My kitty is sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any updates today? Is she eating at all? Still more alert, etc? Hoping she is turning the corner for the better..
She is eating some but not enough, so I am syringe feeding her every 3-4 hours by mouth only about 5ml of food and 5ml of pedialyte or water. I will increase to 8 ml tomorrow, she licks a little bit of the gravy from fancy feast gravy lovers food but doesn't eat the rest of it. She is alert more during the day but not so much past 5pm. She still has not gone poop yet and only pee's once a day. I hope each day will get better but time will tell. Thank your concern :)

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please please please take her to another vet
And Im sorry this vet mishandled her so much, she shouldnt have had her feeding tube taken out...
Let her have temptation treats and whatever other treats she will eat

have you tried getting those lickable treats from delectables?
if shes licking up gravy maybe that will help. They make a soft pate, bisque, stews... anything!
She probably has perked up due to getting the subq fluids but they need to be administered regularly.

can you ask for mirtazepine oral pill? Cut it up with a pill cutter into fourths and give her 1/4th daily?
My cat tried the ear version and it didnt work as well as the oral pill.
I hope she turns around, and pleaseeee new vet

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please please please take her to another vet
And Im sorry this vet mishandled her so much, she shouldnt have had her feeding tube taken out...
Let her have temptation treats and whatever other treats she will eat

have you tried getting those lickable treats from delectables?
if shes licking up gravy maybe that will help. They make a soft pate, bisque, stews... anything!
She probably has perked up due to getting the subq fluids but they need to be administered regularly.

can you ask for mirtazepine oral pill? Cut it up with a pill cutter into fourths and give her 1/4th daily?
My cat tried the ear version and it didnt work as well as the oral pill.
I hope she turns around, and pleaseeee new vet
And Cerenia. Don't stimulate her appetite without also taking care of nausea.

As long as Kesi is tolerating syringe feedings, keep doing those. She needs nutrition as well as hydration. Those syringe feedings will be worth so much more than a handful of treats. But yes, if you can tempt her with Fancy Feast, Friskies, or any of those bisque/mousse foods, that's better than nothing. It's always better to feast at McDonald's than to starve in Whole Foods. But I would prefer you try to stick to nutritionally complete and balanced cat foods, those with the AAFCO statement on them rather than "for intermittent or supplemental feeding only." Because if she's only going to get so many calories a day into her, make them count. Krista really liked Tiki Cat, the tuna flavors, when she wouldn't eat anything else (pancreatitis, tooth pain, etc.) It was often a bridge food to get her to an appointment or through a rough patch.

I'm happy to hear she's still making progress. Please keep the updates coming.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear you are now having to syringe feed her without the tube, but at least she is tolerating it well. And I'm guessing you are still doing that with the A/D, which is good. If she will eat a little bit on her own, that's always good, so it reminds her how to do it and lets you know she has a slight interest in it, which is a good sign.

I think you said the Vet gave you some liver supplements,right? So many things have been going on with Kesi that I can't remember what actually happens and what "might" happen. But she still has the appointment with the other Vet, correct? Even though it's at the end of next week. And I guess you are going to slowly increase the amount you are syringe feeding her until that time?

No poop since when? She hasn't taken in much food in a very long time so I wouldn't expect much, but would expect some. It's possible too, that she went at the Vet's office, since I think she was there for awhile, yes?

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear you are now having to syringe feed her without the tube, but at least she is tolerating it well. And I'm guessing you are still doing that with the A/D, which is good. If she will eat a little bit on her own, that's always good, so it reminds her how to do it and lets you know she has a slight interest in it, which is a good sign.

I think you said the Vet gave you some liver supplements,right? So many things have been going on with Kesi that I can't remember what actually happens and what "might" happen. But she still has the appointment with the other Vet, correct? Even though it's at the end of next week. And I guess you are going to slowly increase the amount you are syringe feeding her until that time?

No poop since when? She hasn't taken in much food in a very long time so I wouldn't expect much, but would expect some. It's possible too, that she went at the Vet's office, since I think she was there for awhile, yes?
Yes am feeding her A/D only about 8ml at a time every 3 hours, however today she did eat some fancy feast, it wasn't a lot but a lot for her since she hasn't really eaten on her own for over 2 weeks. The vet gave me Denamarin for liver supplement, I have been putting that in her A/D food. She does have a vet appt at the end of this coming week. Nope she hasn't pooped Since Oct 7th. We have been at the vet with Kesi nearly everyday since Oct 9th except for 2 days. I can't wait for her to see a new vet and possibly get a different answer as to what is REALLY going on with her.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes am feeding her A/D only about 8ml at a time every 3 hours, however today she did eat some fancy feast, it wasn't a lot but a lot for her since she hasn't really eaten on her own for over 2 weeks. The vet gave me Denamarin for liver supplement, I have been putting that in her A/D food. She does have a vet appt at the end of this coming week. Nope she hasn't pooped Since Oct 7th. We have been at the vet with Kesi nearly everyday since Oct 9th except for 2 days. I can't wait for her to see a new vet and possibly get a different answer as to what is REALLY going on with her.
Wow, @lilnana- I am stressed both for you and your kitty reading this. You are getting some really great advice here - thank God for these knowledgeable cat lovers.

In July 2000 I lost my Orfie, I am certain what finally did him in was fatty liver. I'm sure it was known about then, but my vet never mentioned it. Orf had stopped eating, due to an infection we never got diagnosed, they tried valium for appetite stimulant, and he lived at the vet on iv's for weeks. They kept trying to get him to eat canned food - NEVER was syringe feeding or tube feeding mentioned to me. Naturally, after 5 weeks, I lost him. I never heard of fatty liver until I joined this site in 2008.

I am sending continued get better vibes for you and your kitty... ❤

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eating on her own, even just a little bit of Fancy Feast of super! But no pooping since Oct. 7th is worrisome, to say the least. And you're certain no poop while she was visiting the Vet? I know she hasn't taken in much, and I know they checked her for a blockage, but, WOW. Of course, she has been dehydrated every time she has been seen, and that causes constipation :frown: During any of those almost daily visits, did they mention she might be constipated? Is she drinking any on her own yet? Are you syringing in extra liquid into her if she isn't?

Wish I knew for sure if that was the problem, as I could offer solutions if I did. BUT, with all this going on, I'm afraid to. daftcat75 daftcat75 , what do you think about this no poop since Oct. 7th?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating on her own, even just a little bit of Fancy Feast of super! But no pooping since Oct. 7th is worrisome, to say the least. And you're certain no poop while she was visiting the Vet? I know she hasn't taken in much, and I know they checked her for a blockage, but, WOW. Of course, she has been dehydrated every time she has been seen, and that causes constipation :frown: During any of those almost daily visits, did they mention she might be constipated? Is she drinking any on her own yet? Are you syringing in extra liquid into her if she isn't?

Wish I knew for sure if that was the problem, as I could offer solutions if I did. BUT, with all this going on, I'm afraid to. daftcat75 daftcat75 , what do you think about this no poop since Oct. 7th?
She has to eat to poop. Poop needs both bulk and moisture. If she's not eating much, then there's no bulk and little moisture. And what little poop there is gets dried out because that's what the colon does. See if she'll eat a pumpkin-based food or maybe syringe a little pumpkin puree into her. Tiki Cat makes both a pet-safe (no sugar or spices) pumpkin puree and several flavors of food with pumpkin added. Maybe call the vet's office you're seeing Friday (not the one who removed the tube too early!) and see what they think. It may sort itself out when enough back log has built up to signal the "gotta poop" mechanism.

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eating on her own, even just a little bit of Fancy Feast of super! But no pooping since Oct. 7th is worrisome, to say the least. And y ou're certain no poop while she was visiting the Vet? I know she hasn't taken in much, and I know they checked her for a blockage, but, WOW. Of course, she has been dehydrated every time she has been seen, and that causes constipation :frown: During any of those almost daily visits, did they mention she might be constipated? Is she drinking any on her own yet? Are you syringing in extra liquid into her if she isn't?

Here is update as of today Monday 10/19/2020. YAY! she pooped overnight last night, and let me just say it was a LOT of poop. She also has eaten much more today as well. I have continued to syringe feed her the A/D food and give her water in addition to this with syringe as well. She sure doesn't appreciate the syringe feedings but I tell her I am only doing it to save her life and to keep her in the going in the right direction. I still have the appt on Friday with the new vet just to get her a over all check up if anything.. it can't hurt even if she is getting better. She get's her staples out of her tummy from the exploratory surgery on Thursday but I am just going to have the new vet do it, that way they can get a good look at her at the same time.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay! Great news in the poop department, AND in the eating department. Keep doing what you are doing, making sure she gets plenty of hydration along the way. Pediatite is still fine to give as long as she is still in this condition of not eating or drinking enough. Are you using that to dilute her syringe feedings? Or of course, the KMR is stlll a good choice for too.

So, in general how do you feel she's doing at this point?

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay! Great news in the poop department, AND in the eating department. Keep doing what you are doing, making sure she gets plenty of hydration along the way. Pediatite is still fine to give as long as she is still in this condition of not eating or drinking enough. Are you using that to dilute her syringe feedings? Or of course, the KMR is stlll a good choice for too.

So, in general how do you feel she's doing at this point?
I feel she is doing well, although still has a ways until she is back to herself again. I give her pedialyte every other feeding, she has started drinking water on her own which is encouraging.

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to include a picture of Kesi, this was taken today, she was actually just laying around in the living room today which was nice to see her out from the bedroom, where she has been hiding out.
Kesi Oct 2020.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Again, so glad she is not only eating some, but also drinking. AND, she looks pretty good. Coat looks good, which is also a good sign. I'm very anxious to hear what the new Vet says, although I doubt very seriously that they will be able to tell you what caused her to stop eating in the first place, but maybe :dunno:.

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any updates?
Hi, yes sorry forgot to post update. Took Kesi to see the new vet and I just loved this vet, sure wish I had taken her to this one to begin with. He looked over the records from the other vet and was very very shocked that they did in fact remove her feeding tube way to soon, matter of fact she should still have it in, she is still very anorexic and needs the continued A/D food. He said since she doesn't have the feeding tube in and even though she is eating "some" food on her own, he would like me to continue to syringe feed her the A/D food twice daily for 10 more days. He is encouraged that she has her appetite back and is very alert and appears well hydrated at the moment, he wants me to set out multiple water bowls around the house to encourage her to drink more. I asked him about running any more test's to find out why she got sick in the first place, and he said that wasn't necessary since she is feeling better now and the focus now is to get her to gain weight. He would like to see her back in 2 weeks to get weight on her and check her over again. She of course is not happy that I am syringe feeding her still but I am doing everything I can to get her weight up and for her to be healthy again,

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much does he want you to feed her on those syringe feedings? Did he advise else to try to put some weight on her? Some folks say if you feed them on a large flat plate (even a paper plate), they tend to eat more. I've never tried it, but maybe I should.

Keep us posted as the days progress.

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any updates?
Kesi is doing so much better, she happy and back playing outside again. She is an indoor/outdoor kitty. She is slowly gaining weight back again. I am still syringe feeding her twice a day as well as her eating on her own :)
Thank you all so much for your care and concern and support of Kesi and myself during the past few weeks. :thanks:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kesi is doing so much better, she happy and back playing outside again. She is an indoor/outdoor kitty. She is slowly gaining weight back again. I am still syringe feeding her twice a day as well as her eating on her own :)
Thank you all so much for your care and concern and support of Kesi and myself during the past few weeks. :thanks:
So happy to hear this! I admit I didn’t have much hope when the feeding tube was removed so soon after placement. It’s a testament to the care you’re giving her. And just how tough cats are. More pictures, please!