My new kitten is very skittish

tylacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I adopted a new kitten of three months of age and he is very skittish. He is scared of not only me but everything around me. I feel like im walking on eggshells whenever im in his presence. How long does it take for a kitten to grow out of this phase?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it took my two several weeks or maybe even a month to stop hissing at us and hiding every time they saw us. Just keep showing the kitten that you are "safe" and won't hurt them and he will eventually come around. It will happen on his timeline not yours.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let him come to you. Don't pick him up or put him in your lap. Maybe get a wand feather toy to play with him. Toss him a treat occasionally.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually less than a week, but it can be longer and obviously some cats retain some degree of skittishness their whole lives, even if they were nicely home raised. Follow A ArchyCat 's advice and with patience you'll see improvement. Watch for times and areas that he is more approachable, like when sleepy or on the bed. That is often how it starts and you can expand from there.