My Kitty Has Gone Mad...

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female who is about 2. She was spayed young, about 6 months. She has always been a joy and no issues at all. Well, suddenly, last night, she went psycho. She is attacking our males. When she sees one of them she lets out a loud scream, puffs up, and attacks them. This is all unprovoked. My poor older male peed on the floor he was so scared. When they run to hide from her, she appears to hunt them. She is not doing this to our other female cat. All cats are fixed and have been for years. She otherwise is acting her normal self. I have never seen anything like this. Anyone have any ideas on what the heck could be going on?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes things go wrong in a cat relationship. You might never know the trigger event. It could be something as simple as an accidental nail getting caught in one's fur. For cats in general, common causes include "redirected aggression" which is when something scares a cat when the other cat is merely nearby, and "non-recognition" aggression when one smells a bit different after a separation, for example, commonly this happens when one cat comes back from the vet or groomer.

Fortunately, it doesn't really matter what caused it. The remedy for all of these things is pretty much the same. It starts with a separation -- usually short, unless they actually fought and hurt each other. Then it needs to be longer. If the initial separation doesn't work, one can try longer -- several days or even a week or longer. If a separation doesn't work, you may need a full structured reintroduction process.

Since yours actually fought I think, and one cat is scared enough to pee inappropriately, I'd start with a separation of at least 3 days and maybe longer, and then make sure they dont fight when you take the temperature after that.

There is one special case where what started this might matter. That is if the two year old is grumpy because she is sick or injured. Keep alert for that possibility, but its not super common compared to the other causes, especially for a 2 year old. More common if she is indoor/outdoor and could have a wound you missed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is really no behavior from a cat that is 'unprovoked' - in one manner or another. Can you tell us more about what is going on in your household? Some cats react to outside 'input' that other cats do not - perhaps you have some new cats/other animals outdoors that she is reacting to?

Could she be ill, or one of the other cats are ill and she is reacting to scent changes? Are all the cats together, meaning that she can attack the males while the other female sits nearby?

Until you can gather more information and research the circumstances, she probably should be separated from the males. If she is isolated with the other female that might give you some other clues to work with as well.
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is nothing new in the home. No new animals. No changes. I am not aware of any other incident, but then again, we aren't monitoring 24x7. She otherwise is acting herself and is not doing this to the other female in any way. She ignores the other female in the home. I do not expect illness, but she is going to the vet. I brought my older male out of the basement tonight and he jumped down. She was immediately on him and chased him under the couch before I could grab her. Got my two males out of the basement so we could put her down there. My older male already has medical issues and I don't want him stressed either. What is interesting is just Monday she was curled up sleeping with him. So they are separated until Friday when she sees the vet and maybe we can see what is going on. I do wonder if she had some ovarian tissue left. She was fixed very young, but it was by a vet that only does spay and neuter. That is literally all she does in her practice. I just have not seen an animal change this quickly before. I did know a cat that had a brain tumor once that was attacking like this. Guess we will see what the vet says. She is prone to ear infections, but usually the dog lets us know that - he licks her ear. However, doubtful she would target just the males. Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. If only they could talk!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did one of your other cats recently go to the vet? I thought you mentioned your older cat did. If so, that can trigger this type of thing. Cats are very sensitive creatures. Good that you are taking her to the vet. I think you should take the other cats in their own carriers as well so that everyone goes home smelling the same. This may not be possible as I don't know how your older cat is doing.

Him urinating when she attacked him is not good at all as I am sure you know. She needs to be completely separated from the other cats. If you have a bedroom that would be best. She still needs attention from you, but no general population with the other cats. Every time there is an incident with her getting upset, you set yourself back to the beginning and it gets harder to get things back to normal again. Think of it as every bad interaction damages their relationship. Then the cats have to mentally heal from the experience and start over. So, don't rush this. She needs to be alone and not near other cats until things settle down. Then you need to start reintroducing with scent swapping. There are good articles in this site to look up that will go into detail.

Remember, cats think like cats, not people. She isn't being mean; she is just as stressed as the cat that is getting beat up.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Have no advice but please do tell us what vet says. Other thoughts: thyroid or hormonal change? Agree w others though it must be a scent thing.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your doing the right thing by separating the cats, you have to jump on new aggressive behavior before it develops further. As others have mentioned pain is high on the list of suspects. Some spayed cats go crazy if there’s anything with estrogen or progesterone in the house.

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your doing the right thing by separating the cats, you have to jump on new aggressive behavior before it develops further. As others have mentioned pain is high on the list of suspects. Some spayed cats go crazy if there’s anything with estrogen or progesterone in the house.
She is acting more normal tonight, but definitely getting her to the vet. I am really wondering if some has some tissue remaining still releasing hormones...we will see.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, suddenly, last night, she went psycho. She is attacking our males.
common causes include "redirected aggression" which is when something scares a cat when the other cat is merely nearby
Hi
Whether you live in a house, or an apartment, either locale can have new/strange animals that are entering your cats' territory. Artnj mentioned it, and I personally don't believe there's anything physically wrong with your cat. She has been emotionally ambushed by something, even including outside your living quarters, and her angst about it is causing her to react in such a strong way.

The cat I'd be almost more concerned about is your older boy. He is undergoing extreme stress and between him or her, would be the most likely candidate for a vet visit. Be absolutely sure you're closely watching his litterbox habits.

Are you using calming products?

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So just a little update. We believe our cat was exposed to synthentic hormones. Go figures. After 24 hours in lock down - the basement, she has been fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! Good news overall, but anyone have any idea where she was exposed so that you can take steps to avoid/prevent it in the future?

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! Good news overall, but anyone have any idea where she was exposed so that you can take steps to avoid/prevent it in the future?
Yes, it was my daughter's friend. Won't happen again.