My Mickey

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No matter how many times I have lost a cat it never gets easier. Once more I had to make the difficult decision whether to put my beloved cat, Mickey, to sleep. On 20th July 2020 it became very apparent that it was time. Having this done at home felt the best choice for my little friend who arrived on my doorstep 17 years ago. He was gone in a few minutes and I got that familiar feeling of wanting him back and knowing he won't come back. The house feels empty without him although he was a very quiet cat but he used to follow me around a lot. There is always a feeling of guilt after one of my cats passes away - "perhaps had I done this or that they would've got better (even if they were terminally ill) l", "who am I to decide" or "perhaps I shouldn't have waited so long to decide". Even after years have gone by there is always that feeling of guilt.

Naturally I'm feeling low but thankfully I have another two cats and a small Yorkshire terrier who need me and make me happy. I try not to think about the time when i have to let go of them too though.

P1020251.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a handsome little man he was! Bless your heart for having the selflessness and compassion to be able to do the hardest thing for him.

I try not to think about the time when i have to let go of them too though.
They're living in the moment with you and for you ❤

RIP Mickey, your mama loves you!

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It is never easy when we have to "play God" and decide what to do, and you are right, the grief has ahold of you and it will for awhile and make you think that there was something else you should've seen and done to prevent what happened, but there usually isn't. But we love them so much and feel 100% responsible for them and their well being that when we do have to put them down we feel that we failed them, but we do the best that we can at the time with what we have at the time and somehow we come to live with it.

Just think of it this way, what would've happened had he not chose your doorstep 17 years ago? You would've never had the pleasure of knowing and loving him for 17 years which is a very good lifetime for a cat! And one day when you see him again he will tell you "thank you" for what you did for him here on Earth, he is fine now, just fine....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry that you lost your little friend, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, you're so right, it never gets easier, and the second-guessing ourselves never seems to go away, either, does it. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad you have other little buddies to keep you company as you adjust to life without Mickey.

Rest in peace, sweet boy. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Mickey, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

It is the hardest thing we ever do, and so human to second-guess ourselves after. But Mickey knew, and Mickey knows, and Mickey blesses you for your courage in helping him pass through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure. Mickey's love for you, now purified and translated into Love, is with you still. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, I know too well your pain. all that second-guessing and guilt always accompanies grief. It will fade over time if you keep yourself involved with your other little ones. But it seems to take such a long time.
You said it was very apparent it was time. I'm sure it was. When suffering is your only future and the quality of life is gone, it is time. Seventeen years is a good, long, lifetime for a cat, it shows he was well cared for and well-loved. The bond you have formed with his tiny soul is spiritual, so eternal. No one, not even death can take that away. "Death cannot take that which never dies." He will be always as close as your thoughts and prayers. He would like nothing better than to have you continue your own life seeking life's joys and happiness. And adding on to his own love. Thus allowing him to live on through you and your connection with him Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go.
Of course, his physical presence will be missed, the hole it leaves in your home will be very noticeable. Try to rely on your precious memories to bring you comfort in those times and stay focused on the present. To dwell on something that cannot be changed just brings on more pain to a broken heart.
You are not alone. We come here to offer comfort to the inconsolable because in a way it brings comfort to ourselves. To know someone has stood in our shoes before us and have gone on with their lives helps to bring hope to a tragic situation.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Your boy is at peace because he was loved and will be remembered. As you look at the summer sky and the new star that is his own light, feel his love pouring forth and know that you were so very blessed to have had him in your life. Take care......RIP dear Mickey. you will be so very missed, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for taking your time to write such kind and comforting words. This is a great website. I also want to thank all who are cat lovers, those who have one cat or several, it feels good to know that there are some lucky cats being well looked after. Love to you all.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry on the loss of your Mickey. I had a Mickey too, avatar picture.
Also, notice my user name. My Mickey passed more than six years ago, and the pain is still there. I don't believe the pain ever truly leaves us.
Yes, quiet kitties are missed a lot. They may have been quiet, but their absence is surely felt.
Your Mickey was one lucky cat when he picked your doorstep 17 years ago.
You gave him a warm home and all the love he could ever want. He lived seventeen amazing happy years with you. Just remember, you saved him, and he will always love you for that.
RIP Precious Mickey!
Please watch over your family, and let your love shine upon their broken hearts.
Say hi to my Mickey for me. I am sure you two are friends, playing together, feeling all our love being sent your way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your lovely message. Nice coincidence that your cat was also called Mickey. I chose the name for him because when he was a kitten his ears looked huge and he jumped around like a little mouse. Compared to all the other cats and kittens I had over the years though he was still very quiet and reserved. It will take time to feel better after losing him.

i will think of our Mickey together happy and playing, what a nice thought.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for taking your time to write such kind and comforting words. This is a great website. I also want to thank all who are cat lovers, those who have one cat or several, it feels good to know that there are some lucky cats being well looked after. Love to you all.
You are a cat guardian and a kitty hero. You gave Mickey a wonderful life and then had the best kind of courage and gave him his wings of freedom. That is the hardest thing to do and shows the greatest love of all. :grouphug2:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss of your handsome Mickey. I have a Mickey too in my colony.
Feel proud and privileged by having been chosen among millions by Mickey when he showed up at your door. He felt that was the right door, the right house, and you were the person he was looking for, the person that he needed in order to have the best life he could dream of.
And you didn't fail, he wasn't disappointed.
Both of you knew you met the best friend, and when the time came, you didn't let him down and made him the last greatest and most beautiful gift you could make, the gift of leaving this world with dignity. He will be forever grateful to you for this gift and from his cloud will look over you always, till the day you will sit next to each other on the same cloud, never to part again.

RIP sweet and quiet Mickey, you knew what the true love is. How lucky you have been.