My Maryland Shrimp Salad

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this in another thread when a member asked for the recipe.
This is for all you seafood lovers like me.

Shrimp Salad Sandwiches

1 lb. cooked shrimp
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 - 2 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning, depending on how spicy you like your food
Enough mayonnaise to make the mixture moist

Remove the tails and cut shrimp into bite size pieces, not too small. Mix shrimp with the other ingredients. Refridgerate in a coverd container for several hours to let the flavors mingle. Do NOT add salt as the Old Bay seasoning is salty.
This recipe can be doubled if you have several people eating it.

This is good on any bread or rolls.

I grew up in Maryland and ate this a lot. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna make this recipe this week. But I am gonna also add some red bell pepper to it and eat it on a bed of iceberg lettuce for more veggies. Can't wait to try this. Its been a long time since I ate shrimp salad! Thanks debilla for sharing!

BTW-- have you heard of corned ham? Its a Maryland Eastern Shore specific dish you can't find anywhere else. It's really good. Just wondering if you've had any or heard about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Candybee Candybee Did you make the shrimp salad and how did you like it? I haven't heard of corned ham, but I've heard of stuffed ham that people make for the holdiays. I'll do a search for corned ham and try it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Candybee Candybee Did you make the shrimp salad and how did you like it? I haven't heard of corned ham, but I've heard of stuffed ham that people make for the holdiays. I'll do a search for corned ham and try it.
I lived in Maryland all of my life. I never heard of corned ham but I have heard of stuffed ham. I believe stuffed ham is a Southern Maryland dish.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I made it last night. I sampled it with a few bites and its really good. But I let it chill in the fridge overnight so it should be better today. Will have some for lunch! Thanks again debbila!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I lived in Maryland all of my life. I never heard of corned ham but I have heard of stuffed ham. I believe stuffed ham is a Southern Maryland dish.
My experience with it is just the one time. I was visiting a friend on the Maryland shore and she called it "Corned Ham". When she pulled out the ham I noticed it was stuffed. When I ate some I could definitely taste that is was corned. Kind of like corned beef only you do it with ham. The "stuffing" she used was a blend of herbs like rosemary and garlic cloves and other stuff I don't recall. It wasn't like turkey stuffing at all and didn't have any breading. It was more of a typical herb stuffing like you might find on a baked fish dish.

So I am guessing it could also be known as stuffed ham as she stuffed it. But it was most definitely corned and it was absolutely delish! She didn't call it stuffed, she called it Corned Ham.

She also stressed that is was only made in this one particular province of the eastern Maryland shore and no where else.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing that you would probably corn the ham first in pickling spices like you do with corned beef. Then you would take it out of the pot, dry it off, stuff it, then bake it. Since I don't have the recipe I would improvise doing it that way. I don't think you could both corn and stuff it at the same time but I could be wrong.

Anyway, it is one of those unusual dishes that really tastes unique and yummy and I can't undestand why it never caught on and became a staple. Its one of those dishes that should be a holiday or family gathering type dish. Its very special and I loved it.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I had my first bowl of shrimp salad today. I have to say after it has been sitting marinating in the fridge it is even better today than the day I made it. With the extra veggies in it, onion, celery, red bell pepper, it tastes so fresh and yummy.

I also subbed some of the mayo for sour cream to lower the fat content. 2 parts sour cream to one part mayo did the trick. No salt, no pepper. Was perfect the way it was!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My experience with it is just the one time. I was visiting a friend on the Maryland shore and she called it "Corned Ham". When she pulled out the ham I noticed it was stuffed. When I ate some I could definitely taste that is was corned. Kind of like corned beef only you do it with ham. The "stuffing" she used was a blend of herbs like rosemary and garlic cloves and other stuff I don't recall. It wasn't like turkey stuffing at all and didn't have any breading. It was more of a typical herb stuffing like you might find on a baked fish dish.

So I am guessing it could also be known as stuffed ham as she stuffed it. But it was most definitely corned and it was absolutely delish! She didn't call it stuffed, she called it Corned Ham.

She also stressed that is was only made in this one particular province of the eastern Maryland shore and no where else.
Like this? Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham: Fairmont Moments

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I had my first bowl of shrimp salad today. I have to say after it has been sitting marinating in the fridge it is even better today than the day I made it. With the extra veggies in it, onion, celery, red bell pepper, it tastes so fresh and yummy.

I also subbed some of the mayo for sour cream to lower the fat content. 2 parts sour cream to one part mayo did the trick. No salt, no pepper. Was perfect the way it was!
Can you buy Old Bay Seasoning where you live? I noticed you didn't add it to the shrimp salad. That's what makes it authentic Maryland shrimp salad.

OLD BAY® Seafood Seasoning, 6 oz - Walmart.com

Your idea of using sour cream in the shrimp salad reminded me of a convience store back home that made tuna salad with half cream cheese and half mayo. It was so good. I think I will make some like that soon.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you buy Old Bay Seasoning where you live? I noticed you didn't add it to the shrimp salad. That's what makes it authentic Maryland shrimp salad.

Your idea of using sour cream in the shrimp salad reminded me of a convience store back home that made tuna salad with half cream cheese and half mayo. It was so good. I think I will make some like that soon.
I love Old Bay. Sometimes I will got to the seafood counter at Publix (Florida based grocery store chain) and order some shrimp steamed with Old Bay. It's still hot when I get home so I add a bit of butter grab some crusty bread to dip in the juice and that's dinner. It's so good.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh yes I added the Old Bay seasoning to the salad. That was what I meant when I let the salad marinate in the fridge. The spices, juices, shrimp and veggies mingled all their flavors together. I am going to have some more today!

Wanted to thank you again for this recipe. With the veggies it made a nice addition to my recipe collection for my diet. I love to make refridgerator salads with lots of veggies as a part of my diet so I can snack on them all week long and not gain weight. That is why I subbed some of the mayo for sour cream. Cuts a lot of calories out without cutting back on taste.

My version is more veggie salad than shrimp salad:

12 oz package medium cooked shrimp
3 stalks celery
1 red bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 tbs Old Bay seasoning

I cut everything up into small pieces, mix together with the seasongs. I wanted to use a one lb bag of shrimp but it came in only a 12oz bag. Which came out just fine. But next time I would like to see if I can get a lb of shrimp.

My version makes about 6 - 1 cup servings of 160 calories each and 8.3 grams of fat. If I have a cup of salad over a bed of lettuce it makes a great low calorie meal that's high in protein.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That had to have been something they were adding to the recipe that was spoiled. Like a bad ham or bad stuffing ingredients. I can't see getting food poisoning from a stuffed corned ham unless something used was already spoiled.

Did the article say what is was that was spoiled? You know sometimes spoiled foodstuff can go out and then they get a recall. I bet it was something spoiled the cooks were using without knowing it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the stuffing became spoiled. They had a big cook out and I think the hams were left out too long.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's pretty scary! How can you leave a ham out long enough to spoil and go bad? It had to have been out way before the cookout started. That's my guess. Makes you wonder if anything else was spoiled?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty scary! How can you leave a ham out long enough to spoil and go bad? It had to have been out way before the cookout started. That's my guess. Makes you wonder if anything else was spoiled?
I remember now, they were having a church supper and it was the stuffing that was bad.

Last edited:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I added the Old Bay seasoning to the salad. That was what I meant when I let the salad marinate in the fridge. The spices, juices, shrimp and veggies mingled all their flavors together. I am going to have some more today!

Wanted to thank you again for this recipe. With the veggies it made a nice addition to my recipe collection for my diet. I love to make refridgerator salads with lots of veggies as a part of my diet so I can snack on them all week long and not gain weight. That is why I subbed some of the mayo for sour cream. Cuts a lot of calories out without cutting back on taste.

My version is more veggie salad than shrimp salad:

12 oz package medium cooked shrimp
3 stalks celery
1 red bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 tbs Old Bay seasoning

I cut everything up into small pieces, mix together with the seasongs. I wanted to use a one lb bag of shrimp but it came in only a 12oz bag. Which came out just fine. But next time I would like to see if I can get a lb of shrimp.

My version makes about 6 - 1 cup servings of 160 calories each and 8.3 grams of fat. If I have a cup of salad over a bed of lettuce it makes a great low calorie meal that's high in protein.
You're welcome Candybee. I will try your version too. The original is denser with less dressing so that it holds together on sandwhiches. I guess we could use yogurt and no mayo if we add a sweetener. Don't know if the dressing would be too thin though.

I saw this idea on a group I belong to. Sounds like a good idea for a low calorie dessert.
Freeze a can of Fruit Cocktail ( packed in juice ). Open both ends with can opener and push contents out onto plate. Slice and eat alone on with cottage cheese.
I think it might be easier to freeze in molds instead of in the can. Less messy to unmold.

P.S. You can buy shrimp by weight, loose, at the fish/seafood case in the grocery store.

Last edited: