My kitty has lost her fur

teresa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has lost her fur on her hind quarters. She has had a rash on her face for quite some time but we moved last January and during that time she lost the fur on her hind quarters....has anyone ever heard of this?? My vet thinks it is just food allergies but I have purchased expensive brands...I have tried everything even Science Diet and Pro Plan. Nothing seems to help. She scratches alot also until she bleeds. I have tried changing foods and feeding dishes also.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teresa,

I have a Turkish Angora Wannabe who had ringworm when she was a kitten. It took 3 months to get rid of it. She is now 3 and is having problems with the fur and crusting on her ears. The vet took a culture and determined it was not earmites but could possibly be a food allergy. I had gone from Science Diet to another brand when she began having this problem. The vet wanted me to put her on this VERY expensive food that costs $16 for a 4 pound bag that lasts one week!!! After 4 weeks and $64 later I said enough of this. I put her back on Science Diet and her ears have little or no crust. I have been wiping the crust off with anti-bacterial wipes (Lever 2000 that I got at the grocery store) and it seems to be doing the trick. But she still has fur missing from her ears. Other than that, she's okay.

Did he check her for ringworm? Ask him also if Science Diet Sensitive Skin will work. Good luck. I know how difficult and frustrating it is when you don't have an answer.

Keep us posted.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the vet has ruled out ringworm or mange they may be on the right track. There are quite a few things that cause it. What you describe does sound like an allergy. It has nothing to so with the quality of food. It may be the ingredient in it. It could be chicken,yeast,salt..etc. They reason they put cats and dogs on EXPENSIVE food is because it does not contain anything that may cause an allergy. If it clears up after about 6 weeks of NOTHING but that food, you start adding ingrendients one at a time. The culprit will cause a reaction right away. If you have more than 1 cat...yes it would be expensive to feed the food and so you would put that particular cat into a room for the 6 weeks. Then you can get to the root of the problem. If that has been ruled out then you would go to the next possible explantion.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone explored the possibility it may be an allergic reaction to fleas? If a pet develops that reaction even one flea will send them into the reactions you describe. Just a thought.

Pete