My Mabel, liver cancer

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all,

For those of you who know me, you know i rarely ask for support, I'm the one usually giving it.  On wed, our dear 11 year old deaf cat Mabel, adopted on vacation 1500 miles from home last march, was diagnosed with a very rare liver/bile duct cancer called Cholangio Carcinoma via liver biopsy.  This biopsy was done while her gall bladder was being removed for an intractable gall bladder and duct infection that she's had since the end of the summer.  We had a consult with an oncologist today (thankfully we have great insurance on her (Petplan, look at www.petinsurancereview.com) and he confirmed what we suspected, her time is short, although she feels ok at the moment, just tired.

She has at most a few months, there aren't really and good treatment options, there is one type of chemo that  has at best a 10-20% chance of giving her a couple more months, a route I think we're not going to take.

We got her out of a shelter where she had lived for 2 years, a place she would have died in if we hadn't taken her.  She's the sweetest cat, super gentle, and she blossomed once we got her home, became playful and super happy, and we are going to love on her until its time, and when the time comes we will not let her suffer and we will let her go.  We will not extend her life one day to make her suffer, its all dew drops and every favorite food she loves, until we run out of time.

Thank you for letting me share this here, i know so many of you understand.  Some pics of her below.

Every cat deserves a home, even 10 year old deaf ones, so the next time you adopt a cat, consider the older ones who get passed by....

This last photo below was from the shelter.

Thanks also to @Artiemom

for all the support by PM's

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh... Stephen, Mabel is just gorgeous.. and she has guardians who have a heart as gorgeous as her.  

Just hugs.. and hugs.. and more hugs...

there is absolutely no need to thank me publicly.. After all the support and help you have given me, it is the least I can do.. but thank you...

anytime you need anything, I am here for you...

sent with love,

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry, Mabel is so beautiful, you both are so blessed to have found each other.

Was the tumor excised completely while the gall bladder was removed?  Surgical removal is often helpful to at least slow the progression.

We don't often agree on various things, StephenQ, and I'm rarely here enough for it to matter...but one thing we do agree on is adopting adult/senior pets and those with special needs.  Thank you for taking her into your heart and home, she will have the love and attention she always deserved.

Hang in there, enjoy this precious time with your precious little girl ...  (((HUGS)))

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI @cat-tech    

Cholangiocarcinoma is not resectable.. it is rampant in the bile ducts..  there was no mention of a tumor.. just diffuse cholangiocarcinoma..

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no...poor Mabel! I remember when you brought that sweet thing home. I'm so, so thankful she has the love and care of wonderful guardians to keep her close, safe and loved.

Sending lots of love to you and dear Mabel [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cholangiocarcinoma can occur in and around the liver - depending on it's structure and how well-attached, they can sometimes be removed, or a portion of the liver lobe can be removed. Not that it changes the outcome much, but it can sometimes delay progression by a short time. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm so very sorry, Mabel is so beautiful, you both are so blessed to have found each other.

Was the tumor excised completely while the gall bladder was removed?  Surgical removal is often helpful to at least slow the progression.

We don't often agree on various things, StephenQ, and I'm rarely here enough for it to matter...but one thing we do agree on is adopting adult/senior pets and those with special needs.  Thank you for taking her into your heart and home, she will have the love and attention she always deserved.

Hang in there, enjoy this precious time with your precious little girl ...  (((HUGS)))
Ha I wasn't aware that we don't always agree on things, i bet we agree more than you think.  Unfortunately this type of carcinoma  does not present as a mass initially but is more infiltrative, and its also in her lymphatic system so its being transported elsewhere and could end up anywhere, abdomen, lungs etc.  There is no surgical option in her case, and this type of cancer has no good Tx options, and is not curable.  The best chemo option has at best a 10-20% chance of increasing her life span from 1-3 months to 2-6 months but we were told not to expect the outside, so not good.  Our oncologist in a large specialty hospital in a large city sees about 2 cases a year.  Thanks for the input and agreeing on adopting senior and special needs cat.   We also have a blind from birth cat who runs the house :)

Stephen

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Cholangiocarcinoma can occur in and around the liver - depending on it's structure and how well-attached, they can sometimes be removed, or a portion of the liver lobe can be removed. Not that it changes the outcome much, but it can sometimes delay progression by a short time. 
Right but as you will see in my other post its also in the lymphatic system and she just had her gall bladder removed last week.....

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stephen, I was responding to Artiemom's - I am well aware of cholangiocarcinomas and their unfortunate prognosis, and how it originates as cells in the liver (and or bile duct system, they are considered interchangeable) - I've seen one the size of a golf ball attached to the lobe of the liver.  It too, was a rare occurrence.

Thank you for being her angel when she needs you most, my thoughts and prayers are with she and you.

teacherdl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking.  Just reading your post and seeing your sweet baby made me cry.  I'm very thankful she has had a good life while with you, and she's getting to enjoy all of her favorites! Again, I'm so sorry for you.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
((((((Stephen)))))  NOOOOOO, I mentally screamed when I read your post!  Bless your heart for all you have done for dear Mabel(and I suspect all of your kitties!!), you saved her life and I know she loves you and appreaciates all you have done.  I also know that you will treasure every single day you will have with her.  You will both be in my prayers.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, StephenQ. I also remember when you brought Mabel home. This is so sad, but you've given her a loving home for the last years of her life. No one could ask for more. Enjoy the time you have left with her.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Each and every day she has had and will have living in your care is a prelude to heaven for her. I am so deeply sorry.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking.  Just reading your post and seeing your sweet baby made me cry.  I'm very thankful she has had a good life while with you, and she's getting to enjoy all of her favorites! Again, I'm so sorry for you.
Thank you so much.  We love her and will keep her comfortable.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

((((((Stephen)))))  NOOOOOO, I mentally screamed when I read your post!  Bless your heart for all you have done for dear Mabel(and I suspect all of your kitties!!), you saved her life and I know she loves you and appreaciates all you have done.  I also know that you will treasure every single day you will have with her.  You will both be in my prayers.
Thank you so very much!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you. It is really hard knowing that time is short.Mabel is a lovely looking cat and looks a lot happier now than she did in the photo of her in the shelter. She is obviously loved. Enjoy each day with her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is devastating news
  I'm just glad you and Mabel found each other in time for her to know great love before her time comes to an end.  And I know you won't let her suffer one moment.  It's just not in you

For what it's worth, I think you definitely made the right choice in not trying to treat it.  Those aren't very good odds for just a couple more months.