My Mom passed away on Friday morning

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We received the phone call around 1:00 Friday morning that she died in her sleep. My sister and I spent the afternoon at the funeral home; we thought we had finished the arrangements a few weeks ago, but there was still a lot of paperwork to complete. While we finished up, my BIL took care of the stuff at the nursing home. We gave Mom's lift chair, wheel chair, walker, tv, clothing and other items to the nursing home, so they could be used by other patients. When we clean out her apartment, we'll take some other stuff to the home, too.

I had been in to give her her lunch on Thursday and my sister gave her her dinner Thursday night. We had talked Thursday night and we knew she was getting bad again. She'd been in and out of the hospital regularly with her lung issues....I just didn't post about everything. Those breathing treatments were getting more and more frequent and still not working out OK. I noticed that she seemed so tired on Thursday. But when the phone rang early Friday morning, I honestly thought they were going to tell me that she was going back to the hospital; I didn't expect to hear that she had passed away.

Mom has been cremated and her grave site service will be next Sunday afternoon; that will give her cousin from Florida a chance to be here, too. After the service, we three kids will be taking everybody to the same restaurant that we did for my Dad; I went in yesterday and made the reservations. We will be cleaning out her apartment during our Thanksgiving break. A lot of the furniture will be given to a young couple who could really use the items; Rick and my brother will be taking the furniture to them. The furniture is older, but is in really good shape and it makes us happy to know that somebody can use it. And the couple was thrilled, so it all works out.

I gave Muffin a big hug on Friday morning, told her that her "mama" was gone, but that she's waiting for her. And that her home will always be with us (and that she and Mollipop had to work harder to get along 
). I know, she didn't understand, but it made me feel better. Muffin is doing very well with us. I was going to take Muffin into the nursing home to see Mom last night as we usually went in every other Friday....I didn't get that chance.

Thank you for reading my posts about my mom. And thank you for all of your words and hugs. Karen, thanks so much for doing my Question of the Day yesterday. You are all just wonderful people and wonderful friends. Thanks for being here.

Rest now, Mom. I love you.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy and we are never truly ready to turn them loose. I pray that your memories will be sweet and you will be at peace. Hugs and prayers.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I know what a struggle you've been through. But you are a wonderful daughter! Please know that we are all thinking of you at this time.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of yoru beloved mother. I know she and you have been through so much these past months. Love and hugs to you and your family.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.  It is so difficult to lose a parent.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, you and your family are in my thoughts. I'm very sorry for your loss and hope it won't be difficult for you all to come to terms with it. May your mother rest in peace.:rbheart:

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, I am so sorry to hear this sad news.  You lost both parents in such a short time, you have my condolences.  What you are doing with your Mom's furniture and other things is just wonderful, you are putting everything to good use and many people will make good use of them. 

You are in my thoughts Pam and Muffin is lucky to have you.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pam, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother. I've been there recently, too, and it's so hard to deal with. God bless you and your family. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry.
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, I am so sorry! 
 You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You can never prepare yourself for something like this. Please take comfort in the fact that you did everything that you could and spent as much time with her as possible.