My mom needs prayers......

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lauren, I'm so sorry your folks have been having so much trouble!

My Uncle Joe went thru spinal fusion surgery a little over 2 years ago. (I seem to remember us comparing your Mom and my Uncle wearing their 'claim shells')  Recovery was quick and fairly easy and his pain was greatly diminished.  His only complaint was that he couldn't move as freely as he used to.  Everything seemed to be going really well until he got careless---tried to squat to get into a low cabinet, fell on his rear, and basically pulverized a couple of vertebra.

My advice to your Mom would be this: don't think you can go back to a "normal" routine after surgery.  She needs to let others help her, and it sounds as if that's going to be the hardest part for her.  I hope you and your siblings can convince your folks to move closer to family.  That will make it so much easier on everyone.

Sending your Mom many, many 
for a successful surgery and quick recovery.  Also sending calming vibes to your Dad and to you, dear. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Healing vibes and prayers for your mum  -  and your dad and you 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, I am holding you and your mom very close to my heart :heart3:
Sending all the vibes in the WORLD your way..... MEGA, MEGA, MEGA vibes honey :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Hang in there :hugs:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Lauren!!

I'm so sorry about your mom....she's been through so much and she's going to go through a lot more before this is all settled. I'm keeping her in my thoughts and sending lots and lots of get well
for her.

It breaks my heart for her to think that her God has forgotten about her. And I like how you explained things to her, that it's her turn now to accept all the help and care that she can. I know this is hard for your mother and I know that it's going to be difficult for you to help her,because sometimes you simply don't know what to do. It really would help your parents to move closer to you....when your mom is able to travel.

Stay strong, my friend. And I'll continue to keep your mom (and you, too, sweetie) in my thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Lauren, I'm so sorry your folks have been having so much trouble!

My Uncle Joe went thru spinal fusion surgery a little over 2 years ago. (I seem to remember us comparing your Mom and my Uncle wearing their 'claim shells')  Recovery was quick and fairly easy and his pain was greatly diminished.  His only complaint was that he couldn't move as freely as he used to.  Everything seemed to be going really well until he got careless---tried to squat to get into a low cabinet, fell on his rear, and basically pulverized a couple of vertebra.

My advice to your Mom would be this: don't think you can go back to a "normal" routine after surgery.  She needs to let others help her, and it sounds as if that's going to be the hardest part for her.  I hope you and your siblings can convince your folks to move closer to family.  That will make it so much easier on everyone.

Sending your Mom many, many :vibes: for a successful surgery and quick recovery.  Also sending calming vibes to your Dad and to you, dear.  :heart4:
Libby, yes :lol3: I remember us talking about those "turtle shells" (as my mom called it). I am going to call my mom in an hour or so and I will tell her about your Uncle Joe. :nod: I think she would appreciate knowing this. :nod: Thank you. :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Lauren!! :hugs:  :hugs:

I'm so sorry about your mom....she's been through so much and she's going to go through a lot more before this is all settled. I'm keeping her in my thoughts and sending lots and lots of get well :vibes: :vibes: for her.

It breaks my heart for her to think that her God has forgotten about her. And I like how you explained things to her, that it's her turn now to accept all the help and care that she can. I know this is hard for your mother and I know that it's going to be difficult for you to help her,because sometimes you simply don't know what to do. It really would help your parents to move closer to you....when your mom is able to travel.

Stay strong, my friend. And I'll continue to keep your mom (and you, too, sweetie) in my thoughts.

:hugs:
Thank you, Pam. :hugs: It will be very, very, very difficult to get my mom to leave her home in Door County and her gardens. Like you, she has a VERY green thumb. (don't know what happened to me, I certainly did not inherit that :lol3:) It pains her to look out her windows and see what has become of her beautiful gardens over the last year. My sister and I hired a lady to come weekly and help keep things to my mother's liking. A VERY tall order for this lady. :nod:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear she's had to go through so much and of course I'm sending :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that the surgery goes well and really helps her.
Healing vibes and prayers for your mum  -  and your dad and you :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Lauren, I am holding you and your mom very close to my heart :heart3:
Sending all the vibes in the WORLD your way..... MEGA, MEGA, MEGA vibes honey :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Hang in there :hugs:
Thank you all SO much. :hugs:

It has been hard on all of us because we are so far away. Larry and I will be driving up there next Wednesday till Sunday. My two brothers are going to be there on Monday to support mom and of course, dad. They will stay till Wednesday and then I arrive. My sister flies in on Sunday from Seattle. We have it all arranged for one of us to be there each and every day for the next three weeks. I probably will be going back again the day my sister leaves.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hugs: :hugs: GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The surgeon said that the surgery went very, very well and better than expected. Her surgery was only three and a half hours. Shorter than predicted. Tonight she is in a room and even got out of bed and sat in a chair :thud: Hard to believe that they try to get you moving so quickly after a surgery like that. She will probably be in the hospital for a few days and then the drs. will evaluate her situation. She will either go home (:cross:) OR go to the nursing home for a few days of rehab.

Today I spent the day cooking two meals to take up there with us. Dinners for my dad and hopefully for my mom if she comes home. I have a huge list of food to bring up there. I don't want my dad to worry about feeding anyone. I think my brother will still be there too. It is the one brother whom I rarely see. So looking forward to seeing him. He has just been laid off, lost his job. He and his wife and child had to move in with her parents in South Dakota. So my brother has time on his hands right now and says he is rebooting his life. SO I had to make EXTRA food to bring along with us.

Thank you for your vibes. They are very much appreciated. My mom said to tell all of you HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! :heart3: :wavey:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The surgeon said that the surgery went very, very well and better than expected. Her surgery was only three and a half hours. Shorter than predicted. Tonight she is in a room and even got out of bed and sat in a chair
Hard to believe that they try to get you moving so quickly after a surgery like that.
Thank you for your vibes. They are very much appreciated. My mom said to tell all of you HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!
After I had my quad bypass surgery, they had me up and walking within 12 hours.  They were giving me 4mg of morphine in the neck port and 10mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours at the time, so I was walking around stoned out of my mind and had to have help, but they wanted me walking.

Hello right back to your mom and tell her to get well soon.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A big HELLO! to your Mom!
 I'm so glad she made it through the operation so well, Lauren; that has to be such a big load off your mind. Have a great visit with your parents!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay for your Mom!  So glad things went well with the surgery!  A few days of rehab in a nursing home might be just what she needs, so don't let her fight it.

Hope you have a great visit with your family!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!! You ALL are so great and supportive. :lovegrin: Pam - YES, it was a HUGE relief and I slept very, very well last night. Can't wait to see her!!!!! Libby - :lol3: my mom WILL fight the rehab and just want to go home. She will listen to her doctor's though!!! :bigthumb:

I can't wait to give my mom a big giant hug :hugs: Will keep you all updated on her progress. :grphug: :wavey: