My new ball python morph, a spider ball python

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very nice.... I take it he's wobble head free? That would be the only thing I don't like about the spiders. Looks-wise, they are wonderful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Very nice.... I take it he's wobble head free? That would be the only thing I don't like about the spiders. Looks-wise, they are wonderful
The breeder I got him from is a friend of mine and he never noticed any wobble and I have yet to notice anything. Although I have decided spiders aren't quite all there, but that's what makes people love them so much! I'm just glad they don't have something deadly like the carmel kinks.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

The breeder I got him from is a friend of mine and he never noticed any wobble and I have yet to notice anything. Although I have decided spiders aren't quite all there, but that's what makes people love them so much! I'm just glad they don't have something deadly like the carmel kinks.
They may not be all there, but they sure are nice to look at.

Ironically, we're having a discussion on the caramel kinking in another forum that I belong to

Congrats on your new baby.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Beautiful snake.
I have to ask though...what do you mean by "wobble head"?
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

Beautiful snake! I'm wondering what wobble head is too.
Sorry, didn't see this till just now.

In the simplest terms wobble head is a genetic defect causing the snakes head to wobble. It has been found in the spider morphed ball pythons, and even in a snake not presenting signs, they still could have inherited the gene and pass it on to offspring.

Heres a video of one:
DISCLAIMER: don't look at the video if you don't want to see a rodent. The wobble is easily observed while the snake is eating, so the video does involve a snake that is eating. Watch his head around the 48sec. mark.

Hope that helps

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ohhh...okay.Thanks for posting.
So does this affect them anyway? Do they live less or anything?
I can't answer that with any certainty, but I do not believe so. It may affect eating in the sense that it takes them a bit longer to consume their food....... aside from that I don't know for sure. I don't play with ball pythons myself

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They may not be all there, but they sure are nice to look at.

Ironically, we're having a discussion on the caramel kinking in another forum that I belong to

Congrats on your new baby.
That's for sure! I do love opening up his tub!

Beautiful snake.
I have to ask though...what do you mean by "wobble head"?
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

Beautiful snake! I'm wondering what wobble head is too.

Ohhh...okay.Thanks for posting.
So does this affect them anyway? Do they live less or anything?

I can't answer that with any certainty, but I do not believe so. It may affect eating in the sense that it takes them a bit longer to consume their food....... aside from that I don't know for sure. I don't play with ball pythons myself
Sorry I didn't realize it had been so long since I've checked back in. It's been busy around here!

Some spiders have really bad wobble, but they live completely normal lives. In fact most spiders have an amazing eating response and are not finicky eaters. I've had no troubles with him eating and he's still just a baby. He took food three days after I got him. You're not supposed to offer food for a week, two weeks is preferable, but I just had a hunch about this guy.

He is kind of....dumb about eating. It takes him several strikes even with a frozen thawed rodent that is obviously not moving.....

Originally Posted by Sumaii

Very nice!!!!
Thank you!

I forgot to attach my website in case anyone was interested http://www.slitherinsisters.com/