My mom needs prayers......

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren! Such wonderful news!

Having to wear the brace for awhile yet is OK....she's alive and she's doing well. I wish I lived closer to you; I'd go over and help your mom in her gardens. That would be fun!

And she's coming home!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh Lauren, what wonderful, wonderful news!

I am sorry she still has to wear the brace, but given the alternative, I'm sure she is also very thankful.

Continued for her complete recovery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Friends :). Vibes/prayers still needed for my mother :touch:

Haven't updated in a few months. Things for my mother are just not letting up. It has been one thing after another. She is still in the back brace. Her back is healing, but not as quickly at they had hoped. So she is stuck in the "turtle shell" till beginning of December. Five months now.

She has also been in and out of the emergency room for kidney stones and bladder infections. It has been extremely painful for her. About three days ago, she spent another night at the emergency room for another kidney stone. Came home and I had just spoke with her that day about noon to check on her after her emergency room episode from the night before and she was very, very thick tongued. Said it was the drugs and that she had to sleep now. I told her I would call in an hour to talk with dad after he returns from the pharmacy. My mom was home alone. My dad called me a couple of hours later to say an ambulance just picked up mom :shocker:. He said he returned home from the errands, and she was shaking, couldn't move, and was unresponsive. :bawling: I have some guilt because I didn't pick up on that thick tongued talking as a sign of something more serious. She has been taking pain pills and I have heard her speak like that before, but this was a bit more. How could I have not had a sense of that and called my dad immediately on his cell to get home :sobbing:. She was put into ICU for two day. MRI's, brain scans, blood test, etc. We thought she had a stroke. Found out it is her heart along with sleep apnea. That is what must have happened to her back in July, She did fall asleep at the wheel and she has a heart condition. She is home today and resting. Now she will receive the proper medication for her condition and has a great doctor (cardiologist) now.

My sister and I are just furious with the hospital in Green Bay - specifically the cardiologist. We are going to look into why she wasn't followed up and lodge a "complaint" to the hospital and doctor. When my mom was in the hospital a couple of month's ago, she did have some issues with her heart racing and and some arthymia (spelling :dk:) problems. She was put on some type of medication. But when she went to the nursing home, the medication didn't go with her :confused:. I just do not get WHY that doctor didn't follow up with my mom :mad:. Her heart condition should not have been overlooked like that :shame:. Her doctor was surprised that she didn't have a full blown cardiac arrest that day at home. SO It is another MIRACLE :jump: :woohoo: my mother survived that. Her angel's :angel: have been very busy watching over her lately.:worship:

I only pray that we are finally past some of these serious health troubles and on our way to her having life back very, very soon and some sort of "normalcy". She deserves it and I am grateful she is still with us :heart3::heart:
:thanks: Lauren

Last edited:

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that your mom continues to have health problems.
Sending my vibes and prayers her way!

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww jeez, I was hoping she was doing better. I'm so sorry to hear that she's still having trouble. My prayers and vibes are coming strong for her!!!! 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I just saw this thread tonight.  My prayers are with you and your family.  And please don't feel guilty because you didn't pick up on your mom's condition; you are dealing with a lot and sometimes it harder to see a problem with a loved one than it is with someone you don't really know.  I don't know why this is, maybe because you're so close to the situation, but I've experienced it myself as a nurse. 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read through this whole thread...

Lauren, I am SO glad your mom is recovering from her accident so quickly! :clap::clap::clap:

I really hate to sound morbid, but it is truly amazing that she survived at all, much less is thriving (almost :D) now -- a car accident and hospital stay like that would have killed a much younger person than her. She truly does sound like a fighter, and she definitely sounds like one of those people who just KNOWS that people depend on her, and isn't going to let silly little things like a major car accident, heart condition, and kidney stones slow her down a bit. :clap:

The story of Wilbur and Janielle is truly amazing. I cried. :rbheart: My mom is a home health care nurse, and I know from firsthand experience how horribly lonely places like nursing homes can be. I am 100% sure that you changed her life, permanently. :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:

And in the interest of not hijacking the thread, I PMed you about your daughter.

Many, many vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for your mom's continued recovery, and please keep us updated!!! :rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry to hear that your mother is still having difficulties. :heart2: Sending :vibes: and :hugs:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, Lauren, I am so sorry. It's heartbreaking for you, but please try not to feel guilty. Sending lots and lots of
 that your mother has turned the corner now and will do much better.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that she's still having major health problems. Many, many :vibes: for her, both that her heart problems are brought under control and that her back finally heals completely.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so very much for your prayers and vibes. I told my mom about all of you and how many people care :hugs::hugs:. She was quite emotional this morning on the phone :bawling: - of course, I did not cry ...... I let her just unload on me. It was about time that she did. It just has been all too much for her now and she just lost it. I told her that she really has been so very, very strong and stoic through ALL of this and that her life has been turned upside down since July 5, the day of the accident. I will call her again, later today. She felt much better at the end of our phone call and we were laughing about things. She was all depressed having to wear the back brace still and now diaper's. I told her that she is lucky she made it to the age of 76 and not needing diaper's before that because on some day's I feel like I need a diaper and I am twenty eight years younger than her :flail: I was trying to do or say anything to get her to laugh and feel better about her situation. THINGS WILL get better, I just know it !!!!!

:thanks: You are all wonderful friends, and my mom and I appreciate your thoughts and concerns :D :D :D :clap::clap::clap:

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only just read all of this and i am so sorry for what your mum and your family are going through.you are a great support and it must be terrible,she has been through so much she sounds like a very strong lady.xx

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Lauren.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Your attitude is just so wonderful, and I KNOW your mom really appreciates it! :heart3:

I'm so sorry she's faced more challenges, but REALLY glad the problem got figured out and straightened out. :eek: And MEGA :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: she's out of the brace and diapers soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I will say, every time I see adult diapers in the supermarket or pharmacy I always think THANK GOD that if I ever need them, they EXIST! Not having bladder control must have really SUCKED before they were so easily available!)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Lauren.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Your attitude is just so wonderful, and I KNOW your mom really appreciates it! :heart3:
I'm so sorry she's faced more challenges, but REALLY glad the problem got figured out and straightened out. :eek: And MEGA :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: she's out of the brace and diapers soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I will say, every time I see adult diapers in the supermarket or pharmacy I always think THANK GOD that if I ever need them, they EXIST! Not having bladder control must have really SUCKED before they were so easily available!)
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!! :lol3: About the "depends"..... life is funny isn't it.... You are born living in diaper's for a few years, then when you are elderly, out come the diaper's again..... Not sure that is so funny though :(. But, glad they DO exist. I also joked with mom that they should come out with decorated "depends". Some with sailboats and golf clubs for the men, and some with garden flower's and birds for the women!!! :clap::clap::clap: :flail: She thought that was hysterical. I even threw in the idea of a "thong" depend :crackup: :crackup: :flail:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!! :lol3: About the "depends"..... life is funny isn't it.... You are born living in diaper's for a few years, then when you are elderly, out come the diaper's again..... Not sure that is so funny though :(.
Well, funny or not, it's true enough! :nod:

But, glad they DO exist. I also joked with mom that they should come out with decorated "depends". Some with sailboats and golf clubs for the men, and some with garden flower's and birds for the women!!! :clap::clap::clap: :flail: She thought that was hysterical. I even threw in the idea of a "thong" depend :crackup: :crackup: :flail:
:lol3: A thong depend. :flail: Aw, I'm glad you got her laughing! :bigthumb:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been almost a year :eek: since an update and I thought that now would be important. My mother has had many health issues come to the surface since her car accident of July, 2011. I just cannot believe it. She has had multiple kidney stones and a surgery to remove them. She has had heart fibrillation issues. Has been taken by ambulance multiple times from their home to ER. Serious bladder infections from the nerves to the bladder being damaged from the car accident. She also has Interstitial Cystitis (has had that for years :(). Sleep apnea on top of all of that. AND dealing with her debilitating back pain from those broken vertebrae which have not healed properly.

My mother goes in for spinal fusion surgery on Monday, Oct. 22. They will also try to "rebuild" the vertebrae. Not sure how to describe what they plan to do. It probably will be a six hour surgery. My father has been completely drained emotionally and physically from being the caretaker of her this last year. I do try to get up there to help but we (myself, my sister and my three brothers) all agree that mom and dad need to start thinking about moving closer to family.

My mother is a very strong woman but this is just all too much for her now. She is completely overwhelmed. My mother has a very, very deep faith in God. She is a Chaplain and used to run a grief support group through her church. Her comment to me the other night on the phone made me realize how very depressed and scared she is. She said "Why has God forgotten me" :sobbing: It just brought tears to my eyes. I tried to tell her that throughout her whole life SHE has cared for others and supported others and their families through tragic situations. Well, now she is on the other end of that spectrum. SHE is the one that needs the counseling and consoling. God wants her to take care of herself now, and to use on herself what she has learned and absorbed over the years through her experiences as a Chaplain. I think it is hard for her to do that. So I am trying to help her through.

Vibes and/or prayers are greatly and kindly appreciated for her surgery on Monday. :hugs: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for mom. :heart3:

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear she's had to go through so much and of course I'm sending :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that the surgery goes well and really helps her.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been almost a year :eek: since an update and I thought that now would be important. My mother has had many health issues come to the surface since her car accident of July, 2011. I just cannot believe it. She has had multiple kidney stones and a surgery to remove them. She has had heart fibrillation issues. Has been taken by ambulance multiple times from their home to ER. Serious bladder infections from the nerves to the bladder being damaged from the car accident. She also has Interstitial Cystitis (has had that for years :(). Sleep apnea on top of all of that. AND dealing with her debilitating back pain from those broken vertebrae which have not healed properly.
My mother goes in for spinal fusion surgery on Monday, Oct. 22. They will also try to "rebuild" the vertebrae. Not sure how to describe what they plan to do. It probably will be a six hour surgery. My father has been completely drained emotionally and physically from being the caretaker of her this last year. I do try to get up there to help but we (myself, my sister and my three brothers) all agree that mom and dad need to start thinking about moving closer to family.
My mother is a very strong woman but this is just all too much for her now. She is completely overwhelmed. My mother has a very, very deep faith in God. She is a Chaplain and used to run a grief support group through her church. Her comment to me the other night on the phone made me realize how very depressed and scared she is. She said "Why has God forgotten me" :sobbing: It just brought tears to my eyes. I tried to tell her that throughout her whole life SHE has cared for others and supported others and their families through tragic situations. Well, now she is on the other end of that spectrum. SHE is the one that needs the counseling and consoling. God wants her to take care of herself now, and to use on herself what she has learned and absorbed over the years through her experiences as a Chaplain. I think it is hard for her to do that. So I am trying to help her through.
Vibes and/or prayers are greatly and kindly appreciated for her surgery on Monday. :hugs: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for mom. :heart3:
Hi Lauren,
I read some of your posts from the beginning when your mother first had the car accident. Thanks for the update. This must be extremely hard on a woman eighty years old. It is good to know she has a strong belief in God. He still answers prayers for everything, including healing. She will be in my prayers and your dad too. My husband and I once prayed for a woman well up in years who was in bed with back problems. The power of God came into the room, the woman jumped up and her back which had been bent was straight. She ran all over the little apartment which was her home and we thought we would have to open the front door so she could get outside and have room to run. God does work miracles. He healed her and she lived many years after that. We will believe for a miracle for your mother. Hugs.