My kitty and Hepatic Lipidosis

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It just seems like she mopes around depressed. She occasionally will rub up on my legs, but for the most part, moping. I know I need to be patient, it's just hard to see her this way. She isn't a fan of her tube, at all. Lol.
Well, she probably doesn't feel too well still, and now with the infection, may feel worse. Some of the meds may make her feel bad too.

Hang in there. Hopefully with this better food and if she has now stopped vomiting she will perk up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Izzy got amazing news today. Her bilirubin went from 11.8 to 2.8!! All of her other lab work was normal! She is starting to bathe herself, too!

She has been more interactive, rubbing up against my legs, and is starting to become her vocal self. She seems to be in a really good mood today!! She licked at food, but hasn't eaten any.

Her jaundice, petechiae, and bruising are much improved! They said other then the eating, she's doing great!!

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came home from work on Tuesday and found my cats feeding tube on the floor. She was a very happy kitty. Lol. Luckily, she started to eat on her own with the tube. She's been eating even more without it. Her lab work was stable today and we get to cut back on the nausea medications and are starting to wean her off steroids. She gets a check up in 2 weeks with her primary vet vs the critical care vets! Her bilirubin is down to 1.2! She is starting to act more like her normal self. Still weak with some things, but getting better!

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:winner::happycat:
Awesome news!!!! So glad to hear she's doing so much better. ❤

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great news ,although I think this is the first time I've heard of an E-tube getting "loose" on it's own! Our cat had his tube installed directly into his stomach so he had easy access to pulling it out, which he did, BEFORE he was ready. Had to have it reinstalled.

I'm so happy Izzy is doing so well :)

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news ,although I think this is the first time I've heard of an E-tube getting "loose" on it's own! Our cat had his tube installed directly into his stomach so he had easy access to pulling it out, which he did, BEFORE he was ready. Had to have it reinstalled.

I'm so happy Izzy is doing so well :)
They say it happens all of the time. Although, in Izzy's case, I believe it got caught on something and pulled out. I didn't think she was ready for it to be out, but she has surprised me.

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Izzy started out the week doing really well eating wet food after her tube fell out. Now, she isn't a huge fan of her wet food and mostly will only eat treats.

She'll lick at her wet food pretty frequently, but I never really see her eating the chunks of food. She'll eat her crunchy treats and Ive been using them as her meal since the package says you can. I'm worried she may have to get her tube back in if all I can get her to eat are Temptation treats. She isn't vomiting anything up which is good. Just worried.

Lis1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Izzy started out the week doing really well eating wet food after her tube fell out. Now, she isn't a huge fan of her wet food and mostly will only eat treats.

She'll lick at her wet food pretty frequently, but I never really see her eating the chunks of food. She'll eat her crunchy treats and Ive been using them as her meal since the package says you can. I'm worried she may have to get her tube back in if all I can get her to eat are Temptation treats. She isn't vomiting anything up which is good. Just worried.
I’m so happy i found you…my cat seems to have almost an identical story to yours. We are not treating her at home, the vet recommended hospital care. Question, did you ever have a day that your cat got worse before they got better after treatment started? We were told today that they don’t know if our cat can turn the corner and we are just trying to find some hope.

Lis1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so happy i found you…my cat seems to have almost an identical story to yours. We are not treating her at home, the vet recommended hospital care. Question, did you ever have a day that your cat got worse before they got better after treatment started? We were told today that they don’t know if our cat can turn the corner and we are just trying to find some hope.
Also, was she always having bowel movements or did it take awhile. Our vet hasn’t put in the feeding tube and unfortunately the overnight care place started giving her syringes last night.

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. My cat was pretty bad when I brought her in. Initially, I thought I'd be able to feed her at home because the day before she had eaten some wet food. However, within 1 day she was unable to eat and gagged at the smell of food. I would highly recommend a feeding tube as optimal nutrition is imperative for their liver. My vet is very against forced feedings as it can cause cats to have an aversion to food.

My cat's jaundice and bilirubin got way worse before getting better. The vet and I were both worried that she was in liver failure vs liver damage. We did some switching around of the food for tube feeding and she improved significantly. We still aren't out of the woods even though her lab work continues to look better every week. Her tube happened to fall out last week and I worry that I'll have to get it put back in if she isn't eating enough.

She is acting more and more like herself every day and has even began to play so I'm not overly worried. However, I don't want her to get worse when we've made so much progress.

Izzy was having bowel movements, but they were rabbit poop looking. Hopefully, they started your kitty on a medication called Reglan. That helped my kitty's bowels immensely. Please feel free to message me on here. I'd be happy to help!

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, was she always having bowel movements or did it take awhile. Our vet hasn’t put in the feeding tube and unfortunately the overnight care place started giving her syringes last night.
Also, do you know how long your cat was without food or feeling sick?

Lis1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, do you know how long your cat was without food or feeling sick?
It was about a week of noticing that she seemed a bit smaller and 48 hours of white foam throw up. The first few days in the hospital she was eating a little but last night when we took her to the overnight care she stopped eating. They made the choice to start syringe feeding her every 3 hours. They called us today and said her blood work was still going in the wrong direction and we needed another ultrasound to check for blockage or cancer again. We decided to wait until tomorrow morning and go to our regular vet to figure out our next steps. Her white blood cells went up today but that could be the stress from force feeding. We asked if we could take her home tonight and still continue treatment at home. They told us that if we did that , that we would be making the choice to discontinue her treatment and basically choosing to put her down. I’m so confused how so many people on these threads are able to treat their pets from home. And we don’t have that opportunity. Sometimes I feel like she might be less stressed out at home and actually eat. When we pick her up in the morning it will have been 36 hours that she has been at this overnight facility because our regular vet was closed today. I am excited to see her and I’m hoping that seeing the family will perk her up a bit and give her the world to fight still. This is such a horrible thing that happens to cats and I was just reading your post and feeling some hope for the first time. Our cat has yet to have a bowel movement and did not have the bruising that I am aware of. But I haven’t been able to really see under her bandages. She is only seven. It breaks my heart.

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was about a week of noticing that she seemed a bit smaller and 48 hours of white foam throw up. The first few days in the hospital she was eating a little but last night when we took her to the overnight care she stopped eating. They made the choice to start syringe feeding her every 3 hours. They called us today and said her blood work was still going in the wrong direction and we needed another ultrasound to check for blockage or cancer again. We decided to wait until tomorrow morning and go to our regular vet to figure out our next steps. Her white blood cells went up today but that could be the stress from force feeding. We asked if we could take her home tonight and still continue treatment at home. They told us that if we did that , that we would be making the choice to discontinue her treatment and basically choosing to put her down. I’m so confused how so many people on these threads are able to treat their pets from home. And we don’t have that opportunity. Sometimes I feel like she might be less stressed out at home and actually eat. When we pick her up in the morning it will have been 36 hours that she has been at this overnight facility because our regular vet was closed today. I am excited to see her and I’m hoping that seeing the family will perk her up a bit and give her the world to fight still. This is such a horrible thing that happens to cats and I was just reading your post and feeling some hope for the first time. Our cat has yet to have a bowel movement and did not have the bruising that I am aware of. But I haven’t been able to really see under her bandages. She is only seven. It breaks my heart.
I would strongly encourage you to have a feeding tube placed. It is time consuming and tedious at first, but my cat wouldn't have survived without one. She was very frail and weak in the beginning. I would cry constantly because she looked so sick and I really thought she was going to die.

The vet I took her to was an Emergency Care and Specialty vet. They have been fantastic. I begged them to hospitalize her in the beginning, but they assured me that I could do everything at home.

Make sure she is on Ursodiol and Denamarin. Those 2 drugs along with her anti-nausea meds I truly believe helped very very much.

Monitor your cat's behavior. Even though Izzy's lab work got worse, her behavior at home was improving. Because of that, the vets were hopeful. Like I said, we are not out of the woods. She is drinking water and eating on her own, but things can change quickly!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she been diagnosed with Hepatic Lipisosis or something else? I am curious as to why she has bandages? Also, how long has it been since she had a bowel movement? Why do they suspect a possible blockage? You said "another ultrasound" so obviously one or more were already done. What did they see? Why do they think possible blockage? If she hasn't been eating for quite some time, then there wouldn't be anything to come out the other end, so it wouldn't be unusual for no bowel movement until they started the force feeding. Even then, it takes a little while.

You might want to start up your own thread to tell us all about your cat and what is going on so others might be able to add their two cents to try to help as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Maybe try feeding her some other wet food. Do you still have some of the food you were using in her feeding tube. She may actually eat some of that, or anything that is different from her regular (old) wet food. She definitely needs to get her full calories in though, whatever it takes. It's great that she isn't vomiting! Is she still on any meds?

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try feeding her some other wet food. Do you still have some of the food you were using in her feeding tube. She may actually eat some of that, or anything that is different from her regular (old) wet food. She definitely needs to get her full calories in though, whatever it takes. It's great that she isn't vomiting! Is she still on any meds?
Yes, I feed her a bunch of different things to incorporate calories. I usually give her treats in the morning and I mix 1 can prescription wet food with another wet food. She'll usually eat that whole bowl while I'm asleep during the day for work. And then I'll give her another half can of food mixed again. I'll give more treats before leaving for work and leave bowls of dry food out while at work. The problem is is she's a grazer vs just chowing food down. My other cat will literally inhale food while it'll take Izzy hours to eat a whole can of wet food. Ha ha.

She is eating, but just at a slow pace.

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is still on her liver meds (Ursodiol and Denamarin) and her steroid every other day. Next week, we stop her steroid. If she's still doing good when she gets checked out on Tuesday, no more liver meds! Yay!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I feed her a bunch of different things to incorporate calories. I usually give her treats in the morning and I mix 1 can prescription wet food with another wet food. She'll usually eat that whole bowl while I'm asleep during the day for work. And then I'll give her another half can of food mixed again. I'll give more treats before leaving for work and leave bowls of dry food out while at work. The problem is is she's a grazer vs just chowing food down. My other cat will literally inhale food while it'll take Izzy hours to eat a whole can of wet food. Ha ha.

She is eating, but just at a slow pace.
My two are the same way. One inhales his food and the other eats a few bites and walks away, then returns a few minutes later. Problem is I have to try to keep the inhaler away the entire time, so I feed them in separate rooms and then STILL have to monitor the other cat who keeps barging in :lol: I keep reminding him he's already eaten and he looks at me with those eyes like "what? no you didn't"

But I pull up the food after about half an hour, otherwise I'd never get anything at all done since I have to so closely monitor that food dish. Honestly :sigh: (I'm doing it right now and every time I turn my head to read what I have typed, the one cat makes a move for the bowl :angrywoman:)
Are you keeping your two separated in order to keep food out for Izzy all the time?

Nothing wrong with eating at a slow pace as long as she's eating

Catlover0188

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two are the same way. One inhales his food and the other eats a few bites and walks away, then returns a few minutes later. Problem is I have to try to keep the inhaler away the entire time, so I feed them in separate rooms and then STILL have to monitor the other cat who keeps barging in :lol: I keep reminding him he's already eaten and he looks at me with those eyes like "what? no you didn't"

But I pull up the food after about half an hour, otherwise I'd never get anything at all done since I have to so closely monitor that food dish. Honestly :sigh: (I'm doing it right now and every time I turn my head to read what I have typed, the one cat makes a move for the bowl :angrywoman:)
Are you keeping your two separated in order to keep food out for Izzy all the time?

Nothing wrong with eating at a slow pace as long as she's eating
Yes, I separate them in separate rooms while I'm at home, but can't do this while I'm at work.

I can tell she's putting on weight. She gets a check up with her primary on Tuesday!