My Little (sea)ponies!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After six LONG MONTHS of cycling our tank, we finally added seahorses today! We bought one captive-bred (CB) female and one CB male. Their true color is yellow/orange, but stressors such as changing tanks cause them to take on this blackish color.
Eventually, these guys will be named Smarty Jones and Seabiscuit, but we're waiting to decide which horse we'll name which.
Until then, here are the first pictures of the female:
http://photobucket.com
And our male:
Here he is, wrapping his tail around the tank filter:
We are two very proud parents!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooo, I love sea horses!!
they are beautiful!

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh they are soo cool! Those will be great names for them, I like it! And yes they are very pretty. Do they get any bigger?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
Nope, they shouldn't get much bigger. The colored ones are already a bit bigger than the black ones, though they are all extremely fragile.
They're been sticking pretty close together and I just took these pictures of them hanging out together, tails entwined
. Love is in the tank!

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, the black ones are very beautiful too!

Lucky you, congrats on the new little additions I think they're kinda cute

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's so cool! I've always thought seahorses were awesome.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Seabiscuit"!
very cute!
I love seahorses, they're such bizarre and wonderful animals. Just the other day I was thinking about your thread about getting some seahorses, so now I know what happened!
Is the female the smaller one?

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, the female is smaller and lighter in color (though neither of them have gone back to their original yellow colouring yet
). They are just the sweetest things- real buddies. They swim around together with their tails wrapped around each other- it is the cutest thing

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love your seahorses!! I'd always thought they were kindof rare, but I'm so glad to see that you can get them for your own aquarium!

And the names are really appealing, too!! I would have to say that, living near where Seabiscuit was filmed, hee hee.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all
. They're doing great. Bradley has been catching them fresh ghost shrimp from the march every day, which provides them both nutrients and the opportunity to hunt, which is great. They definitely do not like frozen food!

Marie, there is a very good chance that they'll mate. If the female (Seabiscuit) becomes pregnant, she transfers the eggs to the male's (Smarty Jone's) pouch, where he'll birth the freys. If we notice that our guy is with child(ren), we'll transfer him to another tank compete with aerator, filter, etc. Seahorses give birth to many, many frey at once but only few survive, even in the wild (survival of the fittest). It'd be pretty cool to raise some babies though!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, they're very pretty! I hope you're able to raise babies. Where did you get them from?

Six months to cycle! You must be very patient. That's why I stay away from saltwater. What happened that it took 6 months? Or does saltwater take longer than freshwater to cycle? My tanks always settled down after a month.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are such unique little critters Amy!
What exactly are seahorses?? are they considered fish or are they part of a crab family?

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I did'nt even know you could have sea-ponies-- I thought they would die for some reason, if you tried to take them out of the ocean
COOL!!!!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup Tracy, they're fish. This species is Hippocampus Cuda.
ChichisMom- generally, seahorses that are taken from the ocean to live in captivity do NOT do well. That is why most aquatic stores (mine included) only sell CB (Captive-Bred) seahorses. They're born in captivity and pretty much know no other way, so they can usually live longer in captivity than wild-caught seahorses would in their natural environment