My New Kitten Is Allergic To Fish

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new kitten, Jonesy, is allergic to fish and I'm having trouble finding a suitable wet food for him. He's doing well on the Instinct Limited Ingredient dry food, but I'd prefer to feed a half wet/half dry diet. Aside from being completely intolerant of fish and fish oils, he's also a bit finicky: he won't touch food that has been in the fridge, so I need a food that comes in single serving sized cans/pouches, and he's not a fan of most pates (but he will eat some, so they're worth trying at least). I also would personally prefer to buy a food that is grain-free and either cranberry-free or has very little cranberry (listed below vitamins on the ingredients).

The only completely fish-free kitten-specific foods I have seen are Nutrience original kitten, which only comes in a 5.5oz can and contains brown rice, Fancy Feast kitten turkey flavor, which contains milk and only comes in a pack with the fish flavor, and IAMS kitten, which contains rice flour. In the case of the FF and IAMS, I'm also unsure as to whether "meat by-products" can include fish, so those may not be fish-free after all.

There are a few foods labelled for "all life stages" that I have found, but since they aren't as nutrient-dense as kitten foods they require feeding quite a lot to kittens. Instinct, HALO Impulse, and Tiki Cat "mousse" pouches have some fish-free flavours. The Impulse is only available in the large cans, though, and the Instinct and Tiki Cat are a bit expensive.

For adult cat food, there is a pretty solid variety to choose from, but Jonesy is only 5 months old so I don't think adult maintenance food would be appropriate for him.

Any thoughts on what I've found so far, or suggestions for other brands to look for? I can probably get one of the local specialty pet food stores here to special order something if I have to.

IMG_20170909_091907.jpg
IMG_20170911_100429.jpg

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nutro soft loaf kitten chicken flavor wet food has very healthy ingredients-no grains, no carrageenan, no fruit/veggie fillers or byproducts, and about 96 calories per 3 oz can. It's pate form, but a very soft Pate that ended up being one of the only pate types that my picky cats like

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He actually likes the Nutro, but the kitten pate has fish oil in it. It's pretty low on the list of ingredients, but it still gives him problems. That Whole Earth Farms stuff looks promising, though! I got a nearby shop to order some for me to try out. In the meantime, I will keep searching.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are from Canada? Boreal is a good brand and some formulas do not have fish and fish oil. Boreal - Boreal Cat Foods | Healthy Nutrition | Canadian Ingredients
They have 5.5 and 13 oz cans...my cats don"t like cold meals either but try adding warm water to the refrigerated leftovers. I'm pretty sure its all life stage and cans are BPA and Epoxy free.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked at Boreal before, but all of their formulas appear to contain either fish or fish oil. The vet has suggested experimenting with things that only contain fish oil, as it shouldn't be an issue if it's very high-quality fish oil that has been thoroughly purified, but I don't really want to "experiment" with a developing kitten's allergies. Maybe when he's older I will try to see if there is a brand using sufficiently pure fish oil.

In the meantime, Whole Earth Farms looks to be a winner! Thanks for the suggestions!

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im glad you like Whole Earth Farms...The boreal formula i use is lamb and beef and doesnt have any fish in it. They do have fish in most of their other flavors tho.

Ingredients:
Lamb, Beef, Potassium Chloride, guar gum, vitamin and mineral supplements, zinc methionine and water for sufficient processing.