My little carnivores

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I needed to share with someone how ridiculously happy I am at the moment and figured you guys on here would understand why.

I have just fed my 2 moggies a diced, raw chicken breast for the first time ever and they both happily chowed down on it and cleared their plates.
My ginger boy was super keen and my little tortie girl was a bit unsure at first, but soon got stuck in and ate all bar 2 pieces.
Interestingly, after she had finished, she came to me and was purring really loudly before I had even touched her. I am taking this as a sign that raw sits well with her. She suffers with soft stools, so maybe a BARF diet will resolve it.
This was my first test to see if they will eat raw, and it was so successful I'm encouraged to continue.

Please note that I am fully aware that just chicken breast is not a complete, balanced diet. This was just my first foray into raw.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
:woo:That’s a great start! I feed canned in the morning and homemade in the evening, and there’s a noticeable difference in their enthusiasm between the two. They inhale the homemade!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bet that will be true with my 2 also.

I have just discovered a brand here in the UK called Blink! that looks just like pure shredded chicken, my 2 inhaled it the first time I tried them on it. They definitely like real meat over processed stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Next test has been completed.

I picked up 4 chicken wing tips, 2 drumsticks, some beef and some chicken thighs.
Loki happily chowed down on his 2 wing tips and the last wing tip that Moxxi didn't eat.
While I was chopping the thighs and beef to portion out for freezing, Loki was going nuts around my feet. So I relented and served them up the beef, which was another success.

So impressed.
Loki absolutely loves chewing on the chunks, Moxxi is slower, but eventually gets through her portion. She is a slower eater in general regardless of what is in front of her and she eats smaller amounts too.

So I'm now wondering about what form of meat to use when I am ready to make homemade raw food for them.
Is chewing on chunks better for cats rather than a mush of minced meat?
Loki is so happy when he gets chunks that I'm wondering if he'll eat minced homemade.

What does everyone on here think?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve always ground my meat fairly fine, but my cats prefer a pâté-style food and aren’t thrilled with chunks unfortunately. But I have read that chunks are good for their dental health. You just need to ensure that they aren’t eating only the chunks and leaving ground-up portion with the supplements that are necessary for a balanced diet. Gizzards, if your cats will eat them, are also good for dental health because they’re fibrous.