My new feral kitten (taming)...

Julesandtheferals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey folks! So I managed to get 3 kittens I had brought in tamed, one has been spayed and returned to the colony (and is doing fantastically!), one has been rehomed through a friend and 1 is still here with me. I have with the help of a local charity (who were spaying the ferals outside, TNR) managed to bring in a fourth little poppet, she is around 6 weeks old. Beltane the existing tamed kitten is about 8-9 weeks now and taking no interest in her whatsoever (lol) but the poor wee new kitten is crying quite badly - is there anything I can do to soothe her? She is in the basket/cage with food and water, and I am leaving her be for the remainder of today as she was only brought in this morning... just wondering if I can do anything additional to soothe her though - my last 3 all came in together and pretty much slept and cleaned each other for the first 48 hours!

Any help appreciated. She spits if I go near her (understandably). Is it best to just leave her to her own wee self this evening?

Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is very young and I would try to approach her once she settles in a little bit.

How to Socialize a Kitten

There is something called single kitten syndrome where only one is rescued and no siblings or parent are present. I have rescued two I currently own, Kate and Jamie, this way. Being so young, they do not learn to play with their siblings, do not learn what is allowed or not, and can become a little bit of a handful once they start to scratch or bite only because no one ever taught them how to play. Not their fault. I would start to try to interact with the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julesandtheferals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perfect thank you! I have moved her crate over so she can definitely see me and Beltane (the existing kitten) and it seems to have helped. I will definitely start approaching her as soon as I can, and introduce her to Beltane too for play once they have gotten used to each other. They are currently having a conversation so that is good. :)