My Lucky Bamboo Had A Baby!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am delighted!
I have had this plant, oh gosh, 10 years or so now. It has survived many moves with me. It doesn't do much plant wise that is very exciting as far as plants go. Very slow growth, veeeerrrrrry slow. When it puts out a new leaf it is a cause for celebration. It's OK though, I love the shape of it and wouldn't want it to grow very fast and ruin that. I love this plant, a hardy soul it is. I know it's not true bamboo, but I don't care.
I usually do a complete clean of the rocks twice a year, but realized it had been about a year now since I had done that. I did notice that it had what I thought was a big new root growing against the side of the glass for a while now.
Not a root, a baby bamboo!

Here is mom, I was wondering what I could put in the pic for scale, and well, someone helped me with that.

The strange double leaf look is the shadow against the wall.

And here is Baby Bamboo! Since Ginger jumped herself into the other pic, I though it was only fitting little Ginger show off the new little bamboolet.

Looks a bit alien, but it has been without any sunlight at all and crammed into a blue glass vase.
This is two days after the seperation, looking good, no sign of trauma so far. wheee!
Silly to get so happy about this I know, but hey, I think it's cool!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

How do you do it.
Mine is dead again after having it for 1.5 years.
I have killed at least 10 of them already.
I l
I dont think they are plants that like to be fussed over.
I do basically nothing for it, I top the water off when it gets low, dust it when it starts to look fuzzy from cat hair and well, dust, and other than the cleaning twice a year, that is it care wise.
I dont give it any special vitamins or food, It gets tap water, though the chlorine in the water has evaporated off, it gets what is left from my water glass after sitting all night.
They hate direct sunlight and mine will tell me what for if it is in the sun by turning brown at the tips of the leaves and going a bit yellow on the stem.
It goes against all thinking that a plant can live on just water and very little sunshine, but I have learned to pretty much leave it alone and keep it in the shade.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new addition!

I have some "unlucky" bamboo which I'm trying to give a good home to, but my cats have other ideas.
DH came home yesterday to find both knocked over and the wee one all chewed up.
The big one I've had a while and am trying not to fuss over. The little one I bought specifically to put in this cute little vase I got. The poor thing is now totally chomped and I'm not sure of it's future, although I will try. It looks so forlorn.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great hun, I had one years ago but it died, I love them, I never come accross them to buy one nowadays, I know my last one was from Ikea. x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Congratulations on your new addition!

I have some "unlucky" bamboo which I'm trying to give a good home to, but my cats have other ideas.
DH came home yesterday to find both knocked over and the wee one all chewed up.
The big one I've had a while and am trying not to fuss over. The little one I bought specifically to put in this cute little vase I got. The poor thing is now totally chomped and I'm not sure of it's future, although I will try. It looks so forlorn.
I am lucky in that Ginger really does not care about plants to chew them up. What you did not see in the pic though was me running to save the plant as Ginger knocked it over with a head butt! I should have saved that, it was a blurry pic of Miss Bamboo toppling over with a large bit of my hair in the frame and a supprised looking cat.
"Well you put the plant here on the table Mommy next to my water cup, what do you expect??"

You can shape those damaged leaves, it is a plant that allows that. It looks healthy aside form the chomping.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...I will trim the ends up and leave out of the reach of pesky cats, and hopefully it will survive.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cool! Congrats on the new addition!

I love plants, but unfortunately, my cats do, too, so all my plants are in my office at work. I've never tried to grow bamboo; I've seen them in stores, but have never tried one. Hmmmm, now I'm very curious!