My Kitty Has Bugs All On Her Head

kelseym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Geez... I'll describe this the best I can. I was cuddling with her Friday night and saw this thing move on her. I was like hmm weird. I brought out my flashlight and was grossed out... I saw all these tiny little bugs crawling on her poor head!!!! Some are black some are brown. They don't jump. They are very tiny. My boyfriend tried grabbing them but we can't get a hold of any of them. They are super fast! They don't seem to be on any other part of her body other than her head. What could this be?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably mites then. Have you tried Frontline? It worked for me when my cat had mites.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Frontline (Fipronil) is pretty safe as long as you put it on the back of the neck between the shoulder blades where they can't lick it. It kills fleas, ticks, lice, and mites. The vets also have something called Revolution that I think kills mites too, but I've never tried that one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelseym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think Frontline (Fipronil) is pretty safe as long as you put it on the back of the neck between the shoulder blades where they can't lick it. It kills fleas, ticks, lice, and mites. The vets also have something called Revolution that I think kills mites too, but I've never tried that one.
What would be cheaper for me?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get Frontline at the store or online. Revolution is prescription only from the vet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But a vet visit probably wouldn't be too expensive if you go to a Clinic, and they could show you how to put the drops on the back of the neck correctly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recommend a trip to the vet anyways. The vet can determine what the bugs are. It may be fleas, mites, or any other parasite. It's important to know the kind of bug so the proper medicine can be given. Some medicines only work on certain parasites.

Can you thoroughly comb your cat all over to try to remove the bugs? Use a fine toothed comb. They're not expensive at pet stores. You can dip the comb into a cup of soapy water to rinse off any bugs that get stuck. It would help to comb the cat on top of a light colored towel in case bugs just fall out of the fur as you are combing. You can take a picture of the bugs and send it to the vet for advice.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely take your cat to the vet to get proper treatment