my kitty has long foot hair. should i be worried?

girlmichael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black 6 month old cat. He has pretty long hair. I've noticed that his foot hair is getting longer and longer. there are sometimes when hes walking through our kitchen he slips and slides. Should I take him to get it trimmed or should I try trimming it myself or should I just leave it alone? he is also strictly and indoor kitty (we live by a super busy street and have a pretty bad coyote problem)

thank you (new here btw... hope I'm doing this right)

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two long furred boys that grow hair there too. I also find that they slip and slide on the wood floors if I don't keep it trimmed. I purchased a pair of blunt hair trimming scissors from Amazon. I trim the fur every other nail trim.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Welcome to TCS! Such a cutie paw you have there ❤ I assume he is the one in your avatar and he does look pawsitively handsome! ❤❤
My Bourbon’s paws are same like your kitty’s. I trim it once in a while. Not too much though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

girlmichael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you everyone for responding! me and my furry little angel appreciate all your advice 🐾

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he were an outdoor cat he would wear the hair down by just running around. I take Manny outside for a walk every evening and his stays worn down just from that. It's optional on trimming it. Totally up to you. I've had cats that actually seemed to like skating around on the linoleum floor and done it on purpose.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome! I know that foot hair looks strange, and I thought so also. But I think it’s just the breed genes slipping in there. I now think it’s really cute and part of what we love about our feline friends 🐱💕

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
thank you everyone for responding! me and my furry little angel appreciate all your advice 🐾
Your furry little friend as you referred to him is adorable. :bigeyes: As other members have said, perfectly normal. When the fur around our cat's paws gets too long I prefer to trim it myself but that's entirely up to you. I saw his pic in the Fur Pictures & Videos Only thread, thank you for adopting him.😻

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is some very impressive toe furnishing!
Both of our cats are long haired with furry feet but this puts ours to shame. And yes it's very normal.
If you are comfortable doing it, I'd trim those long pieces back a bit with a scissor since he's sliding around so much.Our kitten slips around a lot too and her toe fluff isn't nearly quite as long so I can't even imagine how much skidding around he must be doing!