My Male Kitten Won't Let Her Sister Eat.

ender91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm a very fresh cat owner and have adopted two siblings two weeks ago. They are 2,5 months old and I'm starting to realise that the male (Machka) won't let her sister (Katina) eat. Especially when I give them treats, or he finishes his meal too fast and than kicks her out of her bowl to eat hers. How can I teach my male cat to not to do that?
I just tried to stop him by hitting him gently with two fingers (like a paw basically) and he scratched harshly my hands. He also scratches his paws everywhere while her sister learnt not to do that, and he also won't let me touch him unless I catch him, than he's still as a statue until I release him.
Do you think this behavior is permanent or will he change once he's sterilised?
And this is their photo, the black one is Macka and the orange one Katina :)

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Machka and Katina are paws-itively adorable. :catlove:

Since Machka is a boy, he might simply need more food than Katina. And since they are still both very young, they should always have food available. So even if you primarily feed them canned food, you can always keep dry food out.

When Machka scratches, say "no", but don't there's no point even lightly tapping him, as cats don't understand physical discipline.

TCS has some articles which may have some helpful tips for some of your concerns.

The Multi-cat Household

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When you have two or more cats that eat at different speeds, it is best to feed them in separate rooms. Also since these are still growing kittens, I would make sure there is kibble available all day.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would advice 2 bowls of kitten kibble available all the time. That way it can't be guarded by one cat. When you feed them wet food, maybe lock one up in a room with water/litter for 30 minutes so she can eat in peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ender91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your warm welcome ! Great enlightements on two things, I seriously didn't know that males needed more food and that they don't get my paw education.

I'll look at the links you've sent first thing tomorrow as it's 01:00 where I live and I am already very late for bed :)

Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Machka and Katina are paws-itively adorable. :catlove:

Since Machka is a boy, he might simply need more food than Katina. And since they are still both very young, they should always have food available. So even if you primarily feed them canned food, you can always keep dry food out.

When Machka scratches, say "no", but don't there's no point even lightly tapping him, as cats don't understand physical discipline.

TCS has some articles which may have some helpful tips for some of your concerns.

The Multi-cat Household

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

ender91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried doing that, but the thing is the one without me in the room cries outside and the one in doesn't get a chance to eat because she cries too ! I put the music on to deny them hearing one anothers cry but didn't really work much haha

When you have two or more cats that eat at different speeds, it is best to feed them in separate rooms. Also since these are still growing kittens, I would make sure there is kibble available all day.

ender91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I don't have enough bowls, I got two double bowls one for water and the other for food as I don't want those tho things mixed the way biscuit does in coffee :D Tomorrow I'll get another set of bowls and put them far away, but that also doesn't really work so good because I tried giving her food on human plate far from her brother but her brother came to her plate to stop her anyway, while he had his own food in the bowl, keeping them in separate rooms isn't good either because then they start crying and none eat ! I'll just make food available 24h so eventually when he's full she might finally eat. They're gonna be so obese so soon haha

I would advice 2 bowls of kitten kibble available all the time. That way it can't be guarded by one cat. When you feed them wet food, maybe lock one up in a room with water/litter for 30 minutes so she can eat in peace.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ender91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise