My new kitten is PREGNANT by her BROTHER!?!? / Fading Kitten Syndrome??

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey I know by reading the title you’re probably really mad thanking how could this person do that to her cat. There’s a lot more to the story so please don’t bash me before finishing, thank you. In December I lost two cats to FIP even after doing the experimental medication last month in February I decided to start a search for two new babies to add to my group of boys I have four cats all male and fixed. I’m in a group on Facebook where people rehome animals in my state and I found a set of cats that I really liked they were listed as two males and brothers fixed all shots done and micro chipped. I brought them home last night around 9 o’clock and of course they were really scared not only did I get the two cats but the person brought a little kitten with them about three months old and said that I had to take all three which at the time I wasn’t really bothered by it because he was really cute and told he was fixed and microchip as well Today the kitten opened up and he was completely fine but this is about the other two they were really really scared and would not let me touch them today the actual boy “Chubbs” Let me touch him and pick him up I quickly notice he has his balls and immediately I contacted the person who gave them to me only to find out they had blocked me and they were gone from the group. I then went to look at the kitten “Boot” and he and he also had his balls. It was now time to check “Mango” immediately noticed that he did not have his balls I posted a picture on a cat Facebook group of his genitals and they all said that mango was a girl. My best friend is a veterinarian and came to look at her today and said she looks very pregnant. I am of course very upset that I first of all got scammed with these babies and that this poor girl is pregnant. I don’t know what to do I’ve never had a pregnant animal except a guinea pig and I don’t really know how to help her. I am pretty against Spaying while pregnant except an extreme cases.I’ve heard that the cat can become really depressed from losing the pregnancy I just assumed let her have these babies and get her fixed ASAP and of course get Chubbs and Boot fixed ASAP and get the babies fixed and find them homes. I’m more so looking for advice on how to care for her and the babies she lives with my five boys in their cat room at the moment Ive read that mom should be separated from male cats, I just don’t really have an extra room that I could use for that any ideas? I don’t know how far along she is yet the vet appointment is a few weeks out I just want to help her and help keep her babies healthy thank you for reading this through I appreciate it! ( I’ve included pictures of mom (Mango)-The orange and white cat.) (Chubbs)- Tabby and white cat.) (Boot)- The black and white cat) Idk how genetics work but would they have had this little black kitten..? Or are they even siblings i mean on is orange tabby and one is a brown tabby… let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brothers may not be the fathers (& shame on the scammer who used your group! I hope you mention this in your group & person who gave you the cats.) Hopefully your group will band together to help you find homes for the kittens.

Inbred kittens have a higher chance of death or genetic disorders. I’m thinking of the tragic case in a cat breed FB group I’m part of where the brother knocked up the sister and a litter of kittens was born. One of the kittens died before they hit 4?5? Months old due to a bad heart! 😢

For the mom? Give her (& all your cats if need be) kitten food and give her a quiet room. It may be time to put out a few nesting boxes (maybe even a nesting box in a cardboard box with a small entrance cut in the side of one box) to give her an extra secure place to nest in the quieter rooms. If the vet tech can feel the babies she may be closer than you think. Hopefully the vet can give you a idea on how far along she is.

Neutering is not invasive like spaying is. I bring this up because there are many low cost spay/neuter clinics (at least here in the states.) So hopefully that will help get the boys fixed ASAP (& will help them get along better.)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the boys neutered right away (she can get pregnant again soon after giving birth, and males can remain fertile for a while after neutering). Feed her a high-quality kitten food. Fix up a private space like a bedroom, a walk-in closet, the laundry room, or spare bathroom for her so she can raise her babies in peace away from all the boys. If no spare room is available, there are large cat cages/playpens you can set up. Make sure the wire spacing is small enough that baby kittens can't slip through or get stuck.

Has she lost the fur around her nipples yet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, somehow you have to figure out a separate quiet place for her to give birth when she is closer. Laundry room? bathroom? Large playpen covered. Her kittens may be fine, I have had severely inbred kittens, and they were fine. (Ferals that really had no choice) It is just a chance. Seh can get pregnant again when the kittens are only a week old, so watch out!
Bless you, for taking them in and caring for them, I salute you!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She would require a completely separate room, more so if she's very shy. You need to be able to handle the kittens daily to check for their weight and mom will become quite protective over them. Potentially aggressive towards other cats and people.

How old is she? Is she friendly now or still very shy? Stress can be very bad for a pregnant cat and can lead to stillborn kittens.

It is possible for them to be siblings, unfortunately. Females take the colour of both parents, the boys only the mom. If the mom was a torbie and the dad was ginger then yes for sure could be siblings. The kitten is probably not theirs just a freebie the lady picked up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or the kitten may have been the last of a litter that she has already placed. At least she found homes, hopefully good ones through the FB group. She may have been in an abusive situation where the cats were also in danger yet she could not take them with her. We’ll never know. Glad they are safe now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s only 10 months old 💔 she is starting to trust me alot more now as well, starting to come on out climbing her trees and lounging around Too, i think i can put her in my bathroom i would just be nervous Of my dogs getting in. she would still need to be separated while nursing right?

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? Are there any animal rescue groups near you that can help with providing you supplies and foster homes?
In tampa ! reaching out to a rescue i fostered with in January to see if they’d be willing to help out,

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
She would require a completely separate room, more so if she's very shy. You need to be able to handle the kittens daily to check for their weight and mom will become quite protective over them. Potentially aggressive towards other cats and people.

How old is she? Is she friendly now or still very shy? Stress can be very bad for a pregnant cat and can lead to stillborn kittens.

It is possible for them to be siblings, unfortunately. Females take the colour of both parents, the boys only the mom. If the mom was a torbie and the dad was ginger then yes for sure could be siblings. The kitten is probably not theirs just a freebie the lady picked up.
She’s only 10 months old 💔 she is starting to trust me alot more now as well, starting to come on out climbing her trees and lounging around Too, i think i can put her in my bathroom i would just be nervous Of my dogs getting in. she would still need to be separated while nursing right?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are tons of rescues in the Tampa Bay area that should be willing to help! Yes, she will need privacy once her kittens are born and nursing - no other cats or dogs in her area with the kittens.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the spare bathroom? Or only one bathroom so has heavy traffic? It's best it is an eclosed room that isn't a high traffic spot so she has peace and quiet.

Did your friend say how far along she is? If she's not too far along I would consider spaying her, to be honest. I know you are against it but it would greatly reduce her stress levels (she will be more stressed caring for the kittens and keeping them safe) and the risks are higher for young moms to have complications. If the dad is the brother the kittens may have genetic health issues. I'd suggest talking to your vet to find out risks and benefits of spaying her.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat finally had her babies the issue is they’re all orange.. I can’t tell who is who and I’m weighing them twice a day to make sure they’re all gaining weight which they are I just don’t know who’s gaining what. Is it okay to use these fabric Velcro puppy collars? If not how can I identify them markings don’t help they all look the same. Thanks,
Added lots of pics of them incase you wanted to se them the first one they have the little collars on

Attachments

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay i just made a post about collars but I’ve just weighed them 3 of 4 kittens are 140 grams and up my little runt is only 117 around the weight he was when he was born. He is breathing kind of heavy? But that might be my imagination I dunno. Im getting worried about him, I have kitten formula with syringes and bottles on hand should i step in for mom? She’s not pushing him off but the other babies seem too. could this be fading kitten syndrome??? Please help,

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise