my little abandoned friend

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been taking care of a neighborhood cat that was abandoned a few months ago.

Been trying to get her into a no kill shelter but they're full. SO i've been feeding her twice a day and bought a heated outdoor dog house type thing (made for cats with two entrances) so when it gets cold she can get warm.

She DESPERATELY needs to be brushed but she doesn't like to be held, and if i try to brush her she gets annoyed.

But she sure is a pretty girl.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!she's gorgeous!My kitties do not like a brush at all,try as I have to get them to.I finally gave up and started using my dog's comb,and they tolerate it pretty well.Might be a thought.....?Bless you for taking care of her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

OMG! She's positively stunning! How do your kitties feel about an adopted sister?!
uhhh.. they no likey at all
Wilbur perches himself at the window to the patio I go outside to pet her on. then when I come back in they both sniff my hands for like 5 minutes. Then tinker runs away with her tail sticking straight up quivering. it's quite funny how timid she is. If I'm walking across the room and she's in my path she'll BOLT around the back of the couch then come peek to see where I'm going. Wilbur isn't as bad, but when the doorbell rings they both run full speed to my bed and go under it. Sometimes staying there hours after the person leaves.

Originally Posted by lizzie

Oh my!she's gorgeous!My kitties do not like a brush at all,try as I have to get them to.I finally gave up and started using my dog's comb,and they tolerate it pretty well.Might be a thought.....?Bless you for taking care of her!
Wilbur loves to be brushed now, After being persistent I finally got him to accept it. But it doesn't last long. So i hurry
. I brush him twice a day to keep his horrible shedding in check.

Originally Posted by eilcon

Wow! She's gorgeous!
Thank you for taking care of her.
It's no problem believe me. I've done foster care for awhile. It's such a rewarding feeling.

Cats are awesome.
What's nice is that I have surveilance cameras in front and back and the monitor sits on my desk. I can see when she's out front and I run out to pet her.

If I miss her, i go to the end of the driveway and call her. She'll turn around and run FULL SPEED to me. it's awesome. And her meow motor is broken. she meows with a wide mouth but just little tiny squeaks come out.

I wish i had the capacity to take her in. But I just don't. I'd love to own this little girl and give her a good life.

I know she's an abandoned cat for a couple reasons.

when I come out with 2 cans of cat food and she sees them, she trots over to the food bowls I have out for her. She did it almost immediately when I started feeding her.

and frequently she'll walk over to the front door and start rubbing on it. then sits down and look at me squeaking again. It's a heartbreaker.

I also know that she's been on her own for awhile. She's been "TNR"d before because there's a clip taken out of her ear which obviously is how they mark when they fix ferals.

She doesn't seem to be lonely. I don't ever leave her until she moves away from me and sits down. but I can tell she enjoys just the presence of me being there.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat. I hope she finds a good home soon

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey while I'm ramblilng. What kind of cat is she? she's got that beautiful mane that is so cool

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She's gorgeous, and looks like a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat. It's a shame she won't let you brush her. She has a beautiful coat.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh she really is beautiful. I'm glad she found you to look after her, even if you can't take her in.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, she is such a beauty! Sounds super sweet too. I'm glad you're able to take care of her, even if you can't bring her inside.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is really beautiful. I'm so glad you are caring for her. Does she have adequate shelter for the winter?

Cats who don't like to be groomed by humans can be desensitized to it in time. A Zoom Groom is a good tool, used gently, to start that process. Then a good comb (I use a Chris Christensen comb) can do the job well, eventually. But if there are mats, she will need those to be addressed, maybe by a professional groomer, before she can learn to stand maintenance grooming.

All my cats (including the DSH ones who don't need it) come running if I start grooming any of my cats with the comb, kitten slicker brush (extra soft and small), or, especially the Zoom Groom. It's pretty funny. They all rush to me and I have to do 10 strokes here, then 10 strokes there, now you get 10 strokes . . .

And some of them didn't like any grooming tools at all at first. If a cat likes to be petted, I think they can learn to at least tolerate adequate grooming. But it takes time, patience, gentleness (and slowness in stroking), and doing it in short doses, at first.

Good luck.

Robin

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pretty! Someday, many many years from now, my next cat will hopefully be a long-haired cream colored cat.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor baby.....I'm so glad she has you to care for her. I hope she'll let your start combing her soon. She's really a beautiful little girl.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just an absolutely beautiful and elegant looking kitty. Happy that you are there to take care of her. I hope you find a "forever" home for her.

sflacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She really is a beauty.With time she will only grow closer to you.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh she is. She lets me hold her for a little bit now. not long, but maybe a minute. While I sdcratch her neck with both hands (hostage).

Here's a couple pics I got today. Wish she'd open those eyes