My kitty and Hepatic Lipidosis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Izzy had her first check up with the primary vet vs critical care vet. She lost about 1/2 lb. They said they're not overly worried right now since she had a lot going on and because she IS eating. They didn't do blood work as she is still on medications. I'm instructed to finish her Ursodiol, Denamarin, and her steroid and she will get repeat blood work in a month. The vet said he wants to see what happens with her numbers without the steroid and whether or not she'll be on liver medications long term.

Of course if anything changes with her eating or behavior, I will contact them right away. She continues to do great at home. I wouldn't say she's 100% back to her normal self, but she's even begun playing and being silly!

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried. I thought my cat had only dropped 1/2 lb. However, I forgot they measure them in kg vs lbs. She went from 4.1 kg to 3.45 kg. That means she dropped 1.5 lbs in 2 weeks. I think that's a lot of weight in 2 weeks. :(

I for sure thought she was putting on weight, but guess not.

They both said that "she's been through a lot" and she just needs to catch up on her weight. I asked about keeping her on the prescription food as I'm out of it, but they said to just feed her wet food and try to incorporate dry food. She doesn't really show interest in dry food, which is odd because she was a great eater with her dry food before this all happened.

She still eats, but she will lick at the food first almost like she's licking all the moisture off. Then eventually, she'll eat the meat. I'm just worried that her feeding tube fell out too soon. :(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might see if you can find some canned food with higher calories that she might like. The tube probably did come out soon, but as long as she is eating she should still probably be ok. :alright:

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Izzy is eating like a pig, now. Both her dry and wet food!! She is acting more and more like herself everyday! I truly feel like this is a complete recovery. We will see what her labs show in a couple of weeks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Izzy is eating like a pig, now. Both her dry and wet food!! She is acting more and more like herself everyday! I truly feel like this is a complete recovery. We will see what her labs show in a couple of weeks!
Wonderful!!

KrustiKakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very excited to report that Izzy has officially made a full recovery from Fatty Liver Disease!!
I am going through somethign similar with my cat. I just posted in the health forum. Would I be able to ask you questions? Or if you wouldn't mind seeing my post in the health forum? I am at a loss on what to do and where to go. My cat is getting another ultrasound and a fine needle aspirate done. His vet hasn't offered many suggestions other than tube feedings, and pain meds. I am giving him Denamarin but it was at my own suggestion. I want to approach her with treatments as I think her view is very narrow. We are about 2 weeks in from diagnosis and 1.5 weeks with a feeding tube. Numbers are getting worse vs improving over the past week.

KrustiKakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so happy for you both. Job well done.
Hi Mrsgreenjeans. I just posted a thread on a similar topic. I am at a complete loss and I am hopoing for for advice/insight. If you have a moment to look over my thread in the health forum it would mean a lot.