My mom needs prayers......

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! I'm so glad for you that everything worked out. Your mother must have been so happy

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Praise God! I'm so glad you had a good time with your family
You deserve it after everything you've been through!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a wonderful update

I'm so glad she was able to make it home and have the pictures taken
and have a visit with her Oli, that is just so sweet!

I hope Heather takes the next step, it sounds like you guys all had the perfect day

Lots of vibes for things to continue to improve and YES I agree with Laurie, definately wanna see some of those pics

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, I could almost see a grin in your post; you must have had a wonderful weekend! Sounds as if Henry and Wilbur had a good time, too.

Continued healing for your Mom. And special coming to you--I hope your daughter realizes what she's missing.

I'm with Laurie--can't wait to see pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, if you all want to see some pictures, I will post them. yes, they are digital. I will need the help of Larry for that. I also have a bunch of new pictures of the cats, dogs and another special surprise.

I did want to share a quick story with you all regarding the nursing home, mom and my dog, Wilbur. Wilbur has (we believe) Myotonia, a muscle disease that is causing the terrible tremors and weakness. Anyway, yesterday I went to Mass with mom in the cafeteria of the nursing home. Across the room was a beautiful lady who appeared to have Cerebral Palsy. She pulled on her clothes and looked up all the time. After mass, mom says to me, "let's go and see Janielle", the lady I noticed earlier. I wheeled mom over to her. Janielle was in one of those large wheelchairs. Janielle looked at my mom and briefly at me and then up to the ceiling again. I wheeled my mom back to her room and mom said "now, go and get the dogs and bring them in". When I came into the nursing home with the dogs (they are two brother's, and are Jack Russell Terriers) I noticed that Janielle was still in the cafeteria. So I took the dogs over to see her. I kneeled down very close to her looking up at her and put Henry on my lap. Janielle looked at Henry and then pulled her clothes and looked away and up in the air. I then picked up WILBUR
and held him close the same way as Henry. Janielle looked at Wilbur and her eye popped open. She laughed and smiled and to my amazement and shock said "WHAT" (a long pause) "OH!!!!!! HE IS SO CUTE!!!!!" (another long pause) "SO CUTE". Her eyes welled up with tears and she looked away pulling on her clothes and then wiped her eyes. I took her hand and said that is was alright, and brushed the hair off of her forehead and out of her eyes. She then turned to me and laughed at Wilbur and looked at me deeply into my eyes and said..... "THANK"....... that was it just that one word. Then she was gone off into her trance or whatever it is called. At that point, I was tearing too. Later, mom, Larry, me and the dogs got permission to go to Janielle's room to visit her again with the dogs. I guess Janielle has been in that nursing home for many years and has no family, only a sister who comes rarely. When we went into her room again, she perked up at the sight of Wilbur, and shouted so loudly "OH HE IS VERY CUTE"!!!! I talked with her for some time about the dogs and she laughed and laughed and laughed. We got a picture with her too. Wilbur had his paw on her arm for the picture. It was a very special day for me and just confirmed everything I know about my dog, Wilbur. He is a gift and I have been blessed, I already knew this. But to see him reach someone in that kind of mental state was just a miracle. The staff was blown away by how Wilbur reached Janielle and brought her out of her state of being. I will never, ever, ever forget Janielle. My mom will visit her everyday in the nursing home as my mom is a Chaplain and also does Reiki. My mom has a way with people too. Just wanted to share that incredible experience with you all.

I love Wilbur so much
, he is my angel on earth

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, thank you for sharing. What an AMAZING and incredibly touching story.
It not only illustrates just how special Wilbur is (and you and your mom are!!!!), it shows how powerful animals can be in therapy and touching our hearts.

Wow, Lauren - just WOW.

Sending so many vibes to you and Wilbur!

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Lauren, this is such a positive update.

Am so glad that all went well at the family gathering and your mom was able to make it home for the photograph that she was so looking forward to. It's also nice to know that a positive dialogue has opened with your daughter. Am so so happy it was a good weekend for you, all around.

Also thanks for sharing Janielle and Wilbur's story - it is so heartwarming.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I'm so glad the reunion turned out well with everyone there!!
The story about Janielle and Wilbur is really touching too. You probably made her year with that visit.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The story of Janielle and Wilbur is proof of how therapy dogs can improve a person's life. I hope the nursing home can find someone with a therapy dog to make visits. I've worked in nursing homes and know firsthand how lonely it is for residents with no family to break up the monotony. I'm so glad, Lauren, that you made the extra effort to connect with Janielle. Wilbur may be your angel on earth, but believe me, you are Janielle's.

I can't wait to see a pic of your boys.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom is doing better bit by bit. She is still in rehab but can walk with a cane now
. Today is a big day, she is at the hospital this morning getting an x-ray on that vertebrae. The brace is making her crazy but I think she will have to wear it another month or so. The doctor appt. is at 12:15 and we will get word on her progress and if her back is healing
. AND when she might be able to go home.... Will post when I have news on that.

Lauren

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - I was just going to say it's 12:16... but I'm ET.

GREAT to hear she's walking with a cane!!!! I can "hear" the smiles!

for more good news!!!!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, sounds like your mom is progressing really well!!
I hope she's able to get the brace off soon, but no sooner than necessary. Don't want her getting hurt again before she's totally healed!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SUPER NEWS from the neuro-surgeon big wig doctor
My mom's back is healing miraculously
!!!!!!!!! She crushed her L2 vertebrae and he said it is a miracle she is not paralyzed because L1 twisted a bit too. She truly was protected by her angels
a whole bunch of them.
He said she needs to wear the brace for another six weeks. My mom was a bit disappointed about that. But I told her she better listen to the doctor and take it easy. It is only six more weeks (she has made it this far with the brace) and if she pushes to hard she won't recover and it could be longer. She asked the doctor if she would be able to garden this summer
. He said absolutely NO!!! She has some friends that will come over and help her with her gardens. I feel so sorry for those friends and they might not be friends with her after their visits.
. Anyway, she will be able to go home next Thursday or Friday after one more doctor appointment
. My brother will go up next weekend to help and then we will be going up over Labor day weekend. I already called my cat sitter and she is available. I hate to leave my cats, yet again, but they will be fine. The dogs will come with us as usual and Henry will go swimming in Lake Michigan. Maybe Wilbur will be feeling well enough to swim too
. Thanks SO much for all of your wonderful thoughts and prayers. My mom said to pass on her heartfelt thanks to all of you here on TCS. She thinks TCS is a wonderful place and she loves hearing about all of you and your cats.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

SUPER NEWS from the neuro-surgeon big wig doctor
My mom's back is healing miraculously
!!!!!!!!! She crushed her L2 vertebrae and he said it is a miracle she is not paralyzed because L1 twisted a bit too. She truly was protected by her angels
a whole bunch of them.
He said she needs to wear the brace for another six weeks. My mom was a bit disappointed about that. But I told her she better listen to the doctor and take it easy. It is only six more weeks (she has made it this far with the brace) and if she pushes to hard she won't recover and it could be longer. She asked the doctor if she would be able to garden this summer
. He said absolutely NO!!! She has some friends that will come over and help her with her gardens. I feel so sorry for those friends and they might not be friends with her after their visits.
. Anyway, she will be able to go home next Thursday or Friday after one more doctor appointment
. My brother will go up next weekend to help and then we will be going up over Labor day weekend. I already called my cat sitter and she is available. I hate to leave my cats, yet again, but they will be fine. The dogs will come with us as usual and Henry will go swimming in Lake Michigan. Maybe Wilbur will be feeling well enough to swim too
. Thanks SO much for all of your wonderful thoughts and prayers. My mom said to pass on her heartfelt thanks to all of you here on TCS. She thinks TCS is a wonderful place and she loves hearing about all of you and your cats.
SUCH good news!! I'm so happy to hear your mom is getting better and will eventually be in better spirits. (lol) I'm sure the brace is uncomfortable, but it's a small price to pay! OH, I'm So happy for you both! I hope Wilbur goes and swims in the Lake. he's such a dear little man.

So happy for ya!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news, I'm happy for your mother

Sounds like Wilbur and Henry will have another fun adventure soon