My New Buddy Has Fleas

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

About a month ago a male cat started hanging around the house because of my moms bird feeders. I decided to feed him so he'd leave the birds alone. I figured he might have fleas so I put a flea collar on him. My mother is scared of cats, but she tapped on the screen window and he meowed at her. He is afraid of everyone, but I guess since she was in the house, he figured she was okay. She decided to let him in. He explored the whole house and then wanted out.

The next day I found a flea on my arm just after combing him on the front porch. Mom likes him and wouldn't mind letting him in now and then but not with fleas. I bought Frontline Plus a couple of days ago. I'd never used it before. It said where to put it and not to get it on your skin etc. It's hard to get him to sit still so it was hard to get the liquid on him and his hair is pretty short which makes it difficult to part it. I cut the collar off him, put the tube of liquid against his skin and squeezed the tube. A lot of it went on his hair. Then he laid on his back to play so a lot of the liquid smeared on his hair and the porch.

The next day he ate and went to clean himself and started scratching a lot and biting...I assume the fleas. A friend said I was supposed to rub the liquid in but the label said not to get it on your skin. I'm wondering if I did it wrong and if I should put another dose on him. The label says not to until 30 days, but I don't know if enough got on him. I feel sorry for him outside in the 90 degree weather and in the winter it's so cold, I'd worry constantly.

My questions are, Should I give him another dose and this time rub it in? Should I put a flea collar back on him? Should I just leave him as is until a month goes by? I just don't know what to do. I haven't had a cat in a very very long time. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you feel he did not get enough, and it sounds like he did not, then use another tube.

You can have the tube ready to squeeze, then scruff him while you stick the nose of the tube into his fur next to his skin between his shoulder blades. Sqeeze part of it, then rub it around good with the tip of the tube. Squeeze the rest, then rub that around too.

If you get any on your hands, then wash them good in soap and water.

Give it a day or two, and begin flea combing the cat.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flea collars can be very dangerous for an outside cat. They can get themselves stuck in places and the collar will not break away. It is best to use a topical treatment instead of a flea collar.

Since you used Frontline plus, I would wait at least 2 weeks before applying again.

Since you may be wanting to care for this cat, the most responsible thing to do is to be sure the cat is healthy. A vet visit is in order. You will want to see if the cat is micro chipped to see if he/she has an owner. If the cat is not owned, then you will want to be sure the cat is vaccinated and MOST IMPORTANTLY, that the cat is spayed/neutered. You do not want more kittens if the cat is female or you do not want the cat fighting and spraying if it is a non neutered male.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Papatuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your responses. A friend called her vet and gave me pretty much the same info. The cat has been in the house most of the day today. Neither mom nor I have seen him scratch once. Maybe it worked after all. I was nervous about the collar shadowrescue and for the same reasons you stated. Sarthur2, I'd be afraid to use the tube to rub it in. I wouldn't want to cut him. I'll just use my fingers and then wash them real good. The vet told my friend I should wait 2 weeks also, but I don't think I want to wait that long. On the other hand, I don't want fleas in the house. But I also don't want to make him sick. I'm thinking most of it went on his fur and since he appears to be wanting to stay in the house as opposed to outside, I guess I'll go ahead and give him the other tube in the morning. Maybe I'll just use about half of it. Thanks again to both of you for your help.