My new family member is pregnant; what should I feed her?

Would you choose Sheba, Fancy Feast, Friskies, or Purina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calypso-momma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have fully adopted a stray recently that my apartment-mates had been feeding for a few months previously. I brought her home and she is the calmest, sweetest girl I've ever been around. Yesterday I took her to her very first vet appointment and found out a few surprising things. First, she had tapeworms that I am now in the process of clearing out of her system. Second, she is Pregnant! My one cat household will soon be more but until then I'd like some advice on what best to feed her while she is pregnant. I give her wet food in the morning and a small bowl of dry that she is free to eat throughout the day to which she tends to ignore until evening. Is this the correct way to go about this? My vet says I am doing right so my question is more about what are the brands and specific formulas you would suggest I give Calypso while pregnant then after she gives birth?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast is decent, as long as it's the classic pate varieties since they have less junk filler than most bargain brand canned foods.

If you really want to give her a good canned food then something like Tiki Cat, Instinct, or Dr. Elsey's would be the way to go. Personally I prefer Tiki Cat's chicken flavors since they have no junk ingredients and none of my Cats have a Chicken intolerance. It's also more affordable than the other "top shelf" brands.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dry food should be a kitten formulation; she needs the extra nutrients to grow some healthy babies. If a higher-quality dry isn't in the budget, I've had decent success with Purina ONE kitten food.

For the canned food, well, all of those are pretty comparable. I think there are some new-ish Purina ONE Naturals canned foods that look pretty good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calypso-momma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fancy Feast is decent, as long as it's the classic pate varieties since they have less junk filler than most bargain brand canned foods.

If you really want to give her a good canned food then something like Tiki Cat, Instinct, or Dr. Elsey's would be the way to go. Personally I prefer Tiki Cat's chicken flavors since they have no junk ingredients and none of my Cats have a Chicken intolerance. It's also more affordable than the other "top shelf" brands.
Would you say then that the Tiki Cat Queen Emma Luau Variety Pack Grain-Free Canned Cat Food would be a good option?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also kitten grade tinned varieties. You might feed her those if you can find them. All, buy a powdered form of Kitten Milk Replacement, KMR. Then give her a saucer or two a day. You should feed mom cat kitten grade food as long as she is pregnant or nursing the kittens. She needs the extra calories/protien/minerals for her kittens to be and then for her milk production for the kittens.

Provide updates, please! Then photos when she delivers her kittens!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to feed mom 2-3 times the normal amount of food while she is pregnant and during nursing.