My MIL wants a Kindle or a Nook

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have the Nook Tablet and I dearly love my Nook.

My MIL wants either a Nook or a Kindle (she really doesn't care which one). But she doesn't have a computer and she has no access to wi-fi, unless she comes down to my house. She does go into the library, but she is elderly and she's starting to have trouble getting around. She is 90 years old and she is starting to walk with a cane, much to her dismay. I think she wants an e-reader, simply because she won't have to visit the library as often as she does now. She is an avid reader and when she's not cooking or baking, we can always find her with her nose in a book.

I've told her that if she waits until I get home from work, I'd gladly take her to the library and back; it's never a problem to help her. But she can be stubborn sometimes and she likes being able to go on her own, too. She and I will go to the grocery store and sometimes I take her shopping. She loves to go out to lunch/dinner, so often when Rick and I go out, we'll take her with us. She's gotten very slow, though, and it's becoming increasingly difficult for her to get around.

She does not have a smart phone; she just has a regular clam-shell phone that she's had now for several years. Rick and I gave it to her and we pay the bill....it's combined with our cell phone bill. Rick and I have our Droid X phones and we have unlimited data with our plans. She does not have unlimited anything because she doesn't use her phone that much, basically to call relatives who live around the country; her favorite nephew lives in Florida and they chat regularly. But she might use 250 minutes a month, if that. I really can't see the use in her having a smart phone because I just don't think she'd use it that much. (Of course, she could surprise me.)

Again, the only time she would have access to wi-fi is when she came down to us. Now, we could give her a Nook Tablet, I guess, and she could download library books from my computer, if it came to that. I certainly don't have a problem showing her how to do things. But frankly, I think a Tablet or Fire for her might be a waste of money.

How does a regular e-reader work? How do you download library books with a regular e-reader? Is it worth it for her? We will do whatever it takes to help her.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother bought me a Nook First Edition used online.  It has both WI-FI and 3G receivers in it so I can download books anywhere there is a cell-phone signal.   The chip I put in 16GB Micro SDHC allows me to go to several free websites and download books from them.   I mean LOTS of books.  The 16GB should carry about 40,000 books of normal length.  I only keep 800 on it to cut down on search time.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, forgot to answer your questions. A regular e-book reader uses technology called e-ink. This allows the reader to keep a page up on the screen without using any power.  It is only used when changing pages, books, or programs. My Nook has buttons on each side and also has a LCD display that when not in other use can turn the page by swiping a finger along it.

A lot of libraries have what they call e-loans where you take your reader in and borrow books on it.  My library doesn't have this service so I am kinda unsure about the process.

A MicroSD card will allow you to transfer e-books from a computer via your card reader in the computer, or through a USB wire that also charges the reader.

Oh, yes it is worth it for her.  She can change the size of the fonts if needed and can carry a whole library in the size of a paperback book.  I love paper books, but I have to admit the Nook is one of the best things my brother has bought me.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a Kindle Fire.  Didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. 

Taking books out of the library through a Kindle does require a computer and wi-fi. The website (I think that's what it's called) is called Overdrive.  Our library large as it is, only has a couple hundred titles on e-book.  And I haven't been able to get any of the "major" titles on e-book.  For example- I like the No. 1 Ladie's Detective agency series.  I could buy it (I hate paying for books LOL) for my e- reader, and I couldn't find it anywhere on their loan list.  So I had to go over to the library  and physically take out that book. 

You download the book file onto a computer- then you hook the Kindle up to the computer and transfer the file that way.  And if you want to be able to download any free books (I only have 1 blog that gives me names of free books every day, but I'm sure there's a ton of sites out there as well that give free book titles) you need wi-fi.  And in order to take books out of the library (not sure about Nook but the Kindle works this way) you have to have an Amazon account, which you get when you buy a Kindle.   

What you could do is bring her to your house, show her how to use it (setting the Kindle up on wi-fi is really quite easy) then download books onto the Kindle while she's there.

I like the idea of changing fonts.  Dh laughs at me since I've got it on the biggest font I can get LOL.  Hey- my kids keep telling me I have "old eyes"- the font makes it easier to see with them

Cheryl

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Catspaw66 and Sneakymom have pretty much covered everything. If I were you, I'd definitely get her a Nook or Kindle with 3G, so that she can download books directly without a computer. Amazon also offers free e-books which she could download from the site using 3G; you can put a (free) Kindle app on your PC, download library books or books from other sites to it, then transfer them to her Kindle via USB. The Kindle 3G + WiFi is available with a keyboard or touchscreen.

An e-book reader is great for older people because you can adjust the font size for easy reading, and the screen is easy on the eyes because it isn't backlit like the tablet. I've got 3G, and have downloaded books while traveling on high-speed trains or in a car going 90 m.p.h., plus out in the sticks in eastern Europe. The best part is that the Kindle 3G is free.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Nook 3G is also free.  B&N has 1.8 million free books listed.  Granted some of them are dreck, but I got all the classics and some popular new books for free.  My nook has a touchscreen on the bottom and the regular hard screen on top.  If you need to read in the dark or very low light, there are many clip-on book lights made for e-readers. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the information!

I think we're going to go with either the Kindle 3G or the Nook 3G; either one is good for her. I'm going to set up an account on my computer with her library card (like what I have for me) and every time we bring her to our house, she can sit at the computer and go through the library books. She doesn't have a smart phone, so I can set it up on my phone and sit with her at her house while she goes through either Amazon or B & N using my phone......my phone came with the Kindle app, so this will give me a chance to use it, I guess.

We're going to get her whichever one we decide on, plus the book cover and the light. For her, I'm leaning toward a Kindle, even though I have the Nook Tablet myself.

Thanks so much for the info!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go online and read the reviews of both before you decide. I had a choice of either one and I chose the nook based on the design and availability of third-party books.  Both of the ones I had a choice of were First Edition readers, so things may have changed.  Definitely get the cover and the light.  Everybody that sees my setup is jealous of it. My nook also has a built-in MP3 player and even has speakers - little tiny speakers that are hard to hear except in dead silence.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is not interested in anything but the book part of it, why not consider the Nook Simple Touch with the light in it.  I have the Nook Simple Touch (without the light) and I'm constantly buying batteries for the light.  You don't need WiFi to download books, but you do need a computer to hook up to.  I'm not sure about the library part either.  I got mine not quite a year ago with the thought that I would borrow library books.  However, there weren't that many ebooks and most of them were already checked out.  You  have to put them on reserve and then wait until they notify you that they are ready.  I put two on reserve and it was a couple months before I heard they were available.  By then, I'd lost ineterest in the one and already bought and read the second one.  I haven't tried it in a while, so maybe it's gotten better. 

I was just doing a comparison between the Kindle Fire and the Nook tablet, and the major differences that I could find were the Kindle you can't upgrade the memory (?) but you can the Nook.  They both work on the the Android OS, but you can't use the Adroid market for APPs.  I think Kindle has some free ones, but all the Nook ones are for a fee.   One attractive thing about the Kindle is you can subscribe to their $79 a year service, and then you can borrow books and movies like you would a library.  Also, apparently, there isn't the wait time like there is with the library books.  That might be worth looking into.

Good luck and I'm sure she will love whichever one you get her.  I never thought I would want one, but I absolutely love mine.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
If I gave her a Nook, then she and I can share books, too, since I have my Nook Tablet. She does only want it for reading; that's it. The only thing is that she does not have a computer, so the only way she could download books would be from mine (computer). Meaning she would have to specifically come to our house whenever she wanted to get some books. That could become an issue as it's getting increasingly difficult for her to get around....she is 90 years old and has started to use a cane (as well as a walker on her "bad" days). And while I have an idea of the kind of books she enjoys, I would be hard-pressed to be constantly finding books for her. She's like me; it's nothing to read several books a week. That's why the 3G would be the better bargain for her, I'm thinking. She's willing to take whatever I will buy, so I want to make sure that I'm getting the best thing for her, something that won't be a hassle at all for her to use.

As far as library books go, it took me a good month or so for my books to start coming in. I'm allowed five books on Hold at one time and I'm allowed to download five books at one time. That being said, I can always find a library book to download and read and there are five library books on my Nook at all times, even if they're not a greatest books and I always make sure I have five books on Hold, so I always have books that I'm waiting for. That way, chances are, I'll never really run out of books. It's also a good way to try new authors out, too, and I've found a few that I may not normally have read.

Plus, I've started to download a lot of the free books from B & N. You're right, catspaw66, some of them are certainly dreck, but there are some that are actually pretty good. One "book" that I downloaded was a full 22 pages long!

I'm a apps person, too, so I use my Nook for Angry Birds and several word games that I like to play. Just downloaded WordWinder last night; not a bad little game and it's a good way to waste some time. But, yes, there are very few B & N apps that are free. Still since I'm paying for them, I'm not dealing with a bunch of ads either, so I guess it evens out. When I play AB on my Droid, sometimes the ads appear right where I'm trying to aim the bird....that gets annoying quickly.

But I digress....sorry. We're still considering a 3G because of the easier way to download books, more than anything. Unfortunately, the 3G is not backlit, so she would need a light. Like I said, she'll take whatever I buy, so I want to make sure I do the right thing for her. And that's why it's such a difficult decision!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does 3G mean you don't need a computer or WI FI to download books?  I thought you needed that  no matter which reader you get.

If you got a Nook and you're sharing the account with her, and you download a book, does it show up on her Nook as well?  That might be the easiest way for her.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3G is the same service that your cell phone uses.   You do not need a computer or WI-FI to use it.  Only a cell tower within range.  Nook pays for the service, so it is free to the user.  Each nook (or kindle) has a unique address just like a cell phone.  You can lend books from one nook to another, but that requires a wi-fi connection. You can't share an account.  McDonalds usually has free wi-fi in each restaurant, and many other places have it, too.

Last edited:

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the kindle 3g keyboard. It works perfect for my house since my internet access is limited to my phone only. I can download books, buy books and what not. Off the 3g kindle and even use the browser on it. It is definately slower than what i am used to but it only takes a minute or two to download a book. The only time i have needed wifi is to download updates for the kindle itself. I just take it to mcdonalds when we go to eat....or go to eat cuz i need wifi lol and get the updates then.

Df did surprise me and bought me a kindle fire recently. He has been sneaking behind my back saving for it because ive been drooling over it since it came out. Even not having wifi at my house i use the heck out of it. Since i pick df up from work i got his wifi work password from his boss and use it to download books and apps for it. Phase 10 on it is awesome...haha I would agree though that a fire would be a waste for someone using it in the basic sense. My kindles are attached to me non stop. I use them both daily and have had to set up a charging station for them because they are charging if not in my hand. But then again im a tech junkie. I live to get new cell phones and going to best buy to play with 'toys' is a good time for me haha.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, we decided on the Nook 3G, simply because I have the Tablet and we can share.

Tyler, congrats on your Fire!

And thank you for all the information!!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we decided on the Nook 3G, simply because I have the Tablet and we can share.

Tyler, congrats on your Fire!

And thank you for all the information!!
Good for you.  I think you made the best decision in going for the nook 3G.  It is the most versatile of all readers.  I have an extension cord with a plug-in coming up in front of my headboard and just leave the nook plugged in almost all the time.  That way I can read for hours with no battery usage.  I wouldn't know what to do without my nook.  Thanks again, mrblanche.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You can lend books from one nook to another, but that requires a wi-fi connection. You can't share an account. 
That's interesting. You can put a number of Kindles or Kindle reading apps on one account. I think the limit is 5. The Nook isn't being sold in Germany yet, but you can download books from B&N using WiFi (not 3G) here if you can route through a U.S. IP address. Otherwise you have to hook it up to your PC. Apparently you have to pay so much duty on it that it's still not worthwhile getting one to use in Europe.

It might be a little bit late for B&N to get their foot in the door here, because the various versions of the Kindle are well-established, and there are a number of other e-readers. The Kindle 3G works just about everywhere.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might be a little bit late for B&N to get their foot in the door here, because the various versions of the Kindle are well-established, and there are a number of other e-readers. The Kindle 3G works just about everywhere.
Cnet just rated the nook simple touch with glowlight as the best overall e-ink reader.  The kindle was rated the best bargain reader and the best color reader under $200 was a tie between nook tablet and kindle fire.

My nook first edition has 3G that also works just about anywhere. If I want wi-fi, I just go buy some fries at McD's and use their free connection.

Last edited:

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, it definately makes sense to get her a nook.

I love kindle but im an amazon junkie. I had both kindle and the nook app on my phone and the book selection alone cemented my decision on which brand was for me. About 60-70% of the books i have bought off amazon for my kindle i was unable to find on the nook site. I will admit....i have played with a nook though and they did spark my interest.