My kitty is very sneaky

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I should post it here. But my cat doesn't like his medicine 😅
He is diagnosed with allergies (I don't know what is he is allergic too) and he has take his medicine once again after the two weeks he was on. Since his allergies came back.
To make sure he take his medicine I crashed very fine and tosses with his dried food ( He eats pro-purina for his sensible stomach)
The thing is that sometimes he takes his food out of his bowl.
So I change his bowl to flat and one much bigger one. He didn't like those. On the flat one he would also take his food out.
I just realized ( after many months) he takes his food out to clean it the medicine out.
The little carpet his food bowls is . It was full of his medicine.
Maybe I should give him with those pill pockets but I am not sure if that going to affect his stomach.
If anyone has that kind of issue 😅
sk6u4j.jpg
-ngexe5.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he allows you to handle him the simplest alternative is to tilt his head back and drop the pill at the back of his mouth. Or you can try hiding it in a bit of wet food or the pill pocket. That little bit of food shouldn’t affect his stomach.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What medicine is he on, and for what type of allergy is it trying to treat, since you don't know what he is actually allergic to? Besides that, if a med can be sprinkled on his food safely, then there shouldn't be any reason why there would be a particular issue with giving it to him in a pill pocket, if he will eat it that way. Why do you think it could affect his stomach?

There are numerous members on this site who deal with trying to give their cats meds. Pill pockets, pill maskers, and even lickable treats are some ways to try to do it. Others find success with tuna. There are also small capsules to place the meds in, cover them with a lickable treat on a rough surface and see it the cat will eat it all at once, although that has never worked for me. Some even resort to pill shooters, chased with some water to ensure the pill goes down appropriately. You can also compound most meds into flavored pills or liquids, sometimes even transdermal gels that are rubbed into the inside of a cat's ear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The doctor wasn't sure what he is allergic because that would require more tests and I didn't have the money. The x-ray showed a white thing covering his lungs. He was prescribed with PrednisOLONE 5MG.

For his sensitive stomach ( which it give him diarrhea for almost two months ) I kinda came to the conclusion it was seafood food ( can food) I stopped giving him any that have seafood/ fish.

Pile pockets might a little helpful if it doesn't bother him ( I am kinda scared to give him anything new since last time he was sick) And my mornings are very rushes since I work very early and I live by myself.
I even try to change the type of litter ( I use clay litter) But he almost never used the paper litter and even try to eat it. Besides that, he only used only 2 or 3 times from October to January.
IMG_20230124_160025597.jpg
IMG-20230124-WA0005.jpeg

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was also thinking to give him the same type of food with the crushed medicine but can food instead. Maybe that way he won't see it all .
Or the pill pocket.
I am going to try both things to see which one is better for him. Or which he likes better.
When my grandma was here she would help me with his medicine but doing by myself it is kinda hard 😣
IMG_20230115_170650002.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Prednisolone is a form of steroid, often used to see if it can stop an allergy of unknown cause. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. By the way, Prednisolone can cause diarrhea in some cats. Some pill pockets, pill maskers and even lickable treats don't all have fish in them. But it is a good idea to try the canned version of what he is eating in the dry version if that doesn't cause him any issues.

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!!!
After my trials and errors.
He finally eating his meds without a problem 😊
The wet can food only worked for a day and then he realized what was happening 🙄
I put his dried food on top on it and he used his paw to take out ( the same thing happened with the treat I put on top it)
But I tried the pill pocket and he ate it without any hesitation.
I was so shocked it was that simple. I did cut the pill in two so he can chew better but it is working just fine.
received_1234047700521633.jpeg