My kitty is Howling

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi all,

It has been awhile since I have posted, update .. My kitty Minca is 14 years old, she had surgery the day before valentines, 13th  in 2013 , this was for her mammary glad removal cancer. we were so glad we did this, and gave her a chance,  and she is doing fine with it..

Now there seams to be another issue, that concerns me, she has been doing this howling, and kinda of seams a little lost, not being herself, sleeping more for sure, and being up all night.

not playing as much, she sleeps with me  naptimes a lot on weekends,  would come too bed when I say lets go nigh nigh..

well the wife figured we would do a little test, she thinks it is because our kitty cannot sleep with me.(just us 2) yikes... . so she slept on the couch.. we made min's bed next to me,, and guess what, she slept with me most of the night no howling..

now we tried it again the next night same thing.. ok alright.. but after that right back to the howling, and she sometimes does it. while I am up.. right in front of me,

I am thinking is she in some kind of pain.. what the heck is this.. so I called my vet, and they are the best, the secretary knows as much as the vet.. well almost..

she said it sounds like Min maybe  getting senile, and she is like lost,, whoa.. cats get that too.. wow.. I guess why not..

anyway   she has been eating, peeing and #2 ok.. peeing is maybe 4 times a day or so..

oh the vet mentioned this like comfort treats? I wrote it down  who makes them, and of course lost it..

so anyway she is 14  and kinda lost interest in everything..  any suggestions?   or has your cat gone though this..or is.   she also mentioned maybe her thyroid?

the other night too, she ran through the house 100mph  jumped up on the bed and down  sat jumped, and kept looking  like what!!! 

her weight is good, and eating and all the other normal cats health stuff... thanks for any help.. probably going to go to the vet  soon..

this has been going on for about 6 weeks or so..    hope all this makes sense   I suck at typing and explaining stuff, at work I never get any replies..

gee wonder why.. thanks for reading this mess   Minca's daddy..

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The calming treats I use are called Composure calming treats and Pet Naturals calming treats. They really help with late night yowls.

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be anxiety related. After my cat came back from spending 2 weeks at the vet due to a urinary blockage he came home a mess. His tail hung down, he paced non stop from one end of  the house to other and at night he would howl. After a year and a half, he was still howling at night. It's only been the last 3 months or so that he has stopped howling. I started to give him a calming pill called Zylkene. It's milk based and natural. I actually gave it to him primarily in the hopes that it would stop his spraying, but it hasn't worked. He has stopped howling though. I just took him off of it two days ago, as my boyfriend thinks it's a waste of money if he's still spraying. But if I notice him excessively pacing again and howling at all then I'll put him back on it.

Feliway is also supposed to help calm anxious cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok thanks  I will try them, sounds like they work.