cat is just fine.
Congrats btw! Stormi is gorgeous!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with CatladyJan CatladyJan that she may be semi feral which is not at all a bad thing. If she started out in life that way, she was taught by her mother never to make any noise as it would alert a predator to the litter. When your cat does start to meow, if it sounds a little "off" it will be because she never learned how. My cats presently are all rescued ferals and they all make funny little squeaks. Only one, Jamie, rescued at about 4 weeks, meows.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve had six cats from kittenhood and two I adopted as older semi-ferals. Those I got as kittens were/are all quite chatty. The two semi-ferals took some time before they would talk to me...or let me pet them.

Mayflower (six-ish when I rescued her from the street) never said much more than “Urr” for the 12 years we had together. Mocha, who was three when I brought her home, squeaks or simply opens and closes her mouth with no sound at all.

None of our cats has ever talked much to my husband, but he seldom talks to them. I talk to them constantly, and they’re much more communicative with me, both vocally and with body language. Stormi may develop her “voice” over time as she feels more relaxed and interacts with you more. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had six cats from kittenhood and two I adopted as older semi-ferals. Those I got as kittens were/are all quite chatty. The two semi-ferals took some time before they would talk to me...or let me pet them.

Mayflower (six-ish when I rescued her from the street) never said much more than “Urr” for the 12 years we had together. Mocha, who was three when I brought her home, squeaks or simply opens and closes her mouth with no sound at all.

None of our cats has ever talked much to my husband, but he seldom talks to them. I talk to them constantly, and they’re much more communicative with me, both vocally and with body language. Stormi may develop her “voice” over time as she feels more relaxed and interacts with you more. :)
Thank you. This helps.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently own a cat who never really meows. I thought something was wrong with her, but she makes these tiny cries once in awhile when she wants attention.

Not every cat is a meower. However, if your cat was trying to meow but has difficulty(e.g.hoarseness that never goes away) then I would get that checked by the vet.

I also agree with some of the others on this thread who pointed out that feral cats remain quiet because of the fear of attracting a predator. This is probably ingrained in them. Ihave trapped feral cats for tnr and while they may in the beginning work up a fuss, they do get real quiet when trapped and held for tnr.
🙂

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My delicious smelling gray tabby, Atticus, doesn't meow either. It's funny actually. He'll open his mouth but nothing comes out. I was worried when he was a kitten until his vet said not to. Atticus makes up for it though with his thunderous purr! He sounds like a freight train when he gets going. He, like my other two cats, sleeps on our bed and if he has a good dream during the night and starts purring he'll wake us up.
:purr:

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is probably 2 things combined. 1 she is feeling insecure & 2 if she was raised by a feral mama she would not have been trained to meow to get the stupid human’s attention. Cats are much more about very subtle body language. So cats meowing us like us trying to silently come cats using giant hand/arm signals while jumping up and down. Also some cats are just quieter.

I would suggest giving her time and meowing at her. Try lots of different meows. If she meows back at you, give her a few treats. The best treats come out for meow practice. 😉

I would play with her and just spend time talking to her. You can read out loud yo her for 30-60 minutes every day.

I taught my last cat to meow softer ..... in a non headache inducing way. (He had a siamese meow he did occasionally & I’m prone to migraines.) My current cat, I taught to meow back at me for his wet food instead of sitting..... because I almost stepped on him a few times when he snuck up behind me! Cats are very trainable. So give it time. Someday when she meows at you, respond quickly & talk to her.

⭐Then again I have a talkative cat ..... who meows for the fun of it. He loves to scream/sing in the shower where he gets a good echo. 🤦🏻‍♀️ At least once a day he meows and I respond “what?” ..... I have learned he shuts up in a minute or two if I talk back to the attention hog. If she turns into a talker, you may wind up wishing she was quieter.